PDA

View Full Version : watch out fpr XP 2008 Antivirus

Silver_2000
08-08-2008, 08:31 AM
A new malware application is getting PUSHED to peoples PCs thru emails or interesting websites

Its VERY difficult to remove

It changes your background to say you have a virus and it launches itself over and over to "clean " the pc of the thousands of viruses it finds - and you are asked to BUY the program to remove the found viruses

The trouble is if you give them your CC your in BIG trouble - AND the viruses it finds DONT exist - the program itself is the biggest issue

Its VERY difficult to remove

Be Careful

dboat
08-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Doug,

Does it have a particular name to look for?

Dana

TXLIGHTNING
08-08-2008, 10:24 AM
My brother in law got it and the only thing we could find to remove it was Windows Live OneCare http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/download.htm Im using this software myself now and I like it :tu: If you do get this virus just download the 90 day trial and remove it that way.

dboat
08-08-2008, 10:28 AM
My brother in law got it and the only thing we could find to remove it was Windows Live OneCare http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/download.htm Im using this software myself now and I like it :tu: If you do get this virus just download the 90 day trial and remove it that way.

was it called anything when he downloaded it?

mikelemoine
08-08-2008, 10:45 PM
It's actually called XP 2008 Antivirus. Common trick to fool people into thinking it's a message from their own PC or a MS product. It is malware/spyware that embeds itself so deep into your PC that it just reloads itself after you remove it unless you can clean it from the registry.

Never click on anything that pops up and wants to install itself without you asking it to! You can go to Windows update site (or whatever OS/software/hardware mfgs you use) to get valid updates periodically. Also don't trust clicking "Cancel" as clicking anywhere on the popup button can really mean OK and install immediately if the spammer is really aggressive. Hover your mouse over the yes/ok or no/cancel/X buttons as well as other parts of the popup window. If the mouse looks like a hand (like its ready to select something) no matter where you hover, it is a bogus message and the cancel button is a picture that doesn't cancel. Clicking anywhere on that popup will likely allow the malware/spammer to do what it wants regardless of your intentions. If I get a popup like that I usually ctrl/alt/delete and end task (IE) to kill it rather than take a chance. Easier to find your web page again then to get this crap off your PC.

I'd love to find one of those jerks' office so I could throw a brick through their window everyday so they can see what its like to have people sending you unwanted crap that messes up your business:throw:

Silver_2000
08-20-2008, 05:37 PM
it has a number of similar names - its getting REALLY popular

you can use this to remove it

http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Ohmsby
08-20-2008, 06:25 PM
another reason I live in the Apple world.....:icon_cool: