Sandman
07-12-2010, 10:58 PM
How much would you pay for this option?

http://jalopnik.com/5584808/gm-will-now-let-you-build-your-own-corvette-engine

dboat
07-13-2010, 06:00 AM
How much would you pay for this option?

http://jalopnik.com/5584808/gm-will-now-let-you-build-your-own-corvette-engine

they charge you an extra $5800 for the experience..

Dana

Silver_2000
07-13-2010, 07:06 AM
cool video

I bet tons of people will do it - they also allow you to pay the corvette museum for museum delivery - you can watch your final build as it goes through the factory ...

_PlzktN4Ql4

BradOcean
07-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Wait, wait let me get this straight. So YOU pay THEM $5800.00 so you can work at THEIR factory and build YOUR engine in the car YOU are paying for?!?! WOW. That just sounds crazy, but like you said people will do it. I mean would you pay MMR, JLP, etc. a couple grand so you could build their motor that they are selling to you? I mean if you were saving money on the labor by doing it yourself...maybe..but then why wouldnt you just build one yourself? Just a thought. :confused:LOL i guess it just boils down to people have all kinds of money to throw around. I unfortunately dont have that problem.:rll:

dboat
07-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Wait, wait let me get this straight. So YOU pay THEM $5800.00 so you can work at THEIR factory and build YOUR engine in the car YOU are paying for?!?! WOW. That just sounds crazy, but like you said people will do it. I mean would you pay MMR, JLP, etc. a couple grand so you could build their motor that they are selling to you? I mean if you were saving money on the labor by doing it yourself...maybe..but then why wouldnt you just build one yourself? Just a thought. :confused:LOL i guess it just boils down to people have all kinds of money to throw around. I unfortunately dont have that problem.:rll:

You arent saving them any money.. they are supervising you so that you dont screw up the engine build.. I imagine that it goes a LOT slower than the guy that doesnt have to mess with someone else while he is building the engine.
Also, you get the bragging rights, the video, the youtube experience of building the engine that went into your Vette.. there is value to all of that, question is.. is it worth $5800 to you for the experience? maybe so..

Dana

BradOcean
07-13-2010, 05:02 PM
You arent saving them any money.. they are supervising you so that you dont screw up the engine build.. I imagine that it goes a LOT slower than the guy that doesnt have to mess with someone else while he is building the engine.
Also, you get the bragging rights, the video, the youtube experience of building the engine that went into your Vette.. there is value to all of that, question is.. is it worth $5800 to you for the experience? maybe so..

Dana

Yea i guess...I just cant get past the me paying them to work in their shop. But me getting paid to be a diesel mechanic my whole life doesnt help my outlook to that situation LOL.:icon_mrgreen: To each his own:tu:

dboat
07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Yea i guess...I just cant get past the me paying them to work in their shop. But me getting paid to be a diesel mechanic my whole life doesnt help my outlook to that situation LOL.:icon_mrgreen: To each his own:tu:

Brad, believe me, I understand where you are coming from.. but I also understand where Chevrolet is coming from as well.. wonder what their insurance company has to say about all of this as well..:icon_question:

Dana

BradOcean
07-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Brad, believe me, I understand where you are coming from.. but I also understand where Chevrolet is coming from as well.. wonder what their insurance company has to say about all of this as well..:icon_question:

Dana

I bet their warranty department threw a fit.

Mark #2
07-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Do you have become a union member to do this?

I worked on developing torque to yield bolts and the equipment seen in the video as a COOP student, and got in trouble for touching a piece of equipment because I wasn't a union member and a union member reported me.

Sandman
07-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Do you have become a union member to do this?

I worked on developing torque to yield bolts and the equipment seen in the video as a COOP student, and got in trouble for touching a piece of equipment because I wasn't a union member and a union member reported me.

The $5800 buys you a one day membership :D

Ohmsby
07-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Yeah... I already paid $5800.00 into this company this year.... Should have asked to build the motor!!!! Obama Motors FTW:hammer:

F...M IMHO

L8 APEX
07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
It's Government Motors.

We use to service the HVAC system at the GM plant in Arlington. The union stuff is BS! We had to point and ask others to touch switches, breakers etc. They hated us like we were scabs... I hope they burn in hell.:evil