PDA

View Full Version : Evel Knievel has passed away - Merged

Shiner1
11-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Evil Knievel died today..That's to bad. He might have been a looney toon but that dude had some big balls to do some of the things he did. He survived some serious slobber knockers!! Gotta admire him for that.:tu:

dboat
11-30-2007, 05:32 PM
He was 69 yrs old.. the true original stuntman when it came to jumping his motorcycle.. He was greatness early on.. I thought it went a bit far when he tried the Snake River canyon.

God Bless..

Dana

usually these things happen in threes, so I wonder who the other two will be this weekend?

dboat
11-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Oh, and at least he rode a Harley for his stunts.. probably the one thing that helped keep them afloat at the time.. because back then their bikes were truly crap.

Dana

Shiner1
11-30-2007, 05:39 PM
HA Ha Dana, I posted mine first...:evil Three huh? Lets see...Brittany Spears and who ever goes hunting next with Bobby Knight... RIP Evil..

Silver_2000
11-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Merged

I have fond memories of watching him in the televised "specials"

Snake river and Ceasars and many others ...

RIP

Mark #2
11-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Merged

I have fond memories of watching him in the televised "specials"

Snake river and Ceasars and many others ...

RIP

I remember them well too.

How many of us set up ramps and jumped over wagons and stuff on our bikes imitating him back in the day?

RIP

danielvalles1
11-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Wow i remember watching TV when i was younger they would pass reruns of him doing stunts. They sure were fun to watch.

Silver_2000
11-30-2007, 07:56 PM
I remember them well too.

How many of us set up ramps and jumped over wagons and stuff on our bikes imitating him back in the day?

RIP +1
:ron: I still have metal in a finger thats right on a nerve from some of them shenanigans

We had 2 50 cc Honda minibikes in the neighborhood that were run off and into SO many things its amazing they lasted as long as they did ...

dboat
11-30-2007, 08:10 PM
+1
:ron: I still have metal in a finger thats right on a nerve from some of them shenanigans

We had 2 50 cc Honda minibikes in the neighborhood that were run off and into SO many things its amazing they lasted as long as they did ...

I had a minibike with broken footpegs from doing the same thing.. not nearly as nice as a Honda..

Dana

Mark #2
11-30-2007, 08:15 PM
[quote=Silver_2000;140371]+1
quote]

I knocked a tooth out on the handle bars back then.
Did a little more damage later jumping over stuff.

Most of you know the story;)

I think he influenced my life.

Moonshine
12-01-2007, 07:36 AM

Was just thinking about that when I read your post. :tu:

dboat
12-01-2007, 10:18 AM
I was channel surfing and they had an interview on with Evel and Bill O'Reilly.. Evel said he made $20M doing the Snake River jump..

He also said that he had made $300M in one year due to all the toys sales and such.. :eek: who'd a thunk it?

Dana

PUMP
12-01-2007, 12:22 PM
He did the Caesars fountain jump in '67 and was in a coma for a month from it and didn't die until 40 years later. I am 1 year younger than he was. There is no way that i would still be alive if I had done the same things. Kudos to a guy who really marched to a different drummer.:bows

99WhiteBeast
12-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I was channel surfing and they had an interview on with Evel and Bill O'Reilly.. Evel said he made $20M doing the Snake River jump..

He also said that he had made $300M in one year due to all the toys sales and such.. :eek: who'd a thunk it?

Dana

I remember the little wind up EK stunt bike toy that would wheelie out of the starter block and haul some ass. We set up ramps to try and jump creeks with that thing.

dboat
12-01-2007, 08:24 PM
I remember the little wind up EK stunt bike toy that would wheelie out of the starter block and haul some ass. We set up ramps to try and jump creeks with that thing.

apparently, you werent the only one.. they must have sold a XXXtload of those things...

Dana

my2002lightning
12-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Sad to see Evel pass-on. I watched him many times on TV as a youngster, as well. Around 3-4 yo. I had the idea to turn my Big-Wheel on it's side and ride it like a merry-go-round. :icon_confused: Broke my right arm then and again at 15 on a BMX-bike. I write left-handed to this day as a result.

All the BMX home-made dirt and lumber ramps were a blast as a kid! It's a wonder Regan and I didn't seriously hurt ourselves later on with his Yamaha Warrior in the nearby sand-pits.:tex

RIP Evel.

Mark #2
12-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Knievel "toughened up a generation of kids made soft by too much Brady Bunch"

dboat
12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Mark, I agree, but no one out there to do it for Gen X or Gen Y, eh?

Dana

Mark #2
12-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Mark, I agree, but no one out there to do it for Gen X or Gen Y, eh?

Dana
Sure there is, saw him doing the back flip Caesar's palace jump on ESPNC over the weekend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Metzger

TP Derrick D
12-03-2007, 01:51 PM
I remember Evel well also watching him jump on Wide World of Sports. When he tried the Snake River they were showing it from above before the jump. I was 14 and at that time I thought he was going to try it on his motorcycle I was like he's not going to make that, until I found out it was rocket powered. But like many others I had a few bumps,scrapes & sprains from trying to jump my bicycle over whatever the challenge was(soda cans,bricks) using bricks & cinder blocks with planks proped up on them as ramps. Everytime I see that commerical on TV about these boys on their bike saying "no one ever jumped 5 bricks,there's a rumor of 4 bricks & a piece of wood" I think about me doing that same thing.

REXRENEGADE
12-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Anybody that attempts to Jump anything on A Harley XR-750 from that time period either has Balls as big as church bells or needs to lay off the sauce. Those bikes weighed a ton.
:eek2:

danielvalles1
12-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Anybody that attempts to Jump anything on A Harley XR-750 from that time period either has Balls as big as church bells or needs to lay of the sauce. Those bikes weighed a ton.
:eek2:
:rll: