PDA

View Full Version : Mods and Gas Mileage

Dennis the Menace
05-02-2002, 06:12 PM
Being a new owner (true blue), I am thinking a lot about mods. However, I am going to have to approach them slowly due to limited funds (one kid in college and another starting next year). So far, all I have done is a K&N panel filter and cut out the bottom of the airbox.

Since it is my daily driver, I first want to look at any mods that will improve my gas mileage. I would expect that any mods that help the breathing should also help the MPG (like intake or exhaust). In general, what effect do a larger lower pulley and chip do to the MPG? What about electric fan, water pump, etc.?

Does anyone have a list of all the mods and how each might affect the MGP? By the way, I have been getting 13-14 MPG so far, depending on how heavy my foot is.

BTW, I love this truck!

Silver_2000
05-02-2002, 10:00 PM
Gas Mileage ??
:D
LOL
:d
ROFLMAO

Doug

Red2002
05-02-2002, 10:19 PM
Sorry bro but I'm gonna have to agree with Doug on this one. If you want to improve gas mileage, then sell the truck and get something else.

Otherwise, put your foot to the floor and enjoy that 11mpg. Yeah it sucks, but the truck is just too much fun to worry too much about it.

Good luck!

L8 APEX
05-02-2002, 11:04 PM
LOL:D No such thing.. The only mod that helped my milage was the fan kit and water pump. about 1-2 MPG. Before that I was heading towards mid 9's. Pulley eats more fuel and whenever you open up intake/exhaust you consume more fuel period. She takes $premium too!

Crawford
05-02-2002, 11:23 PM
I have a chip, filter, shift kit, and 2lb pulley. I have run a best of 12.84 @ 108.19 on stock tires and I get right at 13 mpg all city driving with a pretty mild foot. Hope that helps. :confused:

P.S. Thats a 12.842... Have to keep Brian in check! :tu:

Moonshine
05-03-2002, 10:07 AM
Well, I've only managed a best of 12.843 at 106.51 on street tires, but I've done it with just a chip and filter, so take that Crawford. :hammer: My driving is mostly highway, and with a fairly light foot most of the time, I average in the low 15 MPG range. Gotta agree with the others, if you're looking for mileage sell the L. and buy a diesel.

98Cobra
05-03-2002, 10:14 AM
I get about 13-14 either way - coasting all the time or foot to the floor. Just drive it and enjoy it, and be glad you aren't buying gas somewhere like Germany or Hong Kong - those prices are waaay worse than here! :D

wesman
05-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Crawford
I have a chip, filter, shift kit, and 2lb pulley. I have run a best of 12.84 @ 108.19 on stock tires and I get right at 13 mpg all city driving with a pretty mild foot. Hope that helps. :confused:

P.S. Thats a 12.842... Have to keep Brian in check! :tu:

What sort of shifter kit do you have ? Researching mods and haven't come across a shifter kit yet.

Thanks !

--wes

Crawford
05-03-2002, 10:52 AM
I have a linemod valve from JDM. You can find the info on www.teamjdm.com

I would also check out the PSP valve body over at http://www.powersurgeperformance.net/

Either one will serve you well, I love mine! :burnout:

L8 APEX
05-03-2002, 12:48 PM
I carry the valve body it is a complete kit vs. just more line pressure.