PDA

View Full Version : Batteries time

L8 APEX
09-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, I felt one going weak for a while.. I tested them last fall and they both cranked 700+ amps. I tested them today and one is showing 625 amps and one if showing BAD or around 50 amps. Both show 12.50 volts but the bad one drops to 7 volts cranking. Mark up another couple hundred to the maint fund...

GoldLS1
09-14-2008, 04:29 PM
I didn't think they were that old??

L8 APEX
09-14-2008, 04:54 PM
I didn't think they were that old??
I think it is a crap shoot with stockers. Some arrive bad some last 8 years... Mine made 4 years and 90K miles. It sat for 5 months on the lot before I bought it and it sat for 4-5 months this spring while I drove the Lightning.
Moonshines F250 had bad batteries off the lot just about.

I thought she was cranking over a little slow. One issue with diesels is since there are two batteries you often don't know when one gets weak or goes bad. When one is weak it can damage the other battery and put some real wear on your alternator.
To test them I used my Fluke meter and a Schumacher 1000amp load tester. I turned on my light bar for a 5 minute load test. Then I disconnected the grounds of each battery. I measured the voltage which was 12.50 for each batt. Then I hit the load tester on each battery. The driver side pulled 650 amps and the passenger side was lame and showed less than 50 amps. The stock batts were rated for 750 cold cranking amps. So I dropped 200 bucks on Autozone Duralast GOLDs. They are rated for 875 cold and 1000 cranking with a 165 reserve 3yr free jumpstart and replacement..

WA 2 FST
09-14-2008, 07:38 PM
I can help supplement your maintenance fund if you will change my plugs!!!

L8 APEX
09-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Yes I do!

L8 APEX
09-17-2008, 09:20 AM
These new batteries are kicking ass! The engine actually fires up in 3-4 seconds. The air compressors run faster, lights are brighter... I hope they last a while...:tu:

gagspa
09-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I actually just replaced the one in the L. It has been acting up for months now (gauges resetting each time truck is started and power locks locking and unlocking.) $100 later and it runs fine. We bought the truck new in Feb. 04.

Texas heat is hard on batteries. I have replaced the one in my Mustang 3 times. It is one of the reasons that I use the Duralast Gold for a replacement. They have an 8 year warranty. Usually will be the last battery you buy.

dboat
09-17-2008, 12:33 PM
I actually just replaced the one in the L. It has been acting up for months now (gauges resetting each time truck is started and power locks locking and unlocking.) $100 later and it runs fine. We bought the truck new in Feb. 04.

Texas heat is hard on batteries. I have replaced the one in my Mustang 3 times. It is one of the reasons that I use the Duralast Gold for a replacement. They have an 8 year warranty. Usually will be the last battery you buy.

These new batteries are kicking ass! The engine actually fires up in 3-4 seconds. The air compressors run faster, lights are brighter... I hope they last a while...:tu:

Duralast Gold kicks arse.. I had one in the L, died over the winter, took it in and got a new one, no questions asked.. they did test it.. but the three year, full coverage replacement with 8 years prorated is the best.. plus they work..

Dana

PUMP
09-17-2008, 11:28 PM
My 2003 L is 5-years this month and OEM battery still going strong.
Having said that, it'll probably go south at the first cold snap:eek: But I can't complain about it. 5-years id frigging good:banana:

Moonshine
09-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Moonshines F250 had bad batteries off the lot just about.

Yup, had to replace them after just over a year, and on new batteries the motor spun over faster than it ever had on the OEM's. I suspect I had a weak or bad battery from the getgo.

my2002lightning
09-18-2008, 10:12 PM
I bought the '02 L brand-new in 2/03 in Akron, OH. They had to jump-start it for the initial test-drive. With a new OEM battery, I couldn't get the L to start as it was dead the next day at the hotel.

This was with it sitting all winter up there with me being the first test-driver of the truck.

0'Lightning
12-29-2008, 08:21 PM
...The stock batts were rated for 750 cold cranking amps. So I dropped 200 bucks on Autozone Duralast GOLDs. They are rated for 875 cold and 1000 cranking with a 165 reserve 3yr free jumpstart and replacement.

Saw this and just bought the same battery. My trucks starts so fast compared to the old. Great battery:tu:

L8 APEX
12-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Yep, I would do the Duralast Gold or the Motorcraft MAXX 850 with 100 month warranty from Orielys or dealer.

ZeusSVT
12-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Yep, I would do the Duralast Gold or the Motorcraft MAXX 850 with 100 month warranty from Orielys or dealer.

I went with Motorcraft last month when my stock battery decided to take a shit. I figured that one lasted that long, I might as well give another one a chance. That reminds me, I need to take the other one back when I get back. :hammer:

0'Lightning
12-30-2008, 01:05 AM
I went with Motorcraft last month when my stock battery decided to take a shit. I figured that one lasted that long, I might as well give another one a chance. That reminds me, I need to take the other one back when I get back. :hammer:

Autozone game me $10 bucks for my core

ZeusSVT
12-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Autozone game me $10 bucks for my core

I think the dealer was like 6 or something. I'd have to check my receipt. I know they charged me something though when I didn't have the old one when I bought the new one. I still hadn't taken it out of the truck by then. Hopefully I'll get around to it next year. :icon_eek:

dboat
12-30-2008, 05:29 AM
Duragold batteries.. :tu:

I had one go bad after one year and they just handed me another one after testing it.. no complaints here..

Dana

my2002lightning
01-01-2009, 12:15 AM
My Optima Red-Top has been running solid for 3+ yrs.