PDA

View Full Version : New Home

bluesvt
01-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Just got into the house a little over a month ago and have a couple questions. I have been looking at Lowe's and what not for a fence. Prices are looking to be about $1100 for what I need done and thats only for the panels. Anyone know of a good fencing place that might be cheaper. The house was built in 56 and is only 1100 square feet 2 car garage and .44 acres. Dishwasher, fridge, and oven all stopped working in the month so far. I have not had good luck with it but still enjoying it. Another question I have is what can I do about cats. I know I can get a live trap but these things are unbelieveable. Richland Hills has cats everywhere and prob 1/3 of them hang out around my house. The dog runs them off but they come right back. I heard fox urine works but walking outside smells of cat piss and sh*t constantly. I figured I would post here to see what some of you guys would say. Thanks.

L8 APEX
01-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I would use a 22 bolt action rifle firing CB longs for the cats. Get at least half inch thick pickets. My builder grade fence was 3/8" pickets and I could throw a baseball through them. Steel posts in concrete probably last the longest. Use screws or the pickets will fall out over time.

Sonicblue03
01-05-2008, 08:23 PM
I would use a 22 bolt action rifle firing CB longs for the cats.

:eek: It sounds like Terry doesn't like cats. If you don't want to shoot them you can lay out some type of poison in your yard. If the law is the same as OK, you won't get in any trouble as long as it's on your property. Also you could just call animal control when their out running around.

slick-svt
01-05-2008, 09:11 PM
I have a RWS model 52 in 22 cal and when they git on my truck thats it..:gatling:

Mark #2
01-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Fired a few hundred rounds through one of these last week.
Accurate and very quiet.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0039861228163a&navCount=2&podId=0039861&parentId=cat20742&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=froogle-cat20742-cat20742&catalogCode=UH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20742&hasJS=true

Silver_2000
01-05-2008, 10:52 PM
+1

I have an old co2 or pump air rifle that they dont make any more

2 pumps to discourage 10 pumps to terminate

Great for any varmint cats, rats, squirrels whatever

Very quiet - BUT if your fence is old the projectiles will go all the way through and they make a BUNCH of noise when they hit the neighbors sheetmetal garage door

this one looks cool
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/airgundepot_1983_2877773

ZeusSVT
01-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Nice. I need to get one of these and start taking out these damn pidgeons around my place. The cars that park around here that dont have a garage look awful because the pidgeons are so bad during the day. It's annoying.

L8 APEX
01-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Here is a link to my preferred ammo. http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=0038
I would think those super air rifles were loud. I have a 22 Sheridan and it is louder than the 22 rifle.

CBs are reduced-power cartridges for low-noise pest control or practice. Both are loaded to the same velocity; the CB Long makes loading in some firearms easier.
22 Short CB part #0026
22 CB Long part #0038
Not designed to cycle semi-auto firearms.

Silver_2000
01-06-2008, 02:12 AM
Here is a link to my preferred ammo. http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=0038
I would think those super air rifles were loud. I have a 22 Sheridan and it is louder than the 22 rifle.

CBs are reduced-power cartridges for low-noise pest control or practice. Both are loaded to the same velocity; the CB Long makes loading in some firearms easier.
22 Short CB part #0026
22 CB Long part #0038

My gun makes more noise pumping it than shooting it -

gagspa
01-06-2008, 04:36 PM

22 Short CB part #0026
22 CB Long part #0038
I use the CB shorts for the rabbits in my back yard. Louder than a pellet gun, but not much. Kills the rabbits with ease.

Kyle, I wish I had known you would need a dishwasher a couple of months ago. We got a new one and ended up throwing away the old one. It was just a cheapy, but worked fine. The wife wanted one that matched better :rolleyes:

bluesvt
01-06-2008, 06:34 PM
I use the CB shorts for the rabbits in my back yard. Louder than a pellet gun, but not much. Kills the rabbits with ease.

Kyle, I wish I had known you would need a dishwasher a couple of months ago. We got a new one and ended up throwing away the old one. It was just a cheapy, but worked fine. The wife wanted one that matched better :rolleyes:

Well I talked to my realator yesterday and her friend has one thats 2 years old that I can have if I pick it up. I fixed the fridge today and Put a claim in on the oven but have not heard anything yet. Still searching a solution for the cats though that is legal.

L8 APEX
01-06-2008, 09:33 PM

I recommend CB longs because the shorts (due to the shorter case) leave a carbon deposit in the chamber that a regular 22lr will hang up on. It eats up the chamber in not so many words. Longs are better for long chambered weapons.

gagspa
01-07-2008, 09:09 AM
I recommend CB longs because the shorts (due to the shorter case) leave a carbon deposit in the chamber that a regular 22lr will hang up on. It eats up the chamber in not so many words. Longs are better for long chambered weapons.
I bought the shorts because I couldn't find the longs anywhere. Either way I'm not too concerned as I have probably only gone through 10 or so in two years.

tiffo60
01-07-2008, 09:10 AM
which ever way you go for a fence, make sure when installed that the bottom isnt touching the ground and be sure to pre-treat the wood, it will make it last 100 times longer

dboat
01-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Fired a few hundred rounds through one of these last week.
Accurate and very quiet.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0039861228163a&navCount=2&podId=0039861&parentId=cat20742&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=froogle-cat20742-cat20742&catalogCode=UH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20742&hasJS=true

I have a chipmunk problem at my house and need some advice. These critters are very small and very fast and elusive. I need something that will be very quiet yet effective on them.. I dont think it will take much to kill one, but I dont want it to sound like a gun is going off either.. lastly, can I get something that doesnt cost me a couple of hundred bucks to do this?

Thanks
Dana

Mark #2
01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
I have a chipmunk problem at my house and need some advice. These critters are very small and very fast and elusive. I need something that will be very quiet yet effective on them.. I dont think it will take much to kill one, but I dont want it to sound like a gun is going off either.. lastly, can I get something that doesnt cost me a couple of hundred bucks to do this?

Thanks
Dana
This:
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=HAV-1025
and a bucket.

Or Snap Rat traps work on chipmunks too.

dboat
01-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks Mark.. question is, if you get the live trap, what do you do with them then? I would have to carry them pretty far away to keep them from coming back.. so I might be leaning toward the rat trap.. catch em dead!!

Dana

Mark #2
01-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks Mark.. question is, if you get the live trap, what do you do with them then? I would have to carry them pretty far away to keep them from coming back.. so I might be leaning toward the rat trap.. catch em dead!!

Dana

Read my post that is what the bucket is for, put water in the bucket, put the trap in the water.

bluesvt
01-07-2008, 03:59 PM
With live traps for cats the animal control will come pick them up but there are to many and I was wondering if fox urine or something like that works.

Ohmsby
01-07-2008, 03:59 PM
I will rent out my young Lab he loooooves cats......:evil

dboat
01-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Read my post that is what the bucket is for, put water in the bucket, put the trap in the water.

Gee, you know I am not that smart... I need to have the details painted out for me... :icon_mrgreen:

but now I get it... thanks

bluesvt
01-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I will rent out my young Lab he loooooves cats......:evil

Does he kill them? I wish mine would. He chases them and almost caught on that got stuck in the fence but I don't know what he will do once he does. He had 3 just a min ago and the 3rd one he didn't see and ran over then it took off.

Ohmsby
01-07-2008, 05:44 PM
for a scoobie snack:tu:

tiffo60
01-07-2008, 05:59 PM
get terry's bug zapper and hang dangling pieces of string off of it, cats usually cant resist anything dangling and you can use your imagination on what would happen next:icon_mrgreen:

bluesvt
01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
get terry's bug zapper and hang dangling pieces of string off of it, cats usually cant resist anything dangling and you can use your imagination on what would happen next:icon_mrgreen:

Wow, that would be freaking sweet. Hey Terry!

Mark #2
01-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I think this is pretty clever.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_1050064_1050064

bluesvt
01-07-2008, 06:55 PM

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_1050064_1050064

I will get one and if it works like all the reviews say I may get another. They use the side door as their bathroom and everydoor on the house has cat piss on it.

PUMP
01-07-2008, 06:57 PM

Sprinkler should work great for cats, they hate water.

L8 APEX
01-07-2008, 08:03 PM
I have not been able to use my zapper. It is so powerful it strikes and arc and commences to melting the PVC tube. Apparently PVC is not the insulator I thought it was. It seems to be quite conductive.

PUMP
01-07-2008, 10:39 PM
I have not been able to use my zapper. It is so powerful it strikes and arc and commences to melting the PVC tube. Apparently PVC is not the insulator I thought it was. It seems to be quite conductive.
The transformer that I supplied has mega-power:evil Still it's hard to beat free.

my2002lightning
01-08-2008, 01:41 AM
Glass or porcelain pipe, etc. as an insulator? That's one solution.