PDA

View Full Version : virus coming april 1 -

Silver_2000
03-29-2009, 07:13 PM
This is text of email I sent to many of my consulting customers

There is a virus that has infected 9 million PCs at last check, that will activate on April 1 and try to infect many more.
The virus is called Conficker.
To make sure your April fools day is not spent worrying about an infected machine,
It’s a good idea to check and make sure your PC is updated using windows update.
And check to be certain your Antivirus is working and its updating regularly

Here is a link with some more details on the infection and the problems it might cause.
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/128643/beware-conficker-worm-come-april-1

Here is a link to the Specific Windows update you need to prevent this problem
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-067.mspx
But it will be easier for you to simply click the Start button, Click All programs and then select Windows Update
And let windows update scan and install updates.

One of the problems with these infections is they block access to sites that you might use to get the windows updates or to get antivirus.
If you find that your PC cant find the windows update or antivirus sites you may be already infected.
To get around those website blocks I have posted some of my favorite tools on my website.
If you need them they are at www.bosshelp.com/tools (http://www.bosshelp.com/tools)
If you need an Antivirus program or Spyware program, two good tools for this are the AVG antivirus and Malware Bytes spyware remover.
They are available on my site above. ( some of the other tools in that list should be left to professionals )

In summary – If your PC is getting Windows updates regularly and you have current Antivirus you should be safe from this problem, but its best to be prepared.

Moonshine
03-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up. :tu:

my2002lightning
03-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Good advice.

ZeusSVT
03-29-2009, 08:21 PM
:tu:

Silver_2000
04-11-2009, 07:40 AM
conficker didnt do much on april 1 but has started to cause some trouble now

Ive updated the page linked above with new info

its installing a relatively famous fake antivirus program

mustgofaster
04-11-2009, 08:59 AM
By famous, would you mean a fake version of Norton Antivirus? I ask, because Norton has popped up on my computer. It only wants me to download the full version. When I uninstall it, it pops back up next time I boot the computer up. Seems viral to me, especially since I never downloaded anything from Norton in the first place.

Thanks,
Steve

mikelemoine
04-11-2009, 09:18 AM
By famous, would you mean a fake version of Norton Antivirus? I ask, because Norton has popped up on my computer. It only wants me to download the full version. When I uninstall it, it pops back up next time I boot the computer up. Seems viral to me, especially since I never downloaded anything from Norton in the first place.

Thanks,
Steve

My guess would be Internet Antivirus Pro, that is the worst virus I've ever seen. You get a pop up saying you appear to have spyware and no matter what you click (X or cancel) it downloads and harasses you constantly to pay for it to clean your PC, when in reality it is what needs to be cleaned! Kind of like paying the Mafia for protection,,, against the Mafia. Google it and you'll see all of the forums trying to get rid of these criminals.

If you get an unexpected virus warning pop up, you should CTRL+ALT+Delete and end ieexplorer to be 100% sure of avoiding a download.

Silver_2000
04-11-2009, 06:07 PM
yes some bad fake anti virus out there - never seen it calling itself norton but who knows

both of those can be cleaned by the link I posted earlier - dload Malwarebytes from the link

run it it will clean those infections