PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: '04 DSG L for sale

WA 2 FST
09-07-2008, 12:31 AM
No need to ask why... I have owned a Gen 2 L since Aug of '99. They are great trucks. However, I could use a crew-cab truck which would allow me to get rid of a vehicle (L and 300C). I know I'll kick myself someday for selling it, but here goes....

Vehicle description:

Immaculately kept '04 DSG Lightning, one meticulous owner
30.8k miles
Engine mods:
Kenne Bell 2.2L blower (pullied at a very conseravative 14psi... engine has never seen more boost than that)
Kooks long-tubes
Custom Magnaflow exhaust, stainless polished 3" tips (Terry Cole)
SCT Tuner w/ 3 tunes (Terry Cole)
NGK TR-6 plugs (less than 300 miles on them)
LFP electric fan
LFP heat exchanger
LFP CAI
Accufab SB throttle body
SCT MAF
60lb injectors
Twin 255lph in-tank fuel pumps
Transmission/Driveline mods:
FTVB
4x4 trans pan
T/A performance rear end girdle
Suspension mods:
Full Roush suspension (rear leafs, front coils, Roush-spec Bilstein shocks)
Metco Lower control arms
Exterior appearance mods:
HRE 845 wheels (stock size)
Your choice of taillights... custom DSG painted '04 tails or '00 red tails
BedRug
Extang BlackMax tonneau cover
Interior mods:
Autometer Lunar series boost gauge in steering wheel pod
Alpine single CD, two Infinity amps, Morel tweeters/mids in doors, two 8" Kicker subs behind seats
NO wear on driver's seat!!! (I am 5'6" and 150lbs... and the only driver)
Tires:
Nitto 555f... 75% tread, Nitto 555R in rear... 75% tread

Performance stats:
NEVER raced down the 1/4 mile since I had the KB installed 9k miles ago
Dyno'd at 459rwhp/534rwtq in 95F heat at only 13psi of boost on 93 octane (no detonation EVER... this truck is very conservatively tuned!!)

Asking $22k or $20k with showroom perfect stock wheels... no tire-kickers, and don't ask me to part it out. If it doesn't sell, I will keep it and then I will regret taking off quality parts.

Some pics are in the gallery.

Ohmsby
09-07-2008, 10:52 AM
IMHO this is one of the clean correct Lightning's Good Luck with the sale.

L8 APEX
09-07-2008, 10:55 AM
If Dwight's friend is in the ball park this truck is beyond showroom clean and way faster. This thing should fly off the shelf... Maybe even before I can see it again. There is no more meticulous owner than Wes :bows.

L8 APEX
09-07-2008, 11:49 AM
How much are the HRE's:evil

98Cobra
09-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey Wes...I have an 07 FX4 SC that would fit the bill. Interested in a possible trade of some kind?

StormShadow
09-07-2008, 03:15 PM
:eek:

toddwarren
09-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Wes how about a 2002 Harley:d I am truely shocked with reading this!

I will tell a few people and see if I can help you out.

Warren

WA 2 FST
09-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the truck, guys.

Terry, the HRE's only go if someone wants to buy the truck, but wants the stock wheels.

Garrett... I like the new F150 SC styling, but I do not want a 4WD truck, and I am more apt to look into a Silverado with the 6.0L engine. Ford's powerplants just leave me completely unenthused.

Strange things happened this weekend anyway. I fear one of the turbos in my Z06 is toast, and my wife's '06 Trailblazer nearly left her stranded again... strange, intermittent electrical gremlins that the dealer cannot diagnose (b/c it always seems to work fine when we take it up there) makes for a very bad situation.

So I am now forced to seriously consider dumping that piece of junk. It is 2+ years old, has 26k miles, and has been in the shop at least 10x (not counting routine oil changes/maintenance). It suits our needs, but I can't have her stuck somewhere.

I went from 4 vehicles to 2 in the matter of 36 hours. The Lightning is getting daily duty this week.

Ohmsby
09-08-2008, 01:49 PM
what about the S-10......

WA 2 FST
09-08-2008, 01:50 PM
sold it awhile back to a young man in college who attends our church.

98Cobra
09-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the TBSS problems. I also was pretty sure you wouldnt need/want a 4WD for the type of duty you are thinking, but I had to ask. :)

Ohmsby
09-08-2008, 03:33 PM
What about a MOOMBA ski boat and $$$$:evil

WA 2 FST
09-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Garett, no harm in asking. :) I appreciate the fact you think my truck would be nice enough for you to own.

You're right, though... I just don't need a 4x4. I don't have a boat, don't tow anything, and don't do _any_ off-roading.

If I end up having to purchase my wife another vehicle, then I'm not going to sell the truck. I'll take a bath on the TBSS, and I don't know what it is going to cost to replace a turbo on the Vette.

Shiner1
09-08-2008, 03:59 PM
"I don't have a boat, don't tow anything"

See above post..:evil

WA 2 FST
09-08-2008, 04:11 PM
I live near Lake Lavon... not the best for boating fun. Too busy to take up a new hobby, and my in-laws live on Lake Travis with a Cobalt and Jet Skis if we want to go see some family and get out on the lake. :)

Silver_2000
09-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Dwight from NLOC had a friend looking for a noce 12 sec truck - I told him about this one - heck if I wasn't fixing to lose my job I would consider buying it :tu::tu:

Ohmsby
09-08-2008, 07:28 PM
I am Kind of hoping someone buys it or it comes off the market.:icon_mrgreen:

We have discussed it a lot over the last day or so and I always thought if another DSG with the correct pedigree became available I would get back into a Gen 2 and this one certainly fits the bill.

I keep saying I am buying a Z06 and have not found the deal I am after yet.

Either way if it stays in Wes's stable or someone else buys it it is a nice ride.

WA 2 FST
09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm surprised you haven't bought a Z06, John. At $10k off sticker with no haggling, that is a heckuva car for the $$, IMHO. If I didn't have my twin-turbo car, I'd have bought a new one. Best of luck with your continued search. :tu:

Yeah... its crazy. After lots of contemplation, I post the L for sale, and then all heck breaks loose with two of my other vehicles. I was telling my wife today that it might be absolute lunacy to sell a vehicle that has been this reliable.

Ohmsby
09-08-2008, 07:47 PM
I decided to buy a modded C5 instead of the C6 for now after buying the Porsche this year buying another $60 K or so ride just does not seem prudent.

Plenty of hot C5's in the market on the cheap. DSG was my first lightning love and this one has been tempting me. :hammer:

You are correct if nothing else an non abused L is reliable as hell IMHO

We almost bought a TB SS word on the street has not been good we may have dodged the bullet on that one.

I have not any any trouble with my Sierra Denali AWD and it is rated at 405 HP all aluminum 6.2. a little over a year on the road and 45,000 miles later I am Happy. They are letting these go on the cheap from the dealership. We actually bought two that week in our Family My So's father got one three days after mine and it has done well also. May be a alternative for you.

WA 2 FST
09-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Forgot you bought the Porsche. Yes, there are a ton of very low-mile C5s out there that are very nice. I won't be selling mine, and when its running properly (this is the first issue I've had with the car in 6.5 years of ownership) it will beat a new ZR1 ... at least in any contest I'll ever engage in. LOL

The crazy thing about the TBSS is that the problems we're having have had nothing to do with the "SS" part of the vehicle. It's all stupid stuff that is just QC issues with the Trailblazer line in general. 2 dead batteries, 1 ignition switch (both will leave someone stranded), rear glass that won't lock (security issue for the family!!), rear pinion seal, one rear taillight inoperable, the list goes on. The rear diff was replaced and that might be an SS issue, except that we don't hot-rod the thing around, so it shouldn't have been a problem. It's just basic QC stuff...but when it comes to my wife being left stranded, then I draw a deep line in the sand.

She likes the SRT-8 Jeep. I like it too. Those seem to be pretty reliable. Gas hog, but I don't care about mpg as short as most of our drives are.

Glad to hear about your Denali. That's a good track record.

99bolt
09-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't know what turbos Lingenfelter uses, but most turbos can be rebuilt or repaired. A replacement shouldn't cost too much, unless the vette tax is assed.

WA 2 FST
09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
T28s... little bitty, fast-spooling, hairdryers.

98Cobra
09-09-2008, 12:06 AM
I have read nothing but crap about problems with the Jeep SRT8. Stuff that makes your TBSS issues sound, well, cute, by comparison.

The funny thing is - I really, really liked the looks of it and wanted one, despite their inability to tow. But when I started reading about the problems (even PAINT issues) I am glad I didnt get the fever too bad.

99bolt
09-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Looks like the T28s go for around 1k. The only problem is, does Lingenfelter modify it for their application.

Beaudee
09-09-2008, 07:49 AM
I think your a bit stressed.You need to keep it.Youll be sorry if ya sell it.:tu:As far as GM products,never owned one that didnt cost me.My L. has never been in the shop for anything other than some bugs when i first bought it.Been in the mod. shop for a few:icon_mrgreen:.Either way good luck,and i think U making a mistake:tu:Nice truck:bows

StormShadow
09-09-2008, 10:18 AM
i think you should keep it for another year untill i can afford to buy it

my2002lightning
09-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Hang in there Wes and keep that L! :tu: That's one of the sharpest looking trucks as I've seen running around the area.

WA 2 FST
09-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Well its off the market (for now) b/c I just forked over some $$ (no car loan for me) to trade in the TBSS.

It was funny b/c for the past few days my wife has been saying, "well its nice that we have multiple vehicles to drive", after years of poking fun at me for having 4 vehicles in a family with 2 drivers.

Unlike Beaudee, I've owned several GM products and except for this TB, they've been good. But there are times when I am willing to bite the bullet, bend over and take one for the team... and when my wife is getting left stranded by a stupid vehicle and the dealership has no answer for me, then that's one of them.

So she has a shiny new Yukon Denali loaded to the hilt (blows away the '99 Expedition we had for 6 years... the main reason I wanted to get away from a full-size SUV in the first place) and I will keep the Lightning.

Garett, you are right about the Jeep SRT8 reviews. The Charger and 300C models seem very reliable (mine has been great so far), but not so much with the Jeep. Plus, they weren't offering much of a deal on those, and I could get a fully loaded Yukon for 12k off sticker + better gas mileage to boot. And the 380+hp V8 w/ a 6-speed tranny and AWD runs pretty good, too.

Ronald... thanks for the compliments! Trust me, there is not one day I don't walk out of a place of business, take a look at the truck, and say, "man, that thing looks good." Every time I see another L on the road, I say that too (not just about mine). It just can only hold me and one passenger (my kids can still squeeze in there if they have to), so it gets driven less and less. It's not much more practical than the Vette, but as Beau and John agree on, it seems to be a very reliable vehicle. My '99 never gave me a lick of trouble, except for the I/C recall, and even with this one, I intentionally built it up conservatively with an eye square on reliability. So far, so good.

my2002lightning
09-10-2008, 12:02 AM
I feel the same way as you Wes as I still have the Liberty and L.

Ronald... thanks for the compliments! Trust me, there is not one day I don't walk out of a place of business, take a look at the truck, and say, "man, that thing looks good." Every time I see another L on the road, I say that too (not just about mine). It just can only hold me and one passenger (my kids can still squeeze in there if they have to), so it gets driven less and less. It's not much more practical than the Vette, but as Beau and John agree on, it seems to be a very reliable vehicle. My '99 never gave me a lick of trouble, except for the I/C recall, and even with this one, I intentionally built it up conservatively with an eye square on reliability. So far, so good.

98Cobra
09-10-2008, 12:52 AM
I know it cost you, but glad it worked out, Wes. Post some pics!

Beaudee
09-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Nice truck,still up 4 sale??

Beaudee
09-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Back up for sale again??

L8 APEX
09-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I am all for no loans but the smart money uses their 0% offers.:twitch:

Ohmsby
09-10-2008, 01:09 PM
I am the 0 for my Denali and I like it a lot

WA 2 FST
09-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I wasn't offered that. It was $5k cashback or 0%. I took the 5k cashback.

WA 2 FST
09-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I am the 0 for my Denali and I like it a lot

Good to hear you are pleased with yours John.

My wife literally spent 1.5 hours today going through the vehicle and figuring out all the buttons, settings, etc... and she's a quick study (3.8 GPA in college).

This thing has a lot of gadgets, and most of them are pretty cool features. Used to, I would shy away from more electronics, but with the sophistication nowdays, I'm hopeful it will be reliable.

My daughter thinks the heated 2nd row captains chairs are cool.

My impressions on the short drive home are that it is very solid, handles extremely well for a full-size SUV, and is comfortable to cruise in. I haven't laid on the throttle too hard yet, but it'll be plenty of "oomph" for my wife.

John, do you have aftermarket wheels on yours?

L8 APEX
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I think he had them keep the stinking 20's and got stock 18's then put 285 BFG's on them...

Ohmsby
09-10-2008, 05:27 PM
yeah the 20's were a little blingy for the truck version put the BFG's and a 2" spring in the front to level it out

WA 2 FST
11-07-2008, 11:29 PM
If anyone is interested, feel free to e-mail me at wa_2_fst@tx.rr.com

Pics are in the Gallery on this board. I will be out of pocket for a few days, so if I don't get back with you, that may be why.

WA 2 FST
11-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Bump... up for sale. I have a young man in Houston who is interested, but he and I understand that it is still for sale until $$ is put down.

Feel free to e-mail or PM with questions.