PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question

dboat
12-08-2007, 07:53 AM
This question was posed on tv and I asked my wife how she would respond.

Your answer wont be shown on the thread (to protect the innocent or guilty in this case), but put some thought into it before you do.. here goes..

If you could steal $500 million and get away with it, meaning never get caught, but you had to leave the US and never return, would you do it?

Dana

Wht95Lightning
12-08-2007, 09:26 AM
That's kinda like saying you could have the hottest girl on the planet as a companion for life but she's wearing a chastity belt that can never come off. That's just wrong. :nono:

L8 APEX
12-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I would like to think I could. I would miss Texas and TALON the most. It sure would be nice to live in Europe, Canada summers. About anywhere else would have cleaner better educated citizens. America is going down the pooper.

charlie
12-08-2007, 10:05 AM
LOL 500 mil. I would move, and move any one else I like that wanted to move too. But not to worry. I don't have the nads to do something like that.

Charlie

mustgofaster
12-08-2007, 10:54 AM
I've got family out of the country & like Charlie, I'd just move everyone else that was important to me, but like Charlie, I don't have the nads, and I would have to face the big guy upstairs someday, so nope.

PUMP
12-08-2007, 11:25 AM
The logical part of me says NO, because I know that there is no such thing as a free lunch. In the end you have to face the consequences of your actions. The fuzzy thinking side of my brain says, SURE - with $500M the consequences could not be all that bad:evil I really don't know which side would win.

03LightningRocks
12-08-2007, 02:10 PM
No fricking way. With that kind of money, there is going to be some real mean sum bitches on the other end of it. You couldn't hide far enough away to keep them from getting you. Here is a better question. If someone stole 500 million dollars from you, would you hunt them down like a dog and kill them, or would you just decide to do the right thing and turn the other cheek? Maybe even send them a Christmas card every year telling them how much you miss them and your money.

03LightningRocks
12-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Oh...your answer choices don't work because a person could answer yes or no for completely different reasons than the choices offer.

mikelemoine
12-08-2007, 06:11 PM
No fricking way. With that kind of money, there is going to be some real mean sum bitches on the other end of it. You couldn't hide far enough away to keep them from getting you. Here is a better question. If someone stole 500 million dollars from you, would you hunt them down like a dog and kill them, or would you just decide to do the right thing and turn the other cheek? Maybe even send them a Christmas card every year telling them how much you miss them and your money.

+1. That's enough for soemeone to send an army after your a**!!:gatling:

tiffo60
12-08-2007, 06:35 PM
money would be cursed and no good could ever come from it

dboat
12-08-2007, 08:06 PM

I did say, Never Get Caught

dboat
12-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Oh...your answer choices don't work because a person could answer yes or no for completely different reasons than the choices offer.

I could agree to this, but for the most part, the responses posted are pretty close to what I gave as reasons to answer yes or no..

Dana

danielvalles1
12-08-2007, 09:21 PM
I cant imagine leaving Texas its been home for as long as i was born. all the money in the world would not change that.

03LightningRocks
12-09-2007, 01:02 AM

Then it's a dumb question...:tu:.

Beaudee
12-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Yes

ZeusSVT
12-09-2007, 08:09 AM

OK, Ok, I'm convinced. YES!! :evil I'll just buy a private island some where then, and have a few :gatling: protecting me, just incase some other greedy bastard tried to come and steal all the money from me.

dboat
12-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Then it's a dumb question...:tu:.

I understand your point of view, however, it has made some think the question through.. there are different issues to think about and internalize for some.

03LightningRocks
12-09-2007, 12:22 PM
I understand your point of view, however, it has made some think the question through.. there are different issues to think about and internalize for some.

Oh! Then, this was a deep, thought provoking question. Let me ask you something Dana. You smoking pot?

Here is a good one. So if you where invisible, would you hang out in the girls locker room:evil?

03LightningRocks
12-09-2007, 12:31 PM
If you could steal $500M and get away with it but have to leave the US forever

Dana

You said get away with it. "Get away with it" is very different than "not get caught". I can get away with something and be caught at the same time. The problem with "get away with it" is this may be temporary. Usually a person only thinks they "got away with something". Then later...down the road...they find out they didn't get away with it and have to face the music.

:cool:

charlie
12-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Oh!

Here is a good one. So if you where invisible, would you hang out in the girls locker room:evil?

That would be a good start. :icon_mrgreen:

Moonshine
12-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Nah, I just couldn't ever enjoy it. I've had opportuinites where I could have stolen some decent chunks of money,not anywhere near $500M, but still some decent chunks, and the odds of getting caught, or ever even having the theft reported, were very minimal. But it's just never been tempting because I know I'd feel guilty every single day.

PUMP
12-09-2007, 12:57 PM
This thread brings to mind an old joke.
A man approaches a great looking gal and asks "Would have sex with me for a million dollars."
After some deliberation, she replies - "Yes."
He then poses the question - "Will you do it for 100 dollars"
In a mortified tone, she quickly replies - "What do you think I am?"
To which he responds - "We have already established that, all we're doing now is haggling about the price":D

03LightningRocks
12-09-2007, 01:55 PM
A man approaches a great looking gal and asks "Would have sex with me for a million dollars."
To which he responds - "We have already established that, all we're doing now is haggling about the price":D

:rll:

charlie
12-09-2007, 02:33 PM

Every one has their price and conditions for anything. The only question is. Where do YOU draw the line?

Charlie

03LightningRocks
12-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Every one has their price and conditions for anything. The only question is. Where do YOU draw the line?

Charlie

Maybe the risk/reward ratio comes into play here. I like how Tiff put it. "The money would be cursed." I wouldn't want that kind of thing to follow my future generations around. It would always be known that it wasn't deserved money.

danielvalles1
12-09-2007, 06:22 PM
:rll:

dboat
12-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Oh! Then, this was a deep, thought provoking question. Let me ask you something Dana. You smoking pot?

In my younger days, yes...now, no... but that is how we change over time..

I will say that this thread is now two pages long and we have had some say yes and some say no...

to me "get away with it" means "not get caught" so we have semantic differences.. but thats ok..

I myself dont think I could do it because of what Brian said, the guilt involved with it.. even if I could tell folks I did it and I was living in Monte Carlo.. living the good life.. just dont think I could do it.. its my moral compass at work.

Dana

BC Lightning
12-10-2007, 11:31 AM
My family and I have had stuff stolen before and knowing how mad, upset, pissed off, vunerable you feel after, I couldn't do it.

:ron:
My dad co-signed for a vehicle for a cousin of mine, well after 3 months of not paying the bank called my dad looking for a payment. After taking him to court and putting a lien on his credit for 10 years, we did get some satisfaction back, but he still stole a $12,000 vehicle from my dad, we or his parents haven't heard from him since he took off after missing the 3rd months payment

Sonicblue03
12-10-2007, 12:56 PM
You might have to consider who you would be stealing it from......drug dealer or a wealthy business man......that might sway your opinion. Not all rich people are good people.

dboat
12-15-2007, 05:10 PM
A lot of folks are thinking you stole it from "someone".. what if it was a bank? or some other sort of business? what if it was gold from Ft Knox? what if it was a painting from a museum or gallery? what if it were bearer bonds from the US Treasury?

just giving everyone something to think about

Dana

jeff56
12-15-2007, 05:40 PM
It all comes down to ethics. Could I sit and ponder this question and think about how you say I wouldn't get caught, how much money it is and decide I'd do it in that hypothetical context? Most definately - because it's all hypothetical.

The reality is, however, it could be in front of me for the taking and being in the real world the thought would never cross my mind. Simply wouldn't be a consideration.

As far as the fantasy though and the part about leaving the states? Heck yeah - that would be one of the benefits. Like Terry said, this place is going down the pooper. I have visions of the French countryside or perhaps somewhere in the mountains of Spain. Of course, I've never been to those places so I'll stop there.

99WhiteBeast
12-17-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm with Ron on this. There would be someone hunting you down.

For anyone that said yes go check out the latest Coen Brothers Flick 'No Country for Old Men' - that's a bad dude

Lyfisin
12-17-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't believe I could do it.

As far as stealing is concerned, I'm not so honest, I wouldn't use company ink to write a note on company paper to get milk on the way home, because I would. I have my limit of lines I won't cross though and I couldn't say how much value something has to be to consider it stealing. It's a TON lower than 500 million though.

Ohmsby
12-17-2007, 04:49 PM
I could do it. Then I would open a midget strip club on an island and let people in for 1/2 price.

On a serious note karma is a bitch and it would hunt you down.

ZeusSVT
12-17-2007, 04:57 PM
50/50 now :beer:.......There's SOME good and SOME bad in all of us I guess.

Sonicblue03
12-17-2007, 05:54 PM
For me it still depends on who or what I would be stealing from. A terrorist organization.....drug cartel.....some a** that makes a living by stealing peoples kidneys :eek:, I would take the money and not have a second thought about it. There are a lot of people in the world that do really bad things and it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit to take their money.

tiffo60
12-17-2007, 05:56 PM
For me it still depends on who or what I would be stealing from. A terrorist organization.....drug cartel.....some a** that makes a living by stealing peoples kidneys :eek:, I would take the money and not have a second thought about it. There are a lot of people in the world that do really bad things and it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit to take their money.

yeah but its still blood money any way you slice it, there for is cursed from the get-go

Sonicblue03
12-17-2007, 05:58 PM
yeah but its still blood money any way you slice it, there for is cursed from the get-go

Now that's just silly superstition.....:evil

Mark #2
12-17-2007, 06:21 PM
karma is a bitch and it would hunt you down.

Along the same lines have you ever lied about being late or missing school/work, flat tire, dead battery, starter went bad, etc and that very thing actually happened recently after telling that story?

mustgofaster
12-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Along the same lines have you ever lied about being late or missing school/work, flat tire, dead battery, starter went bad, etc and that very thing actually happened recently after telling that story?

YES!

Mark #2
12-17-2007, 09:18 PM
YES!
That would be Karma.
Don't lie, they come back to become truth.

"I did Jessica not Romo"

Back on topic:evil
I stole her and would move out of the country.;)

danielvalles1
12-17-2007, 09:26 PM
That would be Karma.
Don't lie, they come back to become truth.

"I did Jessica not Romo"

Back on topic:evil
I stole her and would move out of the country.;)
Well wen you put it that way i change my vote to yes.:icon_mrgreen: