PDA

View Full Version : Most blown motor WINNER!

L8 APEX
01-15-2003, 12:24 AM
I challenge anyone to blow a motor worse than this one:bows My oil pan or what was left weighed ten or fifteen lbs. Most of the rod pieces flew down the road as I cannot find them. Two of the pistons are the shiny nuggets on the left of the pieces pic. If you look you will see some rings, wrist pins, rod bolt, rod ends etc.. Check out the hole in the cylinder wall and the top part of the piston left:eek: Some part of me takes pride in the total destruction of a stock motor:beer: What is next from the Evil Lab:twitch:
http://www.talonclub.com/4images/data/media/43/blown1.jpg
http://www.talonclub.com/4images/data/media/43/blown2.jpg
http://www.talonclub.com/4images/data/media/43/blown3.jpg

tliss
01-15-2003, 08:01 AM
There was a rumor saying you blew 6 rods. Exactly how fast were you going and for what duration? This is not like you, Terry...you should have blown at a minimum all 8!

I have to admit...that's the worst I've ever seen a stock motor look. Too bad no one got video.

Tom

L8 APEX
01-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by tliss
There was a rumor saying you blew 6 rods. Exactly how fast were you going and for what duration? This is not like you, Terry...you should have blown at a minimum all 8!

I have to admit...that's the worst I've ever seen a stock motor look. Too bad no one got video.

Tom
I don't know how fast for sure the speedo stops at 140 so I would be guessing. Not very long, I have run over 140 for 30 minutes before with no problem. Sal supposedly made me a road race tune exactly for top end running. This time it didn't go a mile. Unfortunately I may sell the Corvette to stay cash positive. Since I paid cash for it my savings is too low for a bad arse rebuild. It cost me a thousand dollars to get my warranty voided with teardown fees and towing bills:hammer: It will probably end up around ten grand before she drives again..

Crawford
01-15-2003, 10:26 AM
What was their official reason for voiding the warranty Terry?

DWSmooth
01-15-2003, 01:17 PM
Terry,

How much for the Vette? I might be interested in getting your savings balance back up.

DAVID!

L8 APEX
01-15-2003, 05:01 PM
They didn't give a concrete reason. They said it must have been more modified than when I brought it in (prove it). I could have fought with them and probably won. It would have taken months and $$$, the end result would be another weak rod motor. Pistons and crank are quality pieces, the rods are long and thin, wrist pins are to heavy. They said it looked like a chip had been installed since the PCM was prepped, the trans may have a shift kit and other BS. I told them my chip had more fuel and less timing than stock for my use, didn't matter. They basically said they know the stress limits of their components and mine was way over stressed to blow that bad. The plugs and pistons looked great no detonation or leaning in the cylinder. Just too much stress on the rods. Here is the ad on the car BadMother (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=471168)

wesman
01-16-2003, 09:36 PM
Damn...sorry to hear about that Terry.

I may add to the cash fund soon. I'm gonna get those gears done as well as the TC. I'm gonna try to do the heads on my own, with the help of a friend, figured if I do that I'll save enough to get the TC and the gears installed.

I pick up the heads tomorrow....saw them today....they look pretty good. I'll take some pics and post them.

--wes

cpeapea
02-15-2003, 03:00 AM
jebus, you crack me up terry, i told my girlfriend about you selling your vette (she wants one)

L8 APEX
02-15-2003, 09:18 AM
YEah I hate to but since it is paid for and not my primary vehicle it goes first. I just don't want to go in debt fixing the Lighting in this kind of economy when I have the cash sitting in something else. It's okay by the time I am back on the road the L will be plenty nasty:twitch:

cpeapea
02-15-2003, 10:02 AM
boy i hear that

Silver_2000
02-15-2003, 07:26 PM
terry I added your blown motor pics to your gallery and updated the links here..

L8 APEX
02-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Got to have those pics:banana: You are resourceful when it is prudent:bows

blueoval01
03-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Doing a bit of research .......
Valve Float ........ better double spring those puppies.