PDA

View Full Version : Kicking around a crazy idea

98Cobra
08-24-2009, 03:31 PM
So...I miss my Lightning. But a two door pickup just wont fit my life now, with the kiddo. So really, no two door cars will fit either.

I currently have a 2007 F150 Supercrew. Its nice. But I miss the oomph, and it is certainly not a rare vehicle in any way. We use the truck to pull our boat on some weekends, and during the week I have daycare dropoff duty.

Anyway...I started thinking about what would still fill the needs the truck satisifies, but may be more fun. And I thought about finding a used Harley truck. Problem is, I have absolutely no care about Harley motorcycles. So having a vehicle with that logo plastered everywhere is wasted on me, and it would at the same time be criminal to try to take it all off. So not too excited about that prospect.

But what about something like an '06 SRT-10 Quad Cab? Or is looking to trade for something that get an EPA combined 9 mpg just really, really stupid?

Are there other options I am forgetting out there, also?

Sandman
08-24-2009, 04:21 PM
:banned

man, you went from the good, then the bad, now you want to go to the ugly!? :evil

Silver_2000
08-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Get a raptor .... :evil:evil

L8 APEX
08-24-2009, 05:10 PM
I am looking towards fuel economy this time around. I plan on owning my next vehicle for another 100k 4-5 years. I expect fuel prices will be well into the 3-4 dollar range by then. I am also driving around 30k miles a year now. So I am looking for 18-20mpg avg.

Make sure you get an auto Viper truck. Yes 9-10mpg will hurt down the road. A Harley only does 3-4 better and they are getting aged. No sure winner here...

dboat
08-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Add a supercharger or turbocharger to what you have now.. or go cheap and add some nitrous.. that way you get what you want..

just my 2 cents on it

Dana

Ohmsby
08-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Get a raptor .... :evil:evil

+1 then you will be an A$$hat for sure

Why not mod the F150 your driving now

dboat
08-24-2009, 07:40 PM
+1 then you will be an A$$hat for sure

Why not mod the F150 your driving now

Add a supercharger or turbocharger to what you have now.. or go cheap and add some nitrous.. that way you get what you want..

just my 2 cents on it

Dana

gee mr obvious here.. :evil

Where you been?

Dana

98Cobra
08-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Lol @ Andy - I agree, its not the best looking option, but it looks better than the Harley IMO. /ducks for cover

I don't want to supercharge the one I have - that seems like a lot of expense for the sake of negligible gain, and I would shoot my warranty down to boot.

I don't get the Raptor hate. I saw one in person the other day and I have to say, I kinda liked it. And the reviews have been good that I have seen. I am bitter they didn't do another Lightning, but at least they are doing *something*. It may be limited to 100mph, but I dont hit those speeds very often these days. :( I dont think the infant seat would fit in it though. :)

toddwarren
08-25-2009, 08:33 AM
For bang for the buck you can find the UGLY badged Harley and take the three badges off be danged if it is wrong. The Harley can easily be modded for a couple thousand bucks to safely run high to mid 13's.
Put the kid seat in the back and the groceries in the bed and move on.

Silver_2000
08-25-2009, 08:50 AM
ducking for cover...

Its going to be tough to find a performance oriented anything that gets good gas mileage. Then add pickup truck to the equation and its more difficult.

I think maybe a minivan is the best choice .... :evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil

L8 APEX
08-25-2009, 08:55 AM
I am looking into the Flex with Ecoboost. It runs 13's stock, twin turbos have to leave room for more power. All wheel drive, towing up to 4500lbs, room and style. 17-22 mpg.

Shiner1
08-25-2009, 09:01 AM
I am looking into the Flex with Ecoboost. It runs 13's stock, twin turbos have to leave room for more power. All wheel drive, towing up to 4500lbs, room and style. 17-22 mpg.

I like those Flexi. Looked at those when I picked up the Taurus. I just got a better deal on the bull.

98Cobra
08-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Todd: Well after I take the three off the body, I still have one on each wheel, plus the ones on the seats inside, etc...plus finding one with less than 100k on it is very difficult.

Not saying I need a performance something with good gas mileage - but 9 mpg makes even me squirm a little. I think the current vehicle only get 15 anyway.

I like the new Taurus SHO with EcoBoost - if I didnt have to tow, I would go that route. I could see buying a cheap used truck just for towing, but most of those just got Obaminated.

toddwarren
08-25-2009, 10:21 AM
The Ford Flex LTD. has $3,500. cash back right now so you can walk for about 33K.
Has anyone actually driven the twin turbo all wheel drive?
I may have to go test drive the Taurus SHO with 370 Horsepower to see what a few of you all are talking about.

Back to the Harley topic, I had to get a new wheel one time for my Harley at discount tire, and they sell caps that do not have harley badge on them FYI.

Ohmsby
08-25-2009, 11:12 AM
gee mr obvious here.. :evil

Where you been?

Dana

Campaigning for Obama's 2012 presidential election:D

ZeusSVT
08-25-2009, 03:47 PM
I went this route about a month ago, it's not Obamanation approved but fukk em.....:evil:evil

G8 GXP....6.2L LS3 N/A, 6 Speed manual.....415/415....13.0 1/4 mile stock....MPG is like 14/20. It will hold a couple of car seats in the back and has a huge trunk for picking up the groceries..:d. Nothing like hanging even with or even walking a new mustang GT or camaro ss with a 4 door sedan. :eek2:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/The%20GXP/DSC_0004.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/The%20GXP/DSC_0034r.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/The%20GXP/DSC_0008.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/The%20GXP/DSC_0009.jpg

Shiner1
08-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Nice, nice, nice.... Now vaccum the F@cker out....:d

99WhiteBeast
08-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Michael- just wait till she's broke in- it will run like a scalded ape.

We just hit 6K and it feels a whole lot faster by the butt dyno.:icon_mrgreen:

ZeusSVT
08-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Nice, nice, nice.... Now vaccum the F@cker out....:d

It was the day I picked it up at the dealer.....it was pouring outside not long before that pic. :( It doesn't look much better right now though. :d

Michael- just wait till she's broke in- it will run like a scalded ape.

We just hit 6K and it feels a whole lot faster by the butt dyno.:icon_mrgreen:

Dang....I have a ways to go then. I just rolled 900 after taking a little road trip this past weekend. I took it easy for a little while and then the whole break in miles thing kinda wore off too quick, lol. Nothing like road racing your grocery getter on a friday night. :nana2

If I had to choose another car, I would do it all over again with this one, I love it. Too bad GM screwed the pooch on such a good thing. :hammer:

Sandman
08-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Nice looking car. It seems that it would have the same issue with traction that the gto has. 13.0 stock, that's fast.

ADale13
08-25-2009, 09:55 PM
a friend of mine has a really clean lariat 02 f150.

its like the best of all worlds. Its silver, 02 20'' lightning chrome replicas, lowered like a bitch, and most all the lightning accessories(headlights, tails, etc) but still just a 5.4l so better gas mileage, leather interior, clean in and out...

just throwing my pennies in the pot.

99WhiteBeast
08-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Garett- thought about a SS Trailblazer as an option? 4 doors, towing and some umph

98Cobra
08-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Garett- thought about a SS Trailblazer as an option? 4 doors, towing and some umph

I considered it, but a few things gave me pause.

1. My last GM experience with my GTO, which was terrible. I went running back to Ford. :)

2. Wes had a lot of problems with his, as I recall.

3. I dont think the back seat is big enough for an infant car carrier without cramping front passengers.