PDA

View Full Version : Converters a comin'

L8 APEX
02-23-2003, 09:52 PM
I am installing a new style of converter in a test truck in about a week. It should be a very affordable unit compared to most offered. Quality has not been comprimised it is a true billet converter not modified OEM style. You can choose a HD single clutch disc or triple plate. Starting @ 875 installed! That is less than the purchase price of most converters on the market:banana:
Trying to give you more go for your dough:tu:

cpeapea
02-24-2003, 11:44 PM
sweet! what stall 2400? what brand is it also? i just might have to make a trip to cresson (sp?)

L8 APEX
02-24-2003, 11:54 PM
They will be made to spec by ArtCarr:tu:

cpeapea
02-25-2003, 03:28 PM
so theyre going to be better than the old artcarrs?

L8 APEX
02-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Yes I talked with the engineer for a long time. He said the old converters were a carry over of the old Gen 1 converters. They found out they were dealing with a different motor and needs of the G2 trucks. The supercharged torque of the new motors was stalling up the converters higher than desired and burning up clutches etc. So they have designed a totally new converter for the Gen2 trucks. It is larger, and more efficient than the old design.

cpeapea
02-25-2003, 06:43 PM
gravy!:tu:

f150freak
03-15-2003, 05:20 AM
Hey man,

It's been over a week and you haven't said how the new converter is performing. You got my attetion when you said a good quality converter without sacrificing anything.

L8 APEX
03-15-2003, 08:54 AM
The snow storm put Art Carr behind sine they are in Abiline. It should be in early next week.:tu:

cpeapea
03-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Ron just got one, hit him up and ask him how it works for him

03LightningRocks
03-19-2003, 04:01 AM
I used it for the first time last Friday at Ennis. I am still working on what RPM to launch at, but I managed a 1.70 sixty foot. My best before this was a 1.8X.

I will see if I can get a 1.6x out of it this Friday.

Rocks

L8 APEX
03-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Well after wrestling the tranny in Rob's truck Saturday the Art Carr converter was installed. Man she feels so nice! Very well mannered for normal driving. She stalls a little high it seems, about 2400 power braking on the street. It now hits the tires harder than the drag radials would like so they spin a lot more than stock. It feels very efficient and powerful on the highway. When the converter locks up it feels like a manual transmision:banana: :cool: I was worried only PI's were a good converter at almost a grand a piece:eek2: These are a good unit for much less:beer: More testing to follow:tu:

Crawford
03-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Sounds interesting. I am still leary of the Art Carrs after all the bad reviews I have read about them. Keep the feedback coming. I am listening! :D

L8 APEX
03-28-2003, 11:34 PM
I like the way it pulls in OD and top end. If you are doing 70mph and turn off O/D where it is in 3rd gear. You can jump on the gas and it learches back and fourth like an automatic. I have run Art Carr's in F-bodies with good results. Rob just called me fron the track tonight and has run a best 60' of 1.69 so far. He had to let out due to detonation but tripped the 1/8th @ 8.001 sec and 80mph.

03LightningRocks
03-28-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by L8 ****
I like the way it pulls in OD and top end. If you are doing 70mph and turn off O/D where it is in 3rd gear. You can jump on the gas and it learches back and fourth like an automatic. I have run Art Carr's in F-bodies with good results. Rob just called me fron the track tonight and has run a best 60' of 1.69 so far. He had to let out due to detonation but tripped the 1/8th @ 8.001 sec and 80mph.

Terry,

That is the same Art Carr that is in my truck. Only difference is I have a Monster Box installed. When your test driving it tommorrow, let me know what you think.
By the way...I have my Metco uppers "loose"(no preload) Those factory F1's may wheel hop on the street.

Let me know. Also don't forget to listen for a drone when doing about 80. You seem to hear it when you let off at 80 and let it coast for a few seconds. This may be my imagination, let me know Doc.

Rocks

L8 APEX
03-29-2003, 10:30 AM
I drove it 30 feet to pull it in the shop last night. I could tell something felt all jacked up. I will see if I can isolate it today.