PDA

View Full Version : lower pulley tool

kirkmears
12-26-2009, 11:40 AM
after years of running stock boost, i'm finally swapping the lower pulley with a four pounder. does anyone have any recommendations on a tool for the crank pulley or will any local parts store version work? the ones i've seen in the how tos look like hacked up home made versions. thanks in advance & happy holidays ~
:santa2

WA 2 FST
12-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Getting the lower pulley off the front isn't the hard part... it's locking the converter. The pulley is reverse threaded, so the converter will spin even in park. Oh... and the reason this is bad is b/c the crankshaft is turning, which doesn't allow you to actually break the front pulley nut loose.

I am _sure_ someone here has the tools req'd you could borrow. I can look for mine, if you like.

kirkmears
12-26-2009, 04:34 PM
im already needing to replace my converter nuts since i used my old ones when i replaced my converter a while back. i've since got some new ones.
so i'm familiar with the process of locking up the converter with a bolt and a wrench trick or at least enough according to the how tos i've seen...

i read that i'll need 100ft lbs of pressure to break it loose though, so a breaker bar or pipe will be leveraged for that...

Thanks Wes...is the actually pulley difficult to remove once that bolt is removed? is a pulley removal tool required for the lower pulley or dampener the first time? will one from harbor freight or autozone suffice or will it need to be more specific if so?

also, the how to referenced removing the factory dampener, but not replacing it...is the 5.4l internally balanced and they only put that on for dampening out harmonics of the engine?

L8 APEX
12-26-2009, 05:58 PM
You need a 14mm allen bit 1/2" drive socket to remove the stock pulley. Probably a 3ft cheater bar as well.

PUMP
12-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I've got the lock up strap and tools that you can borrow. I'll even help you do it. Send me a PM and I'll send my cell phone number to contact.

L8 APEX
12-26-2009, 09:37 PM
You have to remove the nuts and bolts holding the lower pulley cage to the enigne. usually three 15mm nuts on the bottom two studs and one 13mm (99-01) or 15mm (02-04) on the upper ear. The pulley itself is reverse thread so you go from the driver side to the passenger side from under the truck. Factory torque is around 240lb ft and I have had to use radical means to remove older pulleys. Air hammers, torches, freon etc...
Remember once it breaks free it is dead loose so don't bust your lip or elbow... Once it breaks you can spin the whole assy off by hand.

boostaholic
12-27-2009, 01:08 AM
i broke 2 allen head sockets trying to get mine off. even broke a 1/2" drive breaker bar too. good luck getting the pulley off.

kirkmears
12-27-2009, 05:18 PM
again...thanks everyone for the info, at least i know what i'm up against tomorrow :beer:

i'm going to pick up an impact hex bit socket this evening and start with that first thing tomorrow.

i'm stoked now that i can once again hear the blower. i've been running a chopped up exhaust (stock pipes/borla mufflers/'off roaded') and it just plain suct. the used bassani i picked up last week in conjunction with the offroad midpipes i had already is so much better! why didn't i do that sooner!?:hammer:

kirkmears
12-28-2009, 04:32 PM
i managed to get everything off...but...2 questions...

1. i cant get the pulley on. can someone take a look to see if i'm doing this right? the bottom of the pulley, which is where the adapter ring is used, should seat against those riser tabs? because it's not even sliding on at all without the adapter ring...
http://kirkmears.com/images/F150/snout.jpg

http://kirkmears.com/images/F150/4lb.jpg

and even worse.... :rolleyes:
2. i've lost the correct allen bolts. anyone know where these can be picked up locally?

kirkmears
12-28-2009, 05:16 PM
i figured it out...that piece with the "bolt riser tab" was supposed to come off with the balancer...

L8 APEX
12-28-2009, 05:20 PM
The 99-00 hubs have a removable three bolt flange. They also require the reducer bushing on the new pulley.

kirkmears
12-28-2009, 05:25 PM
thank you Mr Terry...

done!

i ended up grabbing the 3 allen bolts from my local ace (3/8-16 x1") & i finally got my converter nuts replaced. one was actually loose enough to remove with my fingers :(

WA 2 FST
12-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Great job! Glad you got it worked out and all buttoned up. Enjoy!