PDA

View Full Version : It was alive

mustgofaster
02-28-2009, 02:01 AM
I started my truck last Tues for the first time since I put the engine in & it ran rough... Figured I just had the timing off, plug wire swapped, vac leak, or something stupid like that. I didn't get a chance to tinker with it since then, until tonight. I cleaned the IAC, checked the firing order & routing of the wires to prevent cross-firing, checked the plugs, (all looked like she's running rich) checked the vac lines, particularly to the FPR & MAP, checked the electrical connections & fired her up... Same thing... running like crap. I took her for a test drive to see how she'd running off idle & she's weak. It's late & I'm tired, so I'm stopping for tonight, but tomorrow I'll pull the codes, (have a CEL) & go from there. I'm starting to wonder if the lifter preload is wrong. They were all set up by tightning the rocker bolt by hand until the slack was taken up in the pushrod, then torquing each to 20 ftlbs, which took 1/4-1/2 turn to accomplish. (correct procedure according to the book) where I'm second guessing myself is that they were brand new lifters. I did soak them in oil for a few days before installing, but maybe they needed to be pumped up once?

I'll look again for vac leaks in the morning. Hopefully I'll find something... I've got to get this truck back on the road!

Any ideas?

Terry... You know much about Gen 1's?

Flats Man
02-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Steve, I am sure that you pulled the spout plug before you timed it, right? The running rich is what gets me! Good luck:tex

charlie
02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Steve.... never mind

mustgofaster
03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Well, I still haven't run a compression check, or checked the vacuum, (been too busy to touch the truck) but I did pull the codes tonight. It came up with TPS voltage low. So; I checked it out & sure enough, the TPS plug is messed up. (one of the male pins is pushing up into the plug body). I managed to get a good connection & it will idle now. I took it for a test drive & I'm still not 100% happy wit hthe power, but I think that I'm getting to the bottom of the issues at this point. One other thing that I nticed is that the thermostat doesn't seem to be opening up, so either I have a bad one, or my dumba$$ installed it backwards. Later this week, I hope to check the compression & vacuum to make sure my valve lash is set right & go from there. So, I'm not driving it yet, but I am 1 step closer.

charlie
03-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Damn your slow.:D

mustgofaster
03-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Damn your slow.:D

Yah, I know... I didn't even touch it since I first fired it up. Just no time. Believe me, it's frustrating.

mustgofaster
03-15-2009, 12:31 PM
I just put a vac gauge on it. It's pulling a very steady 19" of vac @ idle, so I no longer think that I have an issue with the valve lash. @ WOT it drops to about 2" of vac, then when the throttle snaps shut, it jumps up to 25" of vac before recovering back to 19", so that all seems normal. I'm still going to run a compression check later today. With how steady the needle was, I don't expect to find anything out of the ordinary, but I need to pull the plugs to read em' anyway.

mustgofaster
03-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Everything is good! Compression was @ 160 on every cyl except for #3 which was 170. That might have just been a fluke anyway. Plugs were slightly fouled from when it was running rich due to the bad plug on the TPS, so I cleaned them before putting them back in. The rest of my problem just seemed to be bad gas. Last time I filled up was in early Dec, so it was just too long. I put some gas for the mower in the front tank, which was MT anyway & it is running good. I only have a few gallons left in the rear tank, so I'll probably just fill-er' up with some good gas to dillute it.

charlie
03-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Cool beans man.

And now for the rest of the story.

Replace the converter.
Rebuild the trans.
Ask Billy if the rear end I sold him is for sale.:evil

The never ending story.

mustgofaster
03-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Cool beans man.

And now for the rest of the story.

Replace the converter.
Rebuild the trans.
Ask Billy if the rear end I sold him is for sale.:evil

The never ending story.

Tranny is in the works... gotta do something about the rear, Did about a 65-75 ft 1 wheel peel today... that sucks!!