In2deep
07-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Thank god, we have a pitcher..

Sixpipes
07-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Great pick up for this year. :tu:

zforce77
07-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I can't belive they gave up Smoak, Davis is to erratic.

In2deep
07-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Agreed

gbgary
07-09-2010, 07:50 PM

and smoak isn't?

zforce77
07-09-2010, 07:59 PM
He may be but he is a switch hitter and this is his first season up so wanted to see him get a chance. Its just like we delt Gonzales to the Padres. We continue to give good players away but maybe this is the year for the Rangers. Lets see what happens after the All Star break. Thats when they fall off the wagon.

gbgary
07-09-2010, 08:44 PM
from what i've heard on the radio (i pay no attention to minor league bb) the rangers have one of the best, if not the best, stock of young talent in the minors. that's the best way to build a team long term but if you can make a move like this it's worth it to give up some prospects. they need to get the new owners in place and then sign lee long term. the team needs to get a little smarter out there on the field. last night's game was lost between the ears.

99WhiteBeast
07-10-2010, 11:25 AM
you got to give to get- nice pickup and I'm glad they pulled the trigger on some major pitching talent.

The last two nights have been a major meltdown in the bullpen hopefully this will get everyone rejuvenated.

zforce77
07-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Don't know why they did not give Lee 1 day rest when he just flew in at 5 today. Rangers :nono: They said he did get here last night now but lord have mercy, let the guy chill for one day.

WA 2 FST
07-11-2010, 06:55 PM
These last 4 days have been an abberation... it is an excellent team that just got significantly better. You have to give up something to get something... even if Lee will be here and gone at the end of the year.

They didn't give up any of their top-5 prospects in the minors. While Smoak is most likely going to be good, there are plenty of quality 1Bs to be had next year... if they decide to go another direction there. Davis isn't going to do any worse than Smoak was doing _this_ year, and the point is to win this year... and not just win the West (this is the year to do that, for sure), but at least get to the ALCS.

They will have to have some significant injuries/meltdowns not to do that this year. They are better than any team in the AL except the Yankees.

gbgary
07-11-2010, 07:20 PM
a four game sweep by the worst team in the league is worrisome. championship caliber teams don't do that. they're about to start a tough stretch against good teams and didn't need the kind of confidence breaker that just occured. i don't think lee is very happy about being here. his first comment was about how hot it is here. it's already in his head and there's still two months of hot to go until it starts to cool down mid september.

In2deep
07-11-2010, 09:41 PM
The only comments he made was he was going to a hot team, I think he was referring to the fact Texas is in first and not the weather..

kirkmears
07-12-2010, 01:12 PM
his first comment was about how hot it is here. it's already in his head and there's still two months of hot to go until it starts to cool down mid september.

hell, it wasn't even hot at the game saturday...lol. wait until one of those sunny sunday afternoon games, when it's 105 :evil

at least the blowpen got a rest though :rolleyes: i'm glad they picked him up. they said the stadium had 14,000 walkups for tickets saturday. thats a lot.

I thought this comment from an angels forum was humerous:icon_lol:....
"The Achilles heel of the Rangers is the gassed bullpen. Can Cliff Lee pitch 15 Complete Games and give them a rest? Can Ron Washington lay off the nose candy enough to not impulsively walk to the mound just to step on the white lines? That bullpen in Arlington might make the Rangers season look like this stick market failure of a chart, a rollercoaster with all downslide after the All Star Break..."

gbgary
07-12-2010, 07:32 PM
hell, it wasn't even hot at the game saturday...lol. wait until one of those sunny sunday afternoon games, when it's 105 :evil

yeah...with absolutely no breeze.

gbgary
07-17-2010, 01:47 PM
the last two nights have been very encouraging.

gbgary
07-23-2010, 06:58 PM
great game by he and the r's last night. seemed a bit miffed to come out after eight and a third but was all smiles two outs later.

99WhiteBeast
07-23-2010, 08:30 PM
another good one brewing tonight- the next two weeks are the time to put the west in the ground

gbgary
08-26-2010, 10:28 PM
had a terrible month. hates it here. you can see it written all over his face. pitching like he doesn't give a shit.

In2deep
08-26-2010, 10:58 PM
I see it as well, not good. What a F..k and we gave up Smoak, who i believe has a good future..

Sixpipes
08-27-2010, 09:03 AM
The Rangers have used Lee on a 5-day rotation as opposed to the every 6th day routine he was in at Seattle. That doesn't take into account the pitching conditions in Texas this summer. The guy still has the goods. It doesn't make sense to me that Lee would allow himself to slip and just mail it in when he will be a free agent at the end of this year and entitled to big bucks. Why would he allow his value to decrease in the open market by not giving a flying whatever when he knows poor results will personally cost him $$$ in future years? :cool:

Shiner1
08-27-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't really follow basball that much so I don't really know what I'm talking about here but that has never really stopped me anyway....

I agree with Dennis. The guy will be looking for some cash next year so I can't believe he's tanking just to get outta dodge. But what Gary said is not the first time I have heard that. In fact yesterday I believe, Colin Cowherd on ESPN touched on this very story. :confused: