PDA

View Full Version : Truck stops are over 4 bucks today

L8 APEX
04-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Flying J is 4.03 this evening... When I bought my diesel in March of 2005 diesel was 1.64 a gallon.

03'svtlight
04-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Flying J is 4.03 this evening... When I bought my diesel in March of 2005 diesel was 1.64 a gallon.

Terry, i was just tellin' my wife the EXACT same thing. My first fuel ticket when i first started driving was 1.53 per gallon (july 04). i had 100 gallon tanks. I could go 1100-1200 miles on a fill up averaging 6 mpg. That was about 325.00 bucks. I could get to Jacksonville,Fl. before a refuel. Today that same trip would cost 850.00 bucks. Unbelievable. :cool:

L8 APEX
04-19-2008, 11:09 PM
So you quit trucking? The independents have it the worst.. I used to tell people if you can afford the car you can afford to fuel it. I am seriously reconsidering that now... I am constantly calculating my personal consumption and it is affecting our 3 day weekends and vacation trips. it is costing about 200 bucks to go out of town and ride my ATV for the day. A days recreation just shouldn't cost that much to live a little...

FRDRCING
04-20-2008, 11:17 AM
I drove past a station in Arlingtion yesterday that was flashing back and forth between $4.01 and $4.05.

Silver_2000
04-20-2008, 11:23 AM
I drove past a station in Arlingtion yesterday that was flashing back and forth between $4.01 and $4.05.

cash - credit

03LightningRocks
04-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Fuel cost is the single biggest reason I can't race the FFW circuit. I don't see how any of those guys can afford to chase that thing around the country. The first year I ran in it the fuel was a big enough expense to cause me to question the trips. Now with fuel more than double what it was, I don't have to question it.:gatling:

Moonshine
04-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Unless you need a diesel for towing it just doesn't make sense these days. Hence my return to a gas motor.

BTW Terry, Sam parked his SD, bought a Toyota Yaris for driving unless he's towing the 5th wheel. Said the fuel savings are covering the payment. But it's still another vehicle to insure, maintain, etc. :icon_frown:

L8 APEX
04-20-2008, 11:20 PM
The mileage break point for another vehicle is pretty high. I'd say 30-50K miles a year. A new vehicle doesn't run for free it still requires gas. I think the only thing that may save is driving a vehicle under 5K in value. If you are making payments, plus full coverage insurance etc then you are losing money. Diesel is usually within 50 cents a gallon of regular. Right now it is about 70 cents. It takes a lot of 50 cent miles to pay for a whole nuther car. If I didn't have my enclosed trailer or land I would be back in a gas half ton. I can't take my ATV vacations without a F250. My commuter will likely be a used Focus.

03LightningRocks
04-21-2008, 12:13 AM
The mileage break point for another vehicle is pretty high. I'd say 30-50K miles a year. A new vehicle doesn't run for free it still requires gas. I think the only thing that may save is driving a vehicle under 5K in value. If you are making payments, plus full coverage insurance etc then you are losing money. Diesel is usually within 50 cents a gallon of regular. Right now it is about 70 cents. It takes a lot of 50 cent miles to pay for a whole nuther car. If I didn't have my enclosed trailer or land I would be back in a gas half ton. I can't take my ATV vacations without a F250. My commuter will likely be a used Focus.

That is the math that keeps me from buying a fuel efficient car. I don't drive around town enough to ever pay for the extra payment. Like you, I have to have my truck for towing...at least until I give up on the hope to be able to hit the tracks again and sell my trailer. Another issue for me is that I have been driving pick up trucks for 30 years. I get real nervous driving in cars. They make me feel claustrophobic.

L8 APEX
04-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I don't want to drive a tin coffin in the name of saving some gas money. Plus when I analyze where I rack up miles driving. I could not use a car for those trips anyway. I am 10 miles from work so I only drive 100 miles a week to work. But every weekend I drive 2-300 miles riding the ATV, working my land, home improvement projects etc.. A car would just set on the weekends. I thought about a little Toyota type truck since it had a bed on it. But those cost too much and mileage is still under 20... The f250 does it all with ease and gets 15-17 so I can't easily replace it with a lesser pickup. My buddy Brad just bought a new 08 loaded Silverado Z71 43 thousand dollar window sticker. It gets the same mileage as my F250 and can't haul anything more than a light load. It won't even fit an ATV in the bed and close the gate. So we can't load one and trailer one when we go riding. The F250 can though...

Moonshine
04-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Don't disagree with your math, or your assessment at all. Just letting you know what Sam did.

slick-svt
04-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Weatherford dealers are having a hail sale.....could get a focus for under 9k

Moonshine
04-21-2008, 03:00 PM
When I went through Weatherford Sat PM I didn't see nearly as many damaged cars at the dealerships as the news had made it sound like they had.

my2002lightning
04-21-2008, 03:24 PM
I saw $4.19 today for diesel, today.:(

slick-svt
04-21-2008, 08:39 PM
When I went through Weatherford Sat PM I didn't see nearly as many damaged cars at the dealerships as the news had made it sound like they had.
Most were in back having windshields replaced.....the whole front of Southwest ford was empty..

L8 APEX
04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
I know, Sam is rich he can do things like that:D. Too bad my ATV only gets 12-17MPG:icon_eek: I just can't break that mileage no matter what I drive...:hammer: