PDA

View Full Version : HID lamp kit

RSVT
11-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Where can i get some HID lamp kits at for the headlights and foglights used or new i jus want some? Any idea anyone?:tu: Thanks

Mika
11-16-2007, 08:14 PM
I got a set from mydepots.com. They are actually in China. Ordered it, installed it, and love it. Set me back $125 to my door. Only negative so far was that it took 2 weeks to deliver it(halfway across the world). People ask me if my car came with HID's and I said no, and they're pretty surprised.

Mika

tiffo60
11-17-2007, 01:50 AM
one of the mustang sites sells the head and fog kits for around 250 each, i dont recall which it is but im sure smeone will chime in

L8 APEX
11-17-2007, 02:04 AM
What are they doing for high beams? Since our headlamps are single bulb dual filament. HID's are single filament.

Chris94L
11-17-2007, 10:06 AM
What are they doing for high beams? Since our headlamps are single bulb dual filament. HID's are single filament.
HID are no filament :d

PoorSvtman
11-17-2007, 12:52 PM
hope those 250$ kits are coming with a harness to.. i wouldnt run a hid kit with out a relay/fuse harness and connected to the battery.

I have a high/low hid kit on my daily. Cost me an arm and a leg but its worth it

03LightningRocks
11-17-2007, 03:13 PM
So what would be the advantage to going with HID lights?

PoorSvtman
11-17-2007, 04:40 PM
hid are just brighter.. and more clear. I wouldnt go anyhigher than 8000k tho. After that your just getting more blue or purple color and alot less useable light

most cars like bmw, benz, etc are about 4000k to 5000k and are a pure white to a light blue tint....

I miss my 6000k i had on my lightning. now i got a free set of bulbs from a friend and have 12000k on my lowrider. they are bright but i can only see about 3 white stripes ahead of me going down the highway alone. Bout to change those tho lol. The higher the K the less useable light you get...

Look at this ebay listing... it has good pics of what different K ratings you can get and what they look like.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-9005-9006-9007-HID-XENON-CONVERSION-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQihZ015QQitem Z250187945999QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If anyone gets a ebay kit make sure it comes with a wire harness with relays, fuses, that connect straight to the battery. the harness also has a plug that will plug into the factory plug to use so you can still use your factory headlight switch with out having to cut or tap any wires... I have installed a bunch of hid kits at friends shop..

Chris94L
11-17-2007, 04:55 PM
I must resist going on about how HID "kits" suck.

PoorSvtman
11-17-2007, 05:03 PM
the pure blue and purple ones do suck... but if you go with the lower 4-6k kits and aim them correctly you wont blind other people and will love the extra light.

Chris94L
11-17-2007, 05:19 PM
the pure blue and purple ones do suck... but if you go with the lower 4-6k kits and aim them correctly you wont blind other people and will love the extra light.
:Bullshit

PoorSvtman
11-17-2007, 05:22 PM
to each there own..... but its true.

Mika
11-17-2007, 07:13 PM
For HID's to work properly, they should be inside a headlight assembly that's designed for HID's(usually projector-style assemblies). I had a set of HID's on the Lightining, and it blinded people(glare everywhere). If you can find a headlight assembly that'll work for HID's, go for it. Stock housing isn't good though.

The best lighting range is in the 4300k to 4500k range. It's the purest(whitest). Any higher temperature and you're starting to look at blue/purple. Which is great if you're a ricer, but it doesn't help you out with seeing further.

Mika

L8 APEX
11-17-2007, 08:16 PM
If the reflector isn't designed for that element it won't work any better than stock. I spoke with a tech at Sylvania and they said they moved the element in their Silverstars about a 1/4 in forward in the H13's. It was supposed to give a better beam pattern in the same fixture than a OE bulb. That is why I wanted the Zenarc kit for the L. The reflector was designed for the HID lamp. Since HID's take time to warm up they don't make for good flashing to pass etc..

dboat
11-18-2007, 09:31 AM
I am now more confused than ever.. I just run Silverstars and they seem to work pretty good.. how much is the real difference between SS and HID's?

BC Lightning
11-19-2007, 09:54 AM
That is why I wanted the Xenon kit for the L. The reflector was designed for the HID lamp. Since HID's take time to warm up they don't make for good flashing to pass etc..

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/Xenon-HID-Lights-Kits.htm

L8 APEX
11-19-2007, 10:30 AM
That is an expensive kit and it is only bulbs no housings. It does not have the 9007 bulb listed but I did see a bi beam kit . Also says off road only not street legal.
Still show a f150 kit
http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/Headlights-x2010.htm

GoldLS1
11-19-2007, 10:40 AM
stangmods.com has some. If you want bright white get 4k, if ya want the bmw/lexus look go 6k, if ya want blue go 8k, if ya want uncle bens go 10k+. No Lightning HID kit is street legal, Xenarcs were but were discontinued b/cuz they weren't self leveling. I don't believe anyone makes a low/high beam either like the Xenarcs were.

wesman
11-20-2007, 01:32 AM
I got the complete replacement HID's with the new projection cases, they work great.

I agree that some HID kits suck if you just get bulbs and ballasts, the HID'S I got for the Viper suck ass. They use the stock housing and I must say that unless they're aimed wrong, they suck way worse than the stock setup.

--wes

ZeusSVT
11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I got the complete replacement HID's with the new projection cases, they work great.

I agree that some HID kits suck if you just get bulbs and ballasts, the HID'S I got for the Viper suck ass. They use the stock housing and I must say that unless they're aimed wrong, they suck way worse than the stock setup.

--wes

Hey Wes, where did you get yours at and what "K" did you get them in?

BC Lightning
11-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Hey Wes, where did you get yours at and what "K" did you get them in?

IIRC he got his from a guy off NLOC, they have since been discontinued and I have searched the internet for months, nobody has them

ZeusSVT
11-20-2007, 06:21 PM
IIRC he got his from a guy off NLOC, they have since been discontinued and I have searched the internet for months, nobody has them

Shiiiiitty. Yeah I been looking around for the complete kits but have had no luck either. I just don't wanna go with the half_ass crap.

PoorSvtman
11-20-2007, 09:11 PM
stangmods.com has some. If you want bright white get 4k, if ya want the bmw/lexus look go 6k, if ya want blue go 8k, if ya want uncle bens go 10k+. No Lightning HID kit is street legal, Xenarcs were but were discontinued b/cuz they weren't self leveling. I don't believe anyone makes a low/high beam either like the Xenarcs were.

i had high/ lows on my lightning with the so called half arse kits........:rolleyes:

granted they arent gunna be as good as a real lense designed for hids, but they do work better than stock.... I have hids, in my daily and project truck.
Im about to retro fit some bmw projectors into the project trucks stock housing tho.

BC Lightning
11-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I have hids, in my daily and project truck.
Im about to retro fit some bmw projectors into the project trucks stock housing tho.

Like these

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/halogrinder1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/halogrinder2.jpg

wesman
11-20-2007, 11:36 PM

Good memory BIC, you are right on.

I saw another set a while back for sale, but they are very hard to come by.

--wes

PoorSvtman
11-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Yea pretty much the same. But just in different housings. Its alot of work. I help a friend do some to his prelude. But he used S2000 projectors.

I honestly am gunna use bmw, lexus,etc what ever i can find the best deal on as they arent cheep