PDA

View Full Version : '01 rod limits

microsuck
01-28-2003, 07:12 PM
How much HP are our rods good for? I am afraid as soon as I push that little red button, I am going to hear something I am going to regret. I am debating wether or not, I should spray. I havent yet. I have heard the limit is about 450 hp. I would be right there with my chip, 4#, and 75 shot. I wish I had bigger balls. I will probably just hit it anyways.:D
Andrew

L8 APEX
01-28-2003, 07:53 PM
It is ALL in the tune. My motor blew 6 rods with only 410 or so HP and a 10.2 a/f. road race tune. Several 02's have blown rods with chip and 4's. I would say 450 is pretty warm, too much with a bad or agressive tune.

L8 APEX
01-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Thing is NOS makes double in TQ that it does in HP.

microsuck
01-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Will my setup weaken my rods, if that is possible. Are they like glass in the sense that they either break or they dont, or can they loose strength over time from hard use? Because for the small amount that I will use that nitrous, it might be okay. Im not into drag racing and 1/4s. Just having power available. I will probably just spray on the dyno to get it on paper and then just close the bottle, to keep me in control. I would rather blow up at speedworks than on the road.
Andrew

microsuck
01-28-2003, 09:20 PM
So do the guys that get over 450 on their trucks have different rods, or just a really bad ass tune? Or are they walking a thin line? I dont really do long 100+mph cruises. (the bike handles that for me!!!) it is mostly hard, full throtle accelleration. Which is worse? What do you think? Will it take it?
Andrew

L8 APEX
01-29-2003, 12:19 AM
It is your gamble. A new strategy I have heard of late it "Keep it under 105-110mph" which is a 1/4 trap speed so it is no worse than a 1/4 mile pass. This saves some load on the motor. Don't know what to say about guys dynoing more. Pulley and chip is wear enough without the bottle in most minds. It is not going to make your motor last longer that is for sure. Just like Wayne said "I won't use it on the street". He is constantly calling me asking who sells 104 near Addison, or who refills NOS near Southlake. He is never off the bottle anymore:rolleyes: It sounds like you are aleady there so dyno it test the tune and you make the call. IF it blows on juice there will be no prayer of warranty. NOS leaves so much residue it will fail the oil sample test.

cpeapea
02-07-2003, 01:08 AM
is the residue just from the crap sulfur they load it up with? man that stuff really smells when people run it, if heard some people have ran medical grade (or close to, basically with no sulfur in it) would that still leave residue?