PDA

View Full Version : Tim Richmond

Mark #2
10-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Don't know if any of you watched 30/30 tonight but the Tim Richmond story was really sad and really scary for some of us that might have done similar things in the 80s.

In2deep
10-19-2010, 10:06 PM
I read about it, i think he was closet gay..

99WhiteBeast
10-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Check out the movie/documentary called 'TOGETHER: The Hendrick Motorsports Story'. It is very good.

Moonshine
10-20-2010, 06:04 PM
I watched it. Pretty good show, but I hadn't remember that he had died of AIDS. Perhaps that part was kept pretty quiet at the time?

Mark #2
10-20-2010, 06:36 PM
I watched it. Pretty good show, but I hadn't remember that he had died of AIDS. Perhaps that part was kept pretty quiet at the time?
Yes, it was kept very quiet, remember this was the 80s, and very little understanding and extreme paranoia. NASCAR knew it but kept it quiet to protect their image.

Remember Magic retired a decade later after protests from his fellow players.
I thought it was interesting that Dale Sr, supported Tim to be allowed to race knowing Tim's condition, and in that time showed physical contact with him in that effort.

In2deep
10-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes, it was kept very quiet, remember this was the 80s, and very little understanding and extreme paranoia. NASCAR knew it but kept it quiet to protect their image.

Remember Magic retired a decade later after protests from his fellow players.
I thought it was interesting that Dale Sr, supported Tim to be allowed to race knowing Tim's condition, and in that time showed physical contact with him in that effort.

Dale Sr, was a class act.. Rip

Moonshine
10-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Dale Sr, was a class act.. Rip

Dale Sr. was a competitor to the core, and he respected those who felt the same way about racing. And Richmond fell into that group, along with Neil Bonnett and Cale Yarborough.

IMHO, NASCAR has never been the same since Dale was killed, and I don't follow it nearly as closely as I did when I could watch Dale.