PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with or heard about Diablo performance chips ? >>

wesman
05-02-2002, 03:16 PM
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/dialightdyno.htm

Wondering if they are any good ?

New to the L so I'm trying to learn a bit....any FAQ'S anywhere that lay out some info on aftermarket/performance products ?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide :tu:

Sixpipes
05-02-2002, 03:40 PM
Uh............................... Logan had one in his 99. He is much more eloquent than I so I'll let him clue you in. I wouldn't run down and buy one just yet. ;)

TxBolt
05-02-2002, 07:07 PM
Mine has been rough on my tranny.I had to take some of the shifts out. My chip is rich and it feels agressive. 14,000 miles and its fine. I will just need a tranny soon.:burnout:

wesman
05-02-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by 380hp
Mine has been rough on my tranny.I had to take some of the shifts out. My chip is rich and it feels agressive. 14,000 miles and its fine. I will just need a tranny soon.:burnout:

You have a Diablo chip? Your sig says JL???

Sixpipes
05-02-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by wesman

You have a Diablo chip? Your sig says JL???
Johnny Lightning's chip (JL) is the Diablo. JL started out with Superchips. :cool:

L8 APEX
05-02-2002, 10:57 PM
I have heard several complaints about them being too lean, too much line pressure, and burning up about 30+ PCM's from F150 Online members. I would stick with Superchips or Autologic.

Crawford
05-02-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
I have heard several complaints about them being too lean, too much line pressure, and burning up about 30+ PCM's from F150 Online members. I would stick with Superchips or Autologic.

Yeah, what Terry said!

Sixpipes
05-02-2002, 11:34 PM
Autologic = Swanson or PSP
Superchips = JDM
:cool:

wesman
05-02-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Sixpipes

Johnny Lightning's chip (JL) is the Diablo. JL started out with Superchips. :cool:

Ah....cool...thanks for the info....still learning here :)

Lil Nicky88
05-03-2002, 02:39 AM
I have one. It is my only mod. I ran an 8.2 in the 1/8 with that as my only mod. It shifts quite a bit more aggresively than it did before. There are a couple of problems though. if i stomp on it real hard then let off it, the resulting downshift feels like I ran over a large dog. And when I'm hauling @ss and I get up to higher speeds, it loses boost for about a half second when it shifts into overdrive. I mean it feels like the sc shuts off. I lose alot of power. I've lost a couple of races because of that right there. You can get them for a good price though. I paid 215 for mine (with s/h and tax included).

Just remember though. I had it on for a week before I spun my main bearing...

Silver_2000
05-03-2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Lil Nicky88
if i stomp on it real hard then let off it, the resulting downshift feels like I ran over a large dog

Even stock the lightning transmission will slam you hard if you floor it then let up right before the shift... That is common with everychip I have had and when mine was stock.. I have learned to avoid letting up qucikly before the shifts ( unless I am gonna run someone over )

Doug

Logan
05-05-2002, 01:45 PM
The diablo chips are fine, properly tuned. JL was incompetent when it came to my chip. Sent it back twice, only to get it back making 20hp/20tq less each time...

Low end A/F on his burns runs really high, like 15:1...Ridiculous.

My 2 pennies, others have had a bunch of luck with him, but umm... not me. If I had to do it again, PSP would get my bucks.

wesman
05-05-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Logan
The diablo chips are fine, properly tuned. JL was incompetent when it came to my chip. Sent it back twice, only to get it back making 20hp/20tq less each time...

My 2 pennies, others have had a bunch of luck with him, but umm... not me. If I had to do it again, PSP would get my bucks.

Thanks Logan...I think I'll just spend my pennies elsewhere :)

wesman
05-06-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Logan

Have any of you guys looked into to running aftermarket piggyback fuel controllers ? Like the Apexi AFC or HKS AFR ?

I haven't really seen anything like this listed in anyones profile...just wondering....they would certainly allow you to clean up the A/F maps on the dyno.

I have the AFC on both of my 300's.....very handy for dyno tuning .

BTW-WHat is the optimal "Safe" A/F ratio on the L?

L8 APEX
05-06-2002, 12:50 AM
I have one tuned for long term full throttle use like constant 120+ it is 11.9 @ WOT, the 100 octane race a bit leaner :D Most are mid 12.2-4's for street programs. Above that you are getting hot and may start eating electordes or worse.:eek:

wesman
05-06-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
I have one tuned for long term full throttle use like constant 120+ it is 11.9 @ WOT, the 100 octane race a bit leaner :D Most are mid 12.3-4's for street programs. Above that you are getting hot and may start eating electordes or worse.:eek:

Cool....still learning on the L...

I've done a bit of dyno tuning on the Z's but the optimum A/F is a bit different....we usually tune to 11.5:1 for safest/best power ratio.

TxBolt
05-06-2002, 08:48 PM
I guess I need to update my last reply. I just took mine out. The hard shifting is driving my crazy thinking my tranny is going on every shift. My truck likes to die at first take off if I don't let my truck warm a moment, just started. When my chip was reburned my card had $10 bucks which was not suppose to cost me. So if Logan says PSP thats what I have been looking towards, but I can't find his chips on his site. Anyway hows Dallas besides Hot!?

L8 APEX
05-06-2002, 08:59 PM
I carry PSP products so I can save you some hassle and shipping etc.. Look on his site under products or my site under Lightnings/electronics/1,2,or4 way chips. :tu:

TxBolt
05-07-2002, 09:37 PM
Terry, I hope I'm right on your name. I have never seen a place or I can't find it now that say products. Help me find it , I would love to see it.:D

Crawford
05-07-2002, 11:31 PM
Here is the link for Terry's Lightning parts site:

http://www.performanceresearchonline.com/street/svt.htm