PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Clunker as a prelude to Obamacare?

dboat
09-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Saw this on another forum.. thought I would share with you guys.

Dana

Let's put some perspective on this. BOB already admits the post office isn't as efficient as the private industry...Medicare/caid facing bankruptcy,BOB says that his stimulus would keep unemployment below 8% which didn't work and now they want to control the health care industry..

Look at these facts and decide:
A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline.

A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.

So, the average clunker transaction will reduce consumption by 320 gallons per year.
They claim 700,000 vehicles - so that's 224 million gallons / year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil. 5 million barrels of oil is about ¼ of one day's US consumption. And, 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75/bbl.

So, we all contributed to spending *$3 billion* to save $350 million.

How good a deal was that ??? They'll probably do a great job with health care though!!

One of you BOB supporters prove to us why we should expect any different results with BOBcare compared to BOB's cash for clunkers

Moonshine
09-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Great way to put it in perspective for those who still think the "change" is an improvement.

Silver_2000
09-13-2009, 02:37 PM
dont disgard the impact the clunkers deals had on the dealerships who were struggling to sell any cars, in many cases the dealerships were counting on used cars to keep the lights on. They likley got a quick shot in the arm from clunkers IF - BIG iF they had anything to sell the clunkers folks. the after effects are that many of the folks who were on the fence about buying a car have gone for it AND many of the USED cars were scrapped. Putting those dealers in big trouble

The reason this is important is that new car financing is harder to come by and there is typically more profit in used cars than the low end of the new market

98Cobra
09-13-2009, 05:42 PM
I can see the impact C4C had on the Chrysler-Dodge dealer in Lewisville. They have almost nothing left on their lot.

dboat
09-13-2009, 06:44 PM
I can see the impact C4C had on the Chrysler-Dodge dealer in Lewisville. They have almost nothing left on their lot.

I believe I read that Ford was the only domestic maker to see year over year sales increase during this time.. you just have to wonder if folks are staying away from the other 2 since they took our, er federal, money..

I wont buy a Chrysler or GM product for quite some time because they took the money and filed for bankruptcy anyway.. bastages..

Dana

Ohmsby
09-13-2009, 07:31 PM
A lot of dealers have still not been paid for C4C

My other piss is this. We just sold a bunch of cars to folks who may or may not be able to afford them because the ratio to loan was skewed by the $4500 offset and the financing then came in line.

Is this not how we got here in the first place.

dboat
09-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Dealers have still not been paid for C4C either in a lot of cases.

My other piss is this. We just sold a bunch of cars to folks who may or may not be able to afford them because the ratio to loan was skewed by the $4500 offset and the financing then came in line.

Please dont confuse Freddie and Fannie.. they are tortured souls... but the answer to your question is...YES!!

mikelemoine
09-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Dealers have still not been paid for C4C either in a lot of cases.

Just think of all the late model, low mileage repos that will be on the market in about a year!

Moonshine
09-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Just think of all the late model, low mileage repos that will be on the market in about a year!

That have been cared for by people who can't manage their personal finances. I'll pass.

dboat
09-14-2009, 07:01 PM
That have been cared for by people who can't manage their personal finances. I'll pass.

exactly... you know they are the ones that are quick to spend a buck to change the oil and such..

Dana