View Full Version : Home theatre system

Sonicblue03
02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
With the recent talk of new televisions I have decided to upgrade my sound system as well. I am satisfied with most of my speakers and the receiver but my system is severely lacking in bass. It is an Onkyo 5.1 surround. My setup is in a fairly large room so anything considered excessive is probably just right for me!:tu: Anyone have some suggestions? I listen to a lot of music and watch movies as well so it needs to perform well for both situations.

L8 APEX
02-05-2008, 05:44 PM
I am a fan of Cerwin Wega sub cabinets for home theatre:tu:

SILVER2000SVT
02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Sunfire packs a lot of sound in a little space, the sound was kind of muddy for my taste though.

Velodyne makes some really good sounding subs. They have accelerometers on the speaker so it compares the signal coming in to the amp to what is actually being played and compensates to make them match. Therefore replicating the signal perfectly. They have a cheaper line now and am not sure if they have this function but the more expensive ones do.

Sandman
02-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I have an Onkyo 5.1 and I think it has plenty of bass. Are you sure you have the correct subwoofer mode set? I've noticed mine doesn't sound near as full if the bass if filtered out of the surround speakers.

wesman
02-05-2008, 10:35 PM
You will almost never get a good sub with a pre-packaged system, not to mention that your receiver likely isn't putting out a ton of power unless it's dedicated (which it isn't from the way it sounds)

--wes

mikelemoine
02-05-2008, 10:56 PM
I have an Infinity HPS-1000 sub. They are not made anymore but you can still find them on ebay once in a while for about $400-$500ish (watch the shipping). It weighs 90 lbs and is the size of an end table. It has a 15" woofer and 2 15" passive radiators and claims 1000 watts RMS (probably 250 or so really). Goes down to 18hz and shakes the hell out of the house (2nd floor seems to amplify compared to when it was downstairs). It drowns out even the mean voices in my head very well. If you're a true audiophile, this sub isn't for you, but it will give you movie theater effects and can easily impress your favorite teenager with very loud, deep bass. Sorry, its not very wife friendly....:evil Here are a couple links about it.

http://www.epinions.com/elec-review-598C-489FEA6-39B14F0F-prod1

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?subwactv&1171762385

Beaudee
02-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Top of the line Oklahoma sound system :icon_mrgreen: http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1289275699&vw=g&b=0&pos=1&p=jews+harp&fr=sfp :cool:

Sonicblue03
02-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks Guys!! Time to do some research on everyone's suggestions!:tu:

Beaudee
02-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks Guys!! Time to do some research on everyone's suggestions!:tu:
Mine the Cheapest:icon_mrgreen:Sorry Matt i couldnt resist.

Sonicblue03
02-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Mine the Cheapest:icon_mrgreen:Sorry Matt i couldnt resist.

Yeah well you need a swift kick in the ***:eek2:
J/k that one was funny....:rll:

Beaudee
02-06-2008, 09:09 AM
:rll::rll: On a serious note,i am not much on the sound systems but i have been looking @ some of the projecters for home theatre.Wow!!The heck with flat screen high dollar t.v.'sThey have come a long way.:tu:

Sonicblue03
02-06-2008, 09:13 AM
I have an Onkyo 5.1 and I think it has plenty of bass. Are you sure you have the correct subwoofer mode set? I've noticed mine doesn't sound near as full if the bass if filtered out of the surround speakers.

The Onkyo sub was ok when it was in a smaller room. My current setup is now in a larger room with vaulted ceilings which probably isn't the best for surround sound and bass. When I watch movies I want it to vibrate my **** when an explosion goes off....:eek: (sorry, couldn't think of a better way to describe it). However, it is now furthest away from where my wife/daughter sleeps and no bit**ing makes it worthwhile.:D

Sonicblue03
02-06-2008, 09:18 AM
:rll::rll: On a serious note,i am not much on the sound systems but i have been looking @ some of the projecters for home theatre.Wow!!The heck with flat screen high dollar t.v.'sThey have come a long way.:tu:

The projectors are nice! I really only watch t.v. at night so I have been thinking of getting something like a 100' drop down screen and ceiling mount projector.

dboat
02-06-2008, 09:52 AM
The projectors are nice! I really only watch t.v. at night so I have been thinking of getting something like a 100' drop down screen and ceiling mount projector.

I have an Optoma HD projector that is around 1 year old.. it has been great to use.. the new models these days dont make all the fan noise like the old ones and there are some new models out now that are bright enough you can use them during the day (or so they say). From a bang for your buck, I dont think you can beat them.. I have a 106" screen mounted to the wall in my basement because I wanted to do the whole thing on the cheap. I will say that you need to invest in a really good screen, there are a couple of top tier manufacturers for these and its money well spent because you wont have to replace them in the future.. mine cost just under $1000, as a reference point..

Dana

Todd
02-06-2008, 10:36 AM
http://www.htd.com They are based in Plano. If you never heard their speakers you need to stop in and check them out. Great customer service and their speakers will blow the others away. Ask for Chris and tell him I said to give you a good deal.:tu:

wesman
02-06-2008, 02:54 PM
I have an Optoma HD projector that is around 1 year old.. it has been great to use.. the new models these days dont make all the fan noise like the old ones and there are some new models out now that are bright enough you can use them during the day (or so they say). From a bang for your buck, I dont think you can beat them.. I have a 106" screen mounted to the wall in my basement because I wanted to do the whole thing on the cheap. I will say that you need to invest in a really good screen, there are a couple of top tier manufacturers for these and its money well spent because you wont have to replace them in the future.. mine cost just under $1000, as a reference point..

Dana

Bang for the buck definitely goes to projectors in the last year or so. They have come down in price quite a bit. If they were feasible in higher light situations like I have in my living room I would have gone with one. I opted to for plasma as even the LED's would have had trouble with some of the angles/ light.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/Living_room2.jpg

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/Living_room.jpg

dboat
02-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Wes, I see what you mean.. but when folks come to my ghetto home theatre in the basement, they talk how much its like watching a movie in the theatre. I dont have much tied up in mine because I havent done anything to the basement, so its still concrete floor and walls..

btw, nice place you got there. :tu:
Dana

wesman
02-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks, much appreciated.

That's one thing that I'm envious of the North for. Almost all homes seem to have basements etc. I would love to have a basement to finish out. It'd be a cost effective way to add a lot of sq ft for useable space/theatre room/ gameroom.

I plan on adding a 2-3 car garage detached outer building with lifts etc and a nice space on top for gameroom and bar etc and then I can turn my back bonus/gameroom into a theatre room.

DamonH on here has a nice setup in his new house for his theatre room....works out really well ad looks amazing. His screen seems to be about 100+", makes my 60" plasma look like a computer monitor.

--wes

dboat
02-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Wes,

I didnt know until recently that the reason they have basements here is because the foundation has to go below the frost line to fend off upheaval. Otherwise, they wouldnt exist.. but you are right, they become a very effective way to increase your living space, and until you finish them out and get reviewed for it, no increase in home value and taxes.. :tu:

oh, and most of the guys that come to the basement just stand there with their mouth open too.. especially when watching a sporting event in HD.. its almost better than being there and the picture is larger than life.

Dana

Sonicblue03
02-06-2008, 04:28 PM
I would love to have a dedicated theater room. There isn't a good low light room in my house that isn't already being used for something. As of now my lcd is in the family room and the projector will be in the living room for evening movies. It wouldn't bother me to sit outside if I had a 100"+ screen to look at. :tu:

BC Lightning
02-07-2008, 11:24 AM
I've been real happy with my polk audio floorstanding speakers, I really like them because they have a built in powered subwoofer, they scream like no other speakers I have heard, perfect high and mid range, and the bass is sharp and hits, not like most subs that sound sloppy, wish I hadn't moved out I really enjoyed that room

got a smoking deal on the pair from Frys, the pair for $1200.00

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/individual/floorstanding/lsi25/

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/IMG_0855.jpg

Beaudee
02-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I am lookin for an outdoor system.Must compatible with ipod and the speakers able to withstand outdoor elements.:tex

dboat
02-18-2008, 10:17 PM
I am lookin for an outdoor system.Must compatible with ipod and the speakers able to withstand outdoor elements.:tex

I saw one on the show "I want that" on HGTV.. it was an LCD tv.. watertight and all..

Dana