PDA

View Full Version : Mass AirFlow Sensor Q

f150freak
01-13-2003, 04:34 AM
Ok, I may have been reading too many MM&FF mags but I have seen them install 2 aftermarket MAFs with some impressive gains. they did a 99 and a 01 or 02 Lightning. The 99 was a 53 RWHP gain with a chip, filter, and MAF. I dont remember what the gains on the 01/02 Lightning were.

I have found a 92mm and 95mm MAF at the Pro-M web site and I was wondering if this mod would be worth it. I am also thinking of doing a filter kit, Accufab TB, and maybe the ported upper plenum. With thoes mods in mind I am thinking the MAF is a must. Also I have herd that I need to get a custom chip programmed so the MAF will work properly, is that right?

Any thoughts?????

MAF link (http://pro-flow.com/Lightning%2001-02.htm)

L8 APEX
01-13-2003, 08:53 AM
Their is not as much gain as the dyno tricks show. Doug runs 12.26 and over 400 hp with a stock 00 80mm. I thnk Dennis went back to a stock 90mm. All of my customers run 01 and up 90mm either stock or as an upgrade. Wayne ran 486/630tq on 90mm maf. The problem is getting a good tune with those mafs. Mail order is near impossible you would need a dyno tune to make sure it is correct. Unless you are way up there with mods and pulleys stock or stock 90mm will serve you reliably to over 500rwhp. The plenum doesn't make power until you go to a 4 or 6# pullley, TB is always good as is a filter kit.

Sixpipes
01-13-2003, 09:02 AM
I just removed my 80mm Pro-M and put on a stock 90mm MAF. To get the kind of gains MM&FF magazine got, they had to be running a leaner-than-normal A/F. I suspect my 80MM Pro-M was calibrated on the lean side as well, but decided to go stock 90mm MAF because it is one less variable when trying to get a good (safe) tune through the mail. :cool: