PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Quest RV Rental in Rockwall

Moonshine
10-23-2011, 11:08 AM
On June 24, 2011 I rented a motorhome from Quest RV Rental in Rockwall for a week long out of state vacation. Within 24 hours I discovered several defects with the motorhome (non-functional kitchen exhaust fan, fresh water system valves that were inoperable, and an A/C unit that froze up several times a day), but none of those problems kept me from using the motorhome.

However, on June 26th the on board hydraulic leveling system malfunctioned, and the motorhome couldn't be driven (front wheels in the air). I called the Quest on-call mechanic, and he was able to talk me through resetting the system so I could raise the jacks and continue my trip. After spending the day sightseeing I ended up at a different park that evening and when I tried to lower the jacks to level the motorhome the system malfunctioned again, with the jacks stuck partially down. The leveling system went into an alarm mode, so if I tried to drive it a piercing alarm sounded continuously. So, the motorhome could not be leveled where it was, nor could it be driven. Despite nearly an hour on the phone, the on call mechanic was unable to talk me through any repairs.

On June 27th I spoke to Quest RV office manager Helen Fortier who confirmed the condition of the motorhome by stating "You can't drive it that way". The mechanic tried to locate a mobile RV service who could come repair the motorhome, but they were all booked for the next week. The mechanic ended by saying that he didn't know what to do. Quest never offered to send a mechanic to my location or to deliver a replacement motorhome.

I remained stranded in place until June 30 when I called Quest, told them I had to return to Texas the next day, and asked if I needed to call a cab, start walking, or what. It quickly became apparent that Quest had done nothing during the previous three days to effect repairs. Late that afternoon the mechanic called me, tried a different procedure, and we were able to get the jack system fully retracted and the alarm silenced. Although the motorhome still couldn't be leveled I was at least able to drive it back to Texas on July 1.

When I dropped the motorhome off with Quest I told Fortier to think about an appropriate refund and contact me the next week. The contract states that if the motorhome is "inoperable" for 12 or more hours on a given day, the remedy is to refund the daily rental rate for that day. The daily rental rate for the motorhome I was in was $289. Per the contract, $289 x four days of inoperability = $1156, or about half of what I'd paid. I was willing to settle for a $600 refund, or roughly 25% of the total rental cost.

On July 8 Fortier sent me an email offering a $150 refund. I called her and asked how she had arrived at that figure. She said they they were offering to refund the pet fee I'd paid to take my dog on the motorhome.

Despite numerous attempts, Quest has never budged from their $150 offer. Although Fortier admitted that she used the precise words "You can't drive it that way" they now maintain that the motorhome was never "inoperable".

So, if you ever decide to rent a motorhome for a trip, based on my experience, I'd suggest being very wary of Quest RV Rentals at 311 National Drive in Rockwall, Tx.

Moonshine
10-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Whoops. typo in the title. Should read RV Rental, not EV. Doug, if that's something I can edit I haven't figured out how.

Silver_2000
10-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Done

May the Google be with you ...

Moonshine
10-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Done

May the Google be with you ...

Thanks. :evil

tiffo60
10-24-2011, 10:35 AM
You should think building a cheap website called Quest RV rental Sucks.com or something like that. Get it done for 4 or 5 bucks and use it as a big poster board for your experience. Seen this done for a geico insurance problem it worked flawlessly.:d

Silver_2000
10-24-2011, 09:38 PM
google
Quest RV Rental in Rockwall defects

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Quest+RV+Rental+in+Rockwall+defects

He has already made an impression on Google
By tomorrow the word sucks will be added to the results

Moonshine
10-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Beware the google. :tu: Actually, when I was searching them on google the other day I came across another customer who'd had an equally terrible experience with them.

98Cobra
10-25-2011, 07:02 PM
If you paid with a credit card and did not get what you were promised in your contract, call the card company and initiate a chargeback. Seems open and shut to me, although depending on the card issuer you only have a certain amount of time to initiate that chargeback.

98Cobra
10-25-2011, 07:06 PM
I would also leave this review here: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=quest+rv+rental+rockwall&fb=1&gl=us&hq=quest+rv+rental&hnear=0x864c01cd97e086a7:0x8a2dddbb5ebe306b,Rockwa ll,+TX&cid=484741034135003579&dtab=2&action=openratings&ei=aE6nTtKsF6OoiAKfhe2yDQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=write-review&resnum=2&ved=0CFQQtwQwAQ

Moonshine
10-25-2011, 08:49 PM
If you paid with a credit card and did not get what you were promised in your contract, call the card company and initiate a chargeback. Seems open and shut to me, although depending on the card issuer you only have a certain amount of time to initiate that chargeback.

I did, and the CC issuer denied it. They said that absent a written confirmation from a third party expert (read a mechanic) that the motorhome was inoperable that they could not accept my word that the motorhome was indeed broken down. I pointed out that if I could have gotten a mechanic out there I wouldn't have needed a note, as the mechanic simply would have fixed the damn thing and I'd have been on my way. They conceded the catch 22, but said those were the rules. I inquired about a hypothetical scenario where I ordered something off the internet and it never arrived, would I need a note from the mailman or the FedEx guy? They said that in that case they would accept the cardholders word, but in this circumstance, it was a quality of product issue.

98Cobra
10-26-2011, 12:50 PM
I did, and the CC issuer denied it. They said that absent a written confirmation from a third party expert (read a mechanic) that the motorhome was inoperable that they could not accept my word that the motorhome was indeed broken down. I pointed out that if I could have gotten a mechanic out there I wouldn't have needed a note, as the mechanic simply would have fixed the damn thing and I'd have been on my way. They conceded the catch 22, but said those were the rules. I inquired about a hypothetical scenario where I ordered something off the internet and it never arrived, would I need a note from the mailman or the FedEx guy? They said that in that case they would accept the cardholders word, but in this circumstance, it was a quality of product issue.

Sounds like you need a second rant naming and shaming your credit card issuer :)

Moonshine
07-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Update - I thought this was a long dead issue, but in March I received an email from BBB that stated that I could enter into binding arbitration with Quest if I wanted to. I bit, paid the $35 arbitration fee, and went to arbitration in June. Quest and I both stated our respective cases to the arbitrator. It became apparent that the owner of Quest was never fully informed by his employees of the unresolved problems we had in his coach. Today, the arbitrator issued her ruling and awarded me exactly what the contract calls for, four full days of refund at the full daily rate. If Quest does not make the refund within 15 days I'm to notify the BBB. I'll post a follow up on what they do.

Braker85
07-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Glad to hear you at least have a judgment. Hopefully they pay up soon.

Silver_2000
07-16-2012, 07:29 PM
glad to hear it
adding problems to the google index

dboat
07-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Brian, when you get that cash, you going to throw a party?

Dana