PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Truck go Boommmm!!

microsuck
01-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Well, I have offcially broke my first part on my truck. Terry, I dont want to remove all my mods to get warranty work done, so if you will let me know if you would be willing to let me stop by the evil lab and exchange some cash for some work. Here is what happpened. I was completely stock today, chip is off being reburned, so no pulley or nitrous. It was driving just fine. I stopped at the ATM for some cash. I started it back up and pop-pop-pop-pop. Sure enough, I shot out my #7 plug. The plug wasnt stripped at all. The only thing that was broken was the tab that holds the coil in place. I got the plug wrench and screwed it back in but I dont think I got it in all the way. Still the same, I started it up and BANG, pop-pop-pop. Back out again. That sucks. Any help?
Andrew

wesman
01-16-2003, 06:30 PM
Hate to tell you man, but those threads are most likely toast. I had a plug launch as well and it screwed all the threads up. I ended up getting another set of heads, I also got those heli-coiled ,got a 3 angle valve job and port and polished. I figured since I was gonna be down for a while I may as well get a little out of it.

I should pick my heads up from Wells Racing tomorrow.

Good luck with it, but I'm betting it will be worth it for you to remove your mods and have Ford take care of it, cause it's not going to be an easy job.

--wes

L8 APEX
01-16-2003, 08:15 PM
I agree, you can peek down there with a flashlight if you want to make sure. By the time the plug launches those threads are melted away:( May even want to smear some clear silicon over the PCM. They seem to be hitting those hard these days:hammer: Be glad you are in warranty that is a 3000-3500 dollar job:eek2:

microsuck
01-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Well, I lost my little computer cap, maybe someone can let me borrow one? :tu: :tu: I also have a hole in the back of my MAF (for the sprayer nozzle). Do you think they will notice that? I will put the stock air box back on. I still have all of my stock parts. But I dont understand how it could blow while i was starting it. No racing, or high RPMs. Just turned the key. I dont get it.
Andrew

L8 APEX
01-17-2003, 12:31 AM
It is all about time and wear when the plug launches. Depending on when you ran juice last I would change some filters and oil to pass the oil test. Swap someone a MAF. Ford is on a witch hunt to save $$ by voiding warranties. All performance vehicles get an oil analysis, third party inspection and they are pretty sharp.

microsuck
01-17-2003, 12:51 AM
I never even got my bottle filled. So I have never sprayed. So it is just normal for a plug to eject itself from the block? Odd. I guess the ford guys wont give me any trouble if it is normal. So, anyone want to let me rent a MAF and computer service port plug?:D :D

L8 APEX
01-17-2003, 12:53 AM
What year? Yeah the 5.4 heads loose plug regularly though some dealers claim never to have seen it before:rolleyes:

microsuck
01-17-2003, 01:11 AM
2001. thanks for tips guys. Now, about renting some parts.....:tu:

microsuck
01-17-2003, 01:16 AM
If I cant get ford to do it for free. I will probably replace the heads myself. Will these work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400492252&category=33617
or whould I jsut buy some high performance heads?
Andrew

L8 APEX
01-17-2003, 01:25 AM
I would see how bad the damage is if it can be repaired or must be replaced. The guys at Bankston have some heads cheap:twitch: If you are in warranty they should fix it.

microsuck
01-17-2003, 01:40 AM
I only have 14k miles, so I am good on my warranty. But I will need to spend friday morning de-modding. I will bring it by arround noon. I dont want to take any chances on getting voided, so I am swapping EVERYTHING. Down to the air filter. Anyone I should ask for at Bankston? What kind of downtime am I looking at? This is my daily driver, but I have a motorcycle too, but it sure is cold outside!!!!!
Andrew

wesman
01-17-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
I would see how bad the damage is if it can be repaired or must be replaced. The guys at Bankston have some heads cheap:twitch: If you are in warranty they should fix it.

lol..stay away from Bankston...those guys will sell you jacked up sh!t.

--wes

01svtboy
01-17-2003, 02:36 AM
If you go to Bankston you should ask for doug he is one of our friends. i haven't talked to him in a while but should be able to help you. you should try to call and ask for him he works in the shop and may work on your truck. He's real cool about helping us out with issues of warranty and mods. tell him Miguel with the silver lightning and Albert told you to talk to him. you may be able to keep your mods It all depends so try talking to him. :twitch: :tu:

L8 APEX
01-17-2003, 09:20 AM
I forget the mechanic's name but I deal with Jerry Haupstek service manager or something.

microsuck
01-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Well, good news. North Central Ford in richardson, put on 2 brand new heads for me free of charge. They didnt try to screw me on the warranty either. I highly recommend them to anyone. And the gave me a banana yellow s-10 to drive in the meantime. :nana2 I thought they were supposed to give you something of equal value, but o well, it was free, and im only 19. I thought about asking the enterprise rental guy if they had any 12 sec trucks, just to see the look on his face! Didnt spend a penny. What a great day.
Andrew

01svtboy
01-21-2003, 09:40 AM
They gave me a mazda when I took mine in for the starter and a GEO PRIZM(lol) isn't that some sh*t. I left a Lightning not a ranger.:hammer:
They also didn't wanna give me a rental because I was 18 and I didn't get my deposit back the first or second time.

Has anyone been asked for a deposit because I think it was because Im Mexican.

If it happened to anyone did they give the deposit back or keep it. :flaming:

microsuck
01-21-2003, 10:03 AM
I gave them a credit card, I think it was for a deposit. But they said as long as I didnt damage it, there would be no charges. I will be sure to check my statement. Same thing. They said I couldent have a car because i was not 25. But then they changed their mind/policy. Okay. Whatever. I drive my bike anyways, unless it gets cold this week. It probably has the same engine displacement! :twitch:

wesman
01-21-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by microsuck
Whatever. I drive my bike anyways, unless it gets cold this week. It probably has the same engine displacement! :twitch:

High of 30 on Thur...I'm betting you cruise the rental :twitch:

--wes

microsuck
01-21-2003, 04:19 PM
tru dat:crying:

L8 APEX
01-21-2003, 05:03 PM
When I was a youngin' I had to provide my own full coverage from my regualr vehicle. It was not easy so I usually made due for a few days..

microsuck
01-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Well, I got Mr. Bolt back today. With 2 brand new heads. North Central ford is awesome. They told me it would be ready next week, but I got the call today. They paid for 100% of everything. Wonder how long before I blow it up again?:banana: