PDA

View Full Version : its soo cold

Silver_2000
01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Saw this on another forum today

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/laurenvy/Itissocold.jpg

L8 APEX
01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Yep, this will be the coldest weather I remember in Texas... So much for global warming... I pray we don't freeze break pipes...

Moonshine
01-07-2010, 09:04 PM
I pray we don't freeze break pipes...

+1. I'm on that black gumbo, and over time it heaves and pushes things up. My water line from the meter to the house started out 18" deep, but parts of it are no more than 8" deep now. Hope that's deep enough to keep it from freezing.

L8 APEX
01-07-2010, 09:21 PM
+1. I'm on that black gumbo, and over time it heaves and pushes things up. My water line from the meter to the house started out 18" deep, but parts of it are no more than 8" deep now. Hope that's deep enough to keep it from freezing.
Waste a little inside...:eek2:

Moonshine
01-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Waste a little inside...:eek2:

Yeah, I was thinking that'd be cheaper and easier than fixing a burst pipe. One of these days I need to lay a whole new line, 3' deep, and cushioned with sand. Because of the distance and elevation involved the supply line is looped to keep adequate volume to the sprinkler system. It'll be a job to re-do it.

gbgary
01-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Yep, this will be the coldest weather I remember in Texas... So much for global warming... I pray we don't freeze break pipes...

12-23-1989...how old were you? got down to -1 overnight...i was on call that weekend and remember it well.

Moonshine
01-07-2010, 10:32 PM
12-23-1989...how old were you? got down to -1 overnight...i was on call that weekend and remember it well.

Me, too, although I was off that night. BTW Gary, my mom said thanks for getting her heat back on yesterday. She said she spoke to you several times during the day.

L8 APEX
01-07-2010, 11:21 PM
I was 12 ish. I didn't get cold back then, lol...

Silver_2000
01-08-2010, 09:22 AM
al gore responds

qGVfh7FFMXg

Moonshine
01-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Got down to 15.8 at the compound this morning. Up to a balmy 17.6 now. If the wind slacks off tonight the pond will freeze over for the 3rd time in the past 11 years.

gbgary
01-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Me, too, although I was off that night. BTW Gary, my mom said thanks for getting her heat back on yesterday. She said she spoke to you several times during the day.

really!! no problem...what's her name?

Moonshine
01-08-2010, 01:10 PM
really!! no problem...what's her name?

PM'ed.

gbgary
01-08-2010, 08:07 PM
PM'ed.

:tu:

Silver_2000
01-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Is this a bad night to have your power go out ?

Just asking ...

Oncor better get a move on....

Yes the generator is powering the interweb. Need to check to see if the furnace runs on 110 or 220 and get a whip made for it.

L8 APEX
01-08-2010, 08:48 PM
If you have gas it should be a 120volt blower and controls. Electric and heat pump are usually 240v.
You can turn the main breaker off pull the panel cover and hook a white to the neutral/ground bar and a black (hot) to the furnace breaker wire. Just jam it under the same screw on the breaker or nut them together. A furnace only draws 5-6 amps at most. A little under 1000 watts. Of course I assume all of these values you would have to verify with the ID plate on the unit.

Or as you said run a cord up to the unit and tap it there. The garage panel may be easier depending on where the genny is. Good luck, the fire place may work... If you need a hotel room I can send you a form for a $40 room at one of our hotels. They do like to burgle cars though...

I sent you a rate for just print it out at home or in the business center. The Addison Springhill is nice.

Moonshine
01-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Is this a bad night to have your power go out ?

Yes, muv malo. Yours out? If you can't heat the house shut off your water at the meter and open faucets to relieve pressure.

Silver_2000
01-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Yes, muv malo. Yours out? If you can't heat the house shut off your water at the meter and open faucets to relieve pressure.
i didnt know what muv malo was - so I googled it

The 3rd link is this thread.... Uhh that didnt help ... LOL

Moonshine
01-09-2010, 01:52 PM
i didnt know what muv malo was - so I googled it

well, it would help if I could type, since muv malo means nothing. Muy malo, as I'm sure you figured out, is espanol for very bad. And speaking of........

my power went out at 7:47 this AM. The house quickly dropped to 58 degrees, but surprisingly didn't go any lower once I built a fire in fireplace.

It just came back on at 11:45, hopefully to stay. Incidentally, the low here last night only got to 17.0, but the pond did freeze over.

gbgary
01-09-2010, 02:40 PM
very bad=muy mal

Moonshine
01-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Well, I figured if I was going to be cold I might as well have some fun, so I went hunting after the power came back on at the compound. Got to the lease and discovered the Shur-Flo pump was frozen solid, so no running water, but the furnace in the travel trailer worked like a champ so all was well. Not much deer movement, but I did whack a big sow Sat night.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG3511.JPG

She probably went about 200 lbs on the hoof. Had another smaller sow with her and about a dozen piglets. Course they all scattered at my shot. Put one through her neck and that downed her, but didn't kill her. She squirmed around trying to get her feet under her, and finally turned to show me the top of her head. Let her hold one in the skull and that flipped the switch.

Field dressed her, got her in the truck, and then headed for camp, a big fire, and some grilled steak and Crown. Was a good night. By Sunday AM she was frozen stiff. Not a bad way to spend the weekend. :D

dboat
01-10-2010, 10:34 PM
very nice... very very nice... :tu:

Dana

Well, I figured if I was going to be cold I might as well have some fun, so I went hunting after the power came back on at the compound. Got to the lease and discovered the Shur-Flo pump was frozen solid, so no running water, but the furnace in the travel trailer worked like a champ so all was well. Not much deer movement, but I did whack a big sow Sat night.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG3511.JPG

She probably went about 200 lbs on the hoof. Had another smaller sow with her and about a dozen piglets. Course they all scattered at my shot. Put one through her neck and that downed her, but didn't kill her. She squirmed around trying to get her feet under her, and finally turned to show me the top of her head. Let her hold one in the skull and that flipped the switch.

Field dressed her, got her in the truck, and then headed for camp, a big fire, and some grilled steak and Crown. Was a good night. By Sunday AM she was frozen stiff. Not a bad way to spend the weekend. :D