PDA

View Full Version : new motor

Lil Nicky88
04-26-2002, 02:36 AM
About a month after I bought my truck it started making this ticking noise. A friend told me it sounded like my main bearing. Needless to say that it was and since my truck was still under warranty they replaced the whole motor assembly with a factory rebuild.

I was wondering if the break in miles are the same on a factory rebuild as they are on a brand new motor, and what is the best way to break in a factory rebuild

btw, spun main bearings suck

L8 APEX
04-26-2002, 07:06 AM
There are a lot of opinions on this... I drove mine easy for 500 miles, not a lot of top end runs until 1000 miles. I changed the oil at 600 miles and did not go to synthetics until 6000 miles. These motors have a moly top ring and it takes a while to cut in and won't under synthetic oil for a LONG time. I believe drive it like you are going to drive it from here on out. They should have put a crate motor off the assy line in your truck no different than new.

Lil Nicky88
04-26-2002, 03:40 PM
I just want everyone to know that Middlekauf Ford is the biggest bunch of weasels that I have ever met. The only person I find respectable is my service advisor Jimmy Foster, but he's fixin' to **** me off. They are giving me a factory rebuild because it saves them money and man hours. I only let them because a good friend of mine that runs a shop off parker and alma in Plano says that a factory rebuild is actually a good motor.

So a factory rebuild is broken in the same way a new one is? Thats what I wanted to know. Thanks.

L8 APEX
04-26-2002, 04:00 PM
Doesn't sound like SVT knows they are doing it. SVT usually demands all failed motors come back for inspection and be replaced w/ one off the new line. No telling what you are getting with a "dealer rebuild" They may just put bearings in the bottom end and turn or replce the crank. if so your rings and such are the same old ones you have had.

Lil Nicky88
04-26-2002, 04:03 PM
I had no idea about that. Thanks for the info.

Silver_2000
04-26-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
Doesn't sound like SVT knows they are doing it. SVT usually demands all failed motors come back for inspection and be replaced w/ one off the new line. No telling what you are getting with a "dealer rebuild" They may just put bearings in the bottom end and turn or replce the crank. if so your rings and such are the same old ones you have had.

I heard they ran out of engines recently and started using rebuilds... For a short time the "rebuild" part numbers were actually the remaining stock of new engines form the last run...

Doug

Crawford
04-26-2002, 04:38 PM
If I were you I would call the SVT hotline and ask them what is going on, let them know everything. Get the word straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

wesman
05-02-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Crawford
If I were you I would call the SVT hotline and ask them what is going on, let them know everything. Get the word straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

What is the SVT Hotline? I need a new certificate :)

blueoval01
05-02-2002, 02:50 PM
WesMan, did you buy a new 2002 L, or a used '99,'00 or '01?

Crawford
05-02-2002, 02:59 PM
I think its 1-800-ford-svt
Can anyone confirm?

wesman
05-02-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by blueoval01
WesMan, did you buy a new 2002 L, or a used '99,'00 or '01?

Used '00 ....just picked it up yesterday...needs a little work...but I'll have it as good as new in no time.

Any suggestions on aftermarket warranty's ? Looking at one from
warrantybynet.com....any experiences with them or any other company ?

blueoval01
05-02-2002, 03:24 PM
Go to:
http://www.svt.ford.com/flash/index.html
. .....and click on "Contact Us".

I sent a fax to them with my name, address, phone number, etc, along with the year model and VIN number. I received the certificate in 3-4 days.

:tu:

Silver_2000
05-02-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by wesman

Used '00 ....just picked it up yesterday...needs a little work...but I'll have it as good as new in no time.

Any suggestions on aftermarket warranty's ? Looking at one from
warrantybynet.com....any experiences with them or any other company ?

ONLY use FORD warranty ... Read this thread to see why ...
http://talon.svtlightnings.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172

Doug

Lil Nicky88
05-03-2002, 02:45 AM
my new motor is just great. I drove it alot so I could break it in, then I put my chip on (which I'll probably regret) so I could take it to the track at Denton. Best was 8.2.

BTW there was a guy with a 99 or 00 lightning (black) that used to work maintenance in my apts. in McKinney. Do any of you other Mckinney guys know who I'm talking about? What happened to him?