PDA

View Full Version : OEM transmission cooler BTU

kirkmears
08-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Before I start, I'll let you know I've already read countless threads, including Tim Skeltons, the ones on f-150 and a couple others...these provided the groundwork for where I'm currently at.

What most don't mention is how the stock radiator plays a role in cooling the tranny (or warming it up)...

My main question: Does anyone know the BTU of our current stock transmission cooler setup, including the radiator?

Most of the 'stock' aftermarket ones for the 4r100 are in the 40,000 BTU range. B&Ms 'biggest' only offers the highest BTU of 29,200, which is roughly 2x the physical size of the stocker, but different design. I'd like to stick with the B&M I've already purchased. Perhaps I should have did more homework first... :icon_confused:

I've only seen one or two threads that anyone even mentions plugging these (transcooler in radiator). My initial thought is to bypass it with ample cooling in a single radiator.

As always, thanks in advance~

Kirk

L8 APEX
08-03-2009, 10:36 PM
In cold climates the side tank radiator helps bring the fluid to temp. You want it to get hot enough to separate water moisture and do its job. I never saw a stock trans get over 210. Most were 165-180 which is fine IMO. I think at most the Super Duty cooler mod is plenty. The only time they heat up is with a high stall converter out of lockup like city driving or burnouts. Otherwise they always run cool. Fluid temp is not the source of failure for the 4r100. The tranny holds 750lb ft torque in the diesels and hauls 24 thousand lbs daily. A 4800lb gas truck doesn't begin to strain it.

kirkmears
08-03-2009, 11:14 PM
The tranny holds 750lb ft torque in the diesels and hauls 24 thousand lbs daily. A 4800lb gas truck doesn't begin to strain it.

I forget about that aspect...

Thanks man~