PDA

View Full Version : Hummer to be sold to Chinese company

richardekirby
10-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Yep, it's true. GM is selling it to a Chinese company but they will continue to be made in the U.S. I'm not too concerned about the commercial part. I don't like the idea of them making one of our military vehicles. The Humvee is not a high tech piece but there's something wrong about the Chinese supplying our military with equipment.

I thought the H1's were bad ass back in the day and the H2 was pretty cool too, except they got horrible mileage. The H3 is pretty much crap.

mustgofaster
10-09-2009, 11:31 PM
If I understand correctly, the H1 that the military uses, will not be made by, "hummer". AM General will still be the military's supplier.

98Cobra
10-10-2009, 11:12 AM
If I understand correctly, the H1 that the military uses, will not be made by, "hummer". AM General will still be the military's supplier.

This.

richardekirby
10-10-2009, 11:13 AM
I was not sure if they were still in the loop. That's reassuring to hear.

mustgofaster
10-10-2009, 01:53 PM
The H2 was a piece of crap anyway.... IMHO. It was built on the Tahoe chassis & the steering linkages are a BIG weak point when wheeling. The whole thing is an over-inflated, top heavy, "look @ me... I'm cool" pile of crap.
It didn't even come close to living up to the name that it's big brother, the H1, created for itself.

charlie
10-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Sorry guys, but the H1 one was a turd too. I was in the military when they first hit. My unit still had the old Jeep, and I refused to trade it in. When we was in Pohang Korea the Marines had the H 1, and a yard full of them being worked on all the time. We rarely ever had the old stuff in the repair yard.
The concept was a good idea. But it did not preform, or hold up to the abuse the older stuff did.

dboat
10-11-2009, 10:24 AM
I wants me an H3....

not..

Dana

but Charlie, maybe the Chinese can make them better... it could happen. ;)

richardekirby
10-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Sorry guys, but the H1 one was a turd too. I was in the military when they first hit. My unit still had the old Jeep, and I refused to trade it in. When we was in Pohang Korea the Marines had the H 1, and a yard full of them being worked on all the time. We rarely ever had the old stuff in the repair yard.
The concept was a good idea. But it did not preform, or hold up to the abuse the older stuff did.

The owner of AM General used to take a couple of the H1's up to Clayton, Ok for the big 4wd events. He blew out the planetary gears half way up 3 stage and had to get a heavy duty wrecker from about 75 miles away to get him off the mountain.

I never had any military experience with them, but they were usually impressive out 4 wheeling. The main hardship they had up there was getting thru the tight spaces that were made for jeeps. Some of them were tight in my K5, I can imagine what it was like for them.