PDA

View Full Version : annoyances

98Cobra
11-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Anyone know how to tighten up the steering on this thing? It seriously has like 4-5" of play. Its almost dangerous.

Also, I have noticed that when I am coming to a stop, sometimes it will "kick down" kind of hard when I am allllmosssst stopped. Like, 2mph. Ideas? Is this a sign of a coming trans rebuild?

Thanks guys!

L8 APEX
11-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Are your radius arm busings good? My slack was in the gear box and nobody ever went to the cost of replacing it. You can also check the rest of the front end for slack like the pitman arm, idler arm etc. Just crawl under the front end while someone shakes the wheel back and fourth and see where the play it at. I bet most will be in the steering box. Also remember the canvas connector in the column.

Chris94L
11-14-2007, 04:04 PM
My slack was in the gear box and nobody ever went to the cost of replacing it.

Still haven't :rolleyes:

At least it doesn't stick anymore

Flats Man
11-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Most likely you can take up a lot of the slack by loosening the lock nut on the steering box and I believe a clockwise turn to tighten. Caution, do not over tighten the adjusting screw.:D

99WhiteBeast
11-14-2007, 08:19 PM
+1 on steering box. I've done the over-tighten thing and it was damn scary when you turn and it won't come back to the center.