PDA

View Full Version : TALONCLUB.com may be going down/away soon

Silver_2000
02-26-2003, 11:00 AM
I just received a move it or loose it email from the Webhost.

I am not experienced enough to feel comfortable moving my sites to a Dedicated server - But I may not have a choice

They have threatened to shut the site down.

If they do you will know why...

My apologies in advance

Doug

L8 APEX
02-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Does that affect all of the TALON sites or a specific section? Any solid reason, money, space...?

Silver_2000
02-26-2003, 11:20 AM
More info here

http://www.talonclub.com/4images/index.html

I have taken the galleries down for the time being..

We are very clear about the the design of the bulk reseller accounts not being intended for larger sites. They are intended to be used for small and medium-sized sites with little resource usage. Any larger account found running on the bulk servers will be suspended immediately for excessive resource consumption.

Talonclub.com is definitely over its bounds on even a V500 and needs to be moved off centipede as soon as possible.

We were hoping to give you the opportunity to resolve this through the current VPS discussion instead of needing to resort to a move-or-suspension e-mail in the near future. Nobody likes to be pushed to a new hosting plan they hadn’t planned on, so our current e-mails seemed to be a more friendly way of going about it. Unfortunately, talonclub.com has been identified as needing to be moved. We’d like to help you with this, and we really don’t want it to come to the point of needing to suspend in order to preserve server performance.

Doug

L8 APEX
02-26-2003, 11:28 AM
So we are too great for their **** hole server:flaming: Do we need to buy a larger plan with them, remove certain forums/sections to meet their limits. ie Photo gallery, chat, RC:D. Seek a larger server elsewhere? Andy Cain expressed the ability to get space from his employer SUN Systems cheap.
Damn I tripped the filter:banana:

MadMax
02-26-2003, 11:36 AM
Doug, If needed remove the Focus section etc. You might have to get back to the core basics? Your decision. No heart feelings on any decisions made. jw

tliss
02-26-2003, 01:31 PM
That's :bs . Hopefully we can remedy the situation. Let us know if you need anything.

Tom

03LightningRocks
02-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Doug,

I have no problem with you needing to up the yearly membership dues if this would help keep things up and running.

Just tell me how much $$ it will take. We need a sight for local owners.

Rocks:beer:

mercbuff
02-26-2003, 03:01 PM
hey guys yall know i have only been a member a couple of months but i look at this site a couple times a day and yall keep me laughing almost all day (terry and his wise cracks) if its about money i know i would be willing to pay a monthly membership fee i have gotton alot of information and enjoyed the drags at denton . and i just like the local deal
so doug just make it happen :cool:

Silver_2000
02-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the support guys BUT the costs are going to jump from ~$50 a month for all the sites to ~$120 a month.

The $70 difference X 12 months is $840 a year. That is BEST case. I am working on some options. The idea of upping the membership dues is a possibility however we currently have 20 or so members that have contributed. Dividing up the 840 is almost $45 a person... Not acceptable in my mind...

One thing you guys can do is see if you can help find local vendors that might be interested in a banner ad.

I am looking at all the options and hope to know more in a few days.

Doug

L8 APEX
02-26-2003, 03:36 PM
What is the math by 30 contributors? 30/840=28 bucks. I am willing to throw in 40 bucks along with my supporting vendor funds. If I understand correctly that is only the difference to make the rest of the year. So next year it would be more. At least that will buy time to get more quality support.
I would like to see some of the internal IT member recources come up with a good support solution.:tu:

L8 APEX
02-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Or how about we divide support levels by income bracket:D Then Logan and Sixpipes would cover most of it:twitch: Whatever we do don't charge by the post:eek2:

Sixpipes
02-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
Or how about we divide support levels by income bracket:D Then Logan and Sixpipes would cover most of it:twitch:
And we thank you for your support...........http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/eyebrow.gif

Moonshine
02-26-2003, 03:48 PM
Doug,

I don't know what I'm talking about, so feel free to ignore me, but you indicated we only have about 20 paying members, although we have several hundred registered users. Would it be feasible to do something like charge $5 to register as a user?

99WhiteBeast
02-26-2003, 04:25 PM
Although we may only have 20 contributing members there are others that should contribute.

We could always have a raffle to see when JD will get his truck running:D

All proceeds go to keeping Talon running strong:burnout: :beer:

Wht95Lightning
02-26-2003, 04:46 PM
I paid my dues but I am willing to help with more $ if needed. Those of us who haven't contributed YET should hurry up and do so. Don't put off til tomorrow what you can do today!

98Cobra
02-26-2003, 04:56 PM
How much bandwidth are we talking? I assume that's the issue. Perhaps I could find us some cheap bandwidth....

Silver_2000
02-26-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by 98Cobra
How much bandwidth are we talking? I assume that's the issue. Perhaps I could find us some cheap bandwidth....

Thats the frustrating part ... They are after me cause of "hits" hits dont mean ****. I am NOT using 2/3 of the bandwidth I am paying for and not using 2/4 of the space I am paying for yet they say i am using too many resources...

Here are the stats for Talonclub.com for Feb so far
http://www.svtlightnings.com/talon/stats/talonstats.htm

jmlay
02-26-2003, 05:45 PM
I know an indvidual that provides hosting services. I can enqire about his rates if you wish. That is if you wish to move the site.

How much storage space does the site require, etc...?

Mike

Silver_2000
02-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Moonshine
Doug,

I don't know what I'm talking about, so feel free to ignore me, but you indicated we only have about 20 paying members, although we have several hundred registered users. Would it be feasible to do something like charge $5 to register as a user?

Moonshine - I appreciate all the ideas however this would be a nitemare to administer. AND we need to keep as much of the content here open to maximize the views of the banner ads.

I have considered closing more parts of the forum to members only BUT there are similar downsides.

What would you guys think of closing the
For Sale section to Members only ?
The Supporting vendors section ?

We could also close the entire forum so it was only viewable by regsitered users. BUT that would adversly affect the banner ads again...

Any more ideas ?

Doug

L8 APEX
02-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Call me crazy but I don't agree with closing the vendor forums:nono: Bandwidth is what the web is sold by on not hits:bs

T Hogg
02-26-2003, 09:51 PM
I know that I'm one of the non contributing members. But I'm willing to contribute whatever we need to keep this site up.

So, Doug let me/us non contributing members know where to send our $$.

Silver_2000
02-26-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by T Hogg
I know that I'm one of the non contributing members. But I'm willing to contribute whatever we need to keep this site up.

So, Doug let me/us non contributing members know where to send our $$.

Thanks Terry. The Support Talon Announcement at the top
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/announcement.php?s=&forumid=2

Has most if the details you and the others that have emailed me need.

An easy way to tell who has already helped WAS to look at the Members who had their own category in the now closed galleries. I had planned on implementing a method of reflecting the supporting members in the Forum. David N recommended I look at Prowleronline.com - They have a star system they use to show who the supporting members are. In the NEAR future the next version of VB will be out - Once it is released I think it will allow those kinds of features. Another thing that POA does is they have a Paypal donation button on the home page and a running tab of the donations to date. We are considering the same things.

I would MUCH rather have $$ from ads or supporting vendors or web-hosting. A couple of you have talked about getting some help with websites. Whether it is a personal site or a site for your company or a business you know, we can help with hosting at a first class site

LIST :
Supporting Members

03LightningRocks
380hp
98cobra
99WhiteBeast
andy_cain
Autothrottle
blueoval01
Crawford
David N
dboat
devildog92
Flats Man
jmlay
Logan
MadMax
Mark #2
mercbuff
Moonshine
Sixpipes
tliss
Tony2000
whitelightning'02
Wht95Lightning
Winterhawk

Supporting Vendors

L8 APEX
lightningconcepts

Thanks ALL !!!

03LightningRocks
02-27-2003, 12:23 AM
Doug,

How much time do we have before this thing comes to a head?

Like I said in my last post, it means alot to me to have a local forum like this. I am sure it does to others also.

From this business owners opinion, having maximum exposure to as many folks as possible will make the supporting vendors more money, which in turn will give them reason to pay more money for the space. Helping us to insure longevity.

So again, I vote, let's pony up what we need, some can afford to do more than others, and keep the forum open as much as possible. I personally don't feel like I need to have some extra special privaledge if I contribute more than someone else.

Rocks:beer:

Crawford
02-27-2003, 12:40 AM
I will be more than willing to pitch in some more $ to help the website stay alive.

L8 APEX
02-27-2003, 12:42 AM
I am already going through picture gallery withdrawals. I just moved them over from F150!:crying:

Badcarma
02-27-2003, 12:52 AM
Doug,

I am more than willing to donate, I tried to once at home but, that stupid AOL account kept me from using paypal and logging on. I tried to pay in cash once, but you said it would be hard to keep track of. SO, let me pay you next time we meet!!! I probably won't be at the next few meetings do to being very busy at the hospital. Maybe when I finish the Nitro truck this weekend we can square up. I am ready for my first test and tune:D Just need to run a few tanks of fuel first...and adjust my clutch:twitch:

Scott

Silver_2000
02-27-2003, 01:05 AM
I just got another email from the Host. I have talked them back away from the disconnect switch. :banana:

BUT I am pretty much committed to either a significant server upgrade OR a significant decrease in the services and features to lower the server resources we are using.

I have been a bit naive - I assumed we were running like 3 or 4 members online in the forum at a time BUT the past few days we have been running closer to 15 or more pretty regular...

As I stated I have a meeting next week with a hosting customer that will help me decide. if they tell me to go **** myself well it will put significant crimp in things. :eek2:

BUT We are pretty much committed to bout $119 a month. The thing that bothers me is it is another $35 a month for backups... The thing is I dont want or need daily back ups... Weekly would be plenty... Ill see if I can work a deal ...

The HUGE upside of the resources we would get for $119 is that we would have disk space and resources for lost of cool new stuff...

Doug

Silver_2000
02-27-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Badcarma
I tried to once at home but, that stupid AOL account kept me from using paypal and logging on.
Scott

Scott,

USE Internet explorer rather than the browser in AOL. It will work MUCH better....

The big blue E icon on your desktop is t he one you need to use...

Doug

03LightningRocks
02-27-2003, 01:17 AM
Just let us know Doug...........Hell, this sight just saved me from making 2400 mile round trip to sit in the rain and curse:eek2:

Rocks:tu:

Tony2000
02-27-2003, 01:23 AM
Let me know how I can help. I'm willing to put some extra cash to help out and keep the forum alive.

Doug send me a PM about the supporting vendor info.

tony

tliss
02-27-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
- I assumed we were running like 3 or 4 members online in the forum at a time BUT the past few days we have been running closer to 15 or more pretty regular...

Doug

You figure the past few days nobody could really do much of anything else. We had the time, so we got as much of our daily fix as we could!!

Tom

98Cobra
02-27-2003, 09:02 AM
Uh, I gave money to Dennis, but my name isn't on the list! What up wit dat?

That being said, I can give more to help out.

Silver_2000
02-27-2003, 09:27 AM

That being said, I can give more to help out.

Thats the BIG reason I wanted to use paypal-- That way there is a record.

Garrett, Ill get with 6'er to see what else he is holding out on me... Doug

Sixpipes
02-27-2003, 09:35 AM

And all this time I thought that was from Kelly. http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/naughty.gif

Sixpipes
02-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
Thats the frustrating part ... They are after me cause of "hits" hits dont mean ****. I am NOT using 2/3 of the bandwidth I am paying for and not using 2/4 of the space I am paying for yet they say i am using too many resources...

http://www.svtlightnings.com/talon/stats/talonstats.htm
OK. Somebody out there has got to have a decent solution before we progress to the dunkin booth option. (Actually, I understand there are a few guys in Florida that might drive up for that fund raiser :p ). But seriously folks, in today's economy, surely someone can host this site at a reasonable cost. We're are now open for additional ideas. I'm thinking we should first attempt to negotiate with the current service provider. I propose taking Moonshine and L8_Apex (complete with hardware and prairie dog apparel) to make a house call. Where do these Bozos live? :cool:

tliss
02-27-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Sixpipes
I propose taking Moonshine and L8_Apex (complete with hardware and prairie dog apparel) to make a house call.

I know if those guys came by moy house dressed like that I'd give in to their demands!:D:D

Tom

Logan
02-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Site is now being hosted on my private server... Had 20gb of bandwidth not being used, so... Merry Christmas. :)

99WhiteBeast
02-27-2003, 04:13 PM
Game on

Fing eh:tu:
Everyone buys Logan a round and the next meeting:beer:

tliss
02-27-2003, 04:13 PM
Logan, Our Hero!!!!:bows :bows

Let us know if there's a need for some fundage! As you can see, a bunch of the guys are more than willing to help!

Tom

MadMax
02-27-2003, 04:14 PM
presto-chango or somthing :D

tliss
02-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by 99WhiteBeast

Everyone buys Logan a round and the next meeting:beer:

Logan's going to be one drunk puppy!

:vomit: :tu:

Tom

David N
02-27-2003, 04:28 PM
:tu: :tu:

Silver_2000
02-27-2003, 04:49 PM
As far as i can tell we lost one post in the change

BRENTSLIGHTNING made a post
Brent - please post it again.. We didnt mean to lose your first post

Doug

Beaudee
01-16-2006, 05:44 PM
I think i am about do for dues:rll: No problem here for an increase Doug,let me know how i can help.Beau:tu:

Silver_2000
01-16-2006, 05:58 PM
I think i am about do for dues:rll: No problem here for an increase Doug,let me know how i can help.Beau:tu:
Beau

You brought a 2003 thread back to life - It was fun reading ...

If you click the announcement at he top pf the forums there is a link to the subscriptions info there - It should tell you when the subscription expires and how to renew

Thanks
Doug

03LightningRocks
01-16-2006, 06:15 PM

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/wabac.gif

Beaudee
01-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Someone is gona half to post a link to this 2003 thread.

03LightningRocks
01-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Someone is gona half to post a link to this 2003 thread.

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/paypal-join.gif (http://www.talonclub.com/forum/announcement.php?f=2)

Alpine
01-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Dang, I am a supporting Member and not on the list. :confused: Do I need to send anymore money? You name it, I will send it. Whatever I can do to help.
Jeff.

Silver_2000
01-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Dang, I am a supporting Member and not on the list. :confused: Do I need to send anymore money? You name it, I will send it. Whatever I can do to help.
Jeff.

Yes jeff Send me $700 or an Xbox 360 premium which ever is easier and Ill add you to the list of supporting members from 2003 :rll:
This thread is almost 3 years old

Alpine
01-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Oh Sh!t...:beer: My bad, who the heck looks at the date, obviously not me! I am going to go in the corner and feel like an idiot now.:burnout:

Silver_2000
01-16-2006, 10:40 PM
no worries - Its reassuring to see people are still enthused about the site ...
Thanks again to Logan for stepping up and allowing us to share his server - We are still enjoying the generosity of his CPU's almost 3 years later. Even more amazing is I havent taken the whole damn thing down and turned it into rubbish by using a wrong *nix command...

Alpine
01-16-2006, 10:43 PM
no worries - Its reassuring to see people are still enthused about the site ...
Thanks again to Logan for stepping up and allowing us to share his server - We are still enjoying the generosity of his CPU's:tu: :d

dboat
01-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Holy Cow Batman,
I thought when I saw this that it was current at first.. whew..
Dana

02BOLT
01-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Oh Sh!t...:beer: My bad, who the heck looks at the date, obviously not me! I am going to go in the corner and feel like an idiot now.:burnout:

No need to go all the way to the corner...:eek: