PDA

View Full Version : Universal remote

Silver_2000
10-30-2007, 08:35 PM
I have heard about and lusted after a Harmony remote for years - Ever since I added an amp for 5.1 channel surround. Ex wife couldnt stand having to turn 3 or 4 things on and adjust inputs

BUT No way was I paying $200 or more for a remote

I bought the $100 520 version on a whim a few weeks ago

Its rocks

All the harmonies use the same software the ONLY difference is the physical remote. No entering codes for devices - you pick the device from a list by model number - the software KNOWS exactly what your device does and what it expects

If your SO ever complained about too many remotes or too difficult to turn everything on and get all the inputs right you need a harmony

It doesnt have EVERY physical button of every remote BUT it can have soft versions of every button and can be customized to do ANYTHING in any order with any delay

Its what a smart remote should be
If something doesnt work - hit help - it will fix the issue or walk you thru smart options

finally its a learning remote, worst case use the old remote to teach the new one

Doug

gagspa
10-30-2007, 08:49 PM
I know exactly how you feel. All of my equipment seems to be different brands and I could never find a remote that would do it all. Then I found a site talking about a Radio Shack $30 8 channel remote. I decided to try it before dropping the $100. What do you know, it works perfectly with ALL my stuff! Like your remote, you can "learn" features, program buttons, add macros, and customize it however you want. Now I wonder what took me so long!

The only thing that sucks about my remote is that it is capable of tons of things, but the instructions suck so it takes some work learning how to use it.

Silver_2000
10-30-2007, 08:54 PM
I know exactly how you feel. All of my equipment seems to be different brands and I could never find a remote that would do it all. Then I found a site talking about a Radio Shack $30 8 channel remote. I decided to try it before dropping the $100. What do you know, it works perfectly with ALL my stuff! Like your remote, you can "learn" features, program buttons, add macros, and customize it however you want. Now I wonder what took me so long!

The only thing that sucks about my remote is that it is capable of tons of things, but the instructions suck so it takes some work learning how to use it.

Ive had the various universals in the past - no comparison

I push a button called watch DVD it turns everything on for DVD
I push a different button for play Xbox - it switches everything to the XBOX

charlie
10-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Hummm. Not much of an issue in my house. 1 TV. one remote (in my hand):D No cable, no VCR, no DVD player. Just the TV and Play station. And 3 computers.

Charlie

Mark #2
10-30-2007, 09:20 PM
I have one remote for the cable box and actually push the ON/OFF button for the TV.
I took the vice grips off the channel changer since getting cable.:evil

SILVER2000SVT
10-30-2007, 09:25 PM
I have one of these, and it's great. You can get all your remotes setup to the one in just a few minutes and it walks you through it. I have since spent several hours tweaking the "soft" buttons to show just what I want and have them in the order of my preference. I have also set it up to where the devices don't turn off when you change function. For example I want to continue watching the game on TV but I want to listen to the radio, the default is to turn off the tv.

I have found a few buttons wrong (very few) for certain commands, but it's easy to teach the software the correct codes using your old remote.

My wife is so impressed with it shes bragging to people shes knows how great it is and easy to use. It sure beats the existing 7 remotes I used to have. It turns on the appropriate components for a given activity and sets the inputs to each of them all in one command.

Silver_2000
10-30-2007, 09:26 PM
DO some of you have electricity ?:evil

Vice grips are a nice touch

Sandman
10-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Bought a 767 at sams for I think $85 about 6 months ago. Works great, but it does eat batteries. I turned the backlight duration down to try and help with that.

03LightningRocks
10-31-2007, 12:39 AM
Hummm. Not much of an issue in my house. 1 TV. one remote (in my hand):D No cable, no VCR, no DVD player. Just the TV and Play station. And 3 computers.

Charlie

What the hell Charlie? Are you communist? No cable????:eek::eek::eek: Good lord man, do you have indoor plumbing yet? :D

L8 APEX
10-31-2007, 12:43 AM
I only get 3 channels, 4 if I want to hold the antenna... I thought Sony made a super remote?

03LightningRocks
10-31-2007, 12:46 AM
No sh!t guys, I have six...yep SIX different remotes. It is ridiculous. The damn things take up half the coffee table.

I have tried some of the remotes that are suppose to control everything, but there is always some function that won't work somewhere. I may have to check into the one Doug is talking about. I wonder if it will work with a Bose surround sound system. I have yet to find a remote that would recognize this Bose system. It is about 8 years old. It is a lifestyle 12 series 2 system. It was considered the stuff when I bought it.

ZeusSVT
10-31-2007, 01:02 AM
No sh!t guys, I have six...yep SIX different remotes. It is ridiculous. The damn things take up half the coffee table.

I have tried some of the remotes that are suppose to control everything, but there is always some function that won't work somewhere. I may have to check into the one Doug is talking about. I wonder if it will work with a Bose surround sound system. I have yet to find a remote that would recognize this Bose system. It is about 8 years old. It is a lifestyle 12 series 2 system. It was considered the stuff when I bought it.

:rll::rll: Sounds just like the same problem that I have at home as well.....Here's the majority of mine,

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/dmsheid/DSC06192Small.jpg

I still think there is another one or two floating around here some where. I have been wanting to look into the universals but have just never thought about it when sitting in front of the computer to see which ones have the best reviews. Might have to do that tonight while its fresh on my mind.:evil

danielvalles1
10-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Thats a but load a money you guys have in remotes there i only have one its cheap as hell but it works good ,well i have to hit it sometimes to get it to work but its good:icon_biggrin:

03LightningRocks
10-31-2007, 01:18 AM
Crap Michael, for a minute there I thought you had broke into my house and taken a picture of my coffee table...:rll:.

You should see what happens when my mom comes to visit. By the time she gets done punching every button on each remote three or four times over, I have to spend three days trying to figure out how to get everything adjusted again. It can be confusing as hell to everyone but me...LMAO.

ZeusSVT
10-31-2007, 01:22 AM
Crap Michael, for a minute there I thought you had broke into my house and taken a picture of my coffee table...:rll:.

You should see what happens when my mom comes to visit. By the time she gets done punching every button on each remote three or four times over, I have to spend three days trying to figure out how to get everything adjusted again. It can be confusing as hell to everyone but me...LMAO.

Rocks, I have that problem every damn day that I come home from work and my other half has been in the living room. :rll::rll:

dboat
10-31-2007, 05:46 AM
Doug,

my limiting factor has been my Bang and Olufsen stereo.. would you check to see if it will support it?

Dana

Silver_2000
10-31-2007, 07:30 AM
Doug,

my limiting factor has been my Bang and Olufsen stereo.. would you check to see if it will support it?

Dana

you can play with the software in advance of buying the remote go to

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/&cl=us,en

or get software here
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/440/3742&cl=us,en

you will need to create and account but you can walk thru the process of setting up all your stuff in advance

DOnt forget that its also a learning remote if need be

in order to setup anything you will need exact model numbers

gagspa
10-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Ive had the various universals in the past - no comparison

I push a button called watch DVD it turns everything on for DVD
I push a different button for play Xbox - it switches everything to the XBOX
This one can do that with the Macro Buttons, but there are only three. :( I M1 programmed to change the input of the TV to Input 3, Change the Audio input to DVD, and turn on the DVD player. It does all that with the push of a button.

Silver_2000
10-31-2007, 08:02 AM
I only get 3 channels, 4 if I want to hold the antenna... I thought Sony made a super remote?

they do

http://www.remotecentral.com/vl900/index.html

I have one its not the same - way too complicated to program and doesnt do anything close

dboat
10-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks Doug, I am on the road but will check in when I get back home..

Dana

charlie
10-31-2007, 05:07 PM
What the hell Charlie? Are you communist? No cable????:eek::eek::eek: Good lord man, do you have indoor plumbing yet? :D

Between the kiddo and the truck, there is no spare money left! Besides, I spend more time on the computer and the garage than I do in front of the TV.

Charlie

G'Lightning
10-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Between the kiddo and the truck, there is no spare money left! Besides, I spend more time on the computer and the garage than I do in front of the TV.

Charlie Damn that sounds like me:eek:.. I do have cable although ,i make the wife pay it. Though i do find TV very educational every time someone turns it on i go in the other room and read a book.

03LightningRocks
10-31-2007, 10:41 PM

Charlie

I hope you know I was just teasing with you. I have cable right now, but every time I decide to cut expenses, cable is the first thing I shut off. Definitely not a necessity for me either.:beer:

L8 APEX
10-31-2007, 11:24 PM
It's not the Sony I was thinking of. It had a blank LCD screen that you loaded icons and such on and it was backlit in indigo style.

charlie
10-31-2007, 11:42 PM
I hope you know I was just teasing with you. I have cable right now, but every time I decide to cut expenses, cable is the first thing I shut off. Definitely not a necessity for me either.:beer:

Yeah I know... I was expecting a stone age comment. Ya disappointed me. :cool:

Silver_2000
11-01-2007, 06:21 AM
It's not the Sony I was thinking of. It had a blank LCD screen that you loaded icons and such on and it was backlit in indigo style.
yeah there are a few like this

http://www.remotecentral.com/wn000095.jpg

msrp $200

they have the same software as the one I posted earlier - but who wants something coffee table size to change channels ?

03LightningRocks
11-06-2007, 02:33 AM
I couldn't take it anymore. Ever since reading this post, I get pissed off when I look at the pile of remotes on my coffee table. I have to hit three different remotes to turn off the TV,surround and cable box. Enough of the BS for me. I just ordered the 880. Found it for 158 bucks...shipped. I should have it in three days.

Thanks Doug:gatling:. I needed something else to blow money on:rolleyes:.

dboat
11-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Ok, I am intrigued, so I went out there and downloaded the Logitech software, registered, and then went to do the install.. Well, since I dont have a device, I am stalled in the water.. dang it.. I didnt see the 520 on the website either.. was it another 5xx model? anyway, I needs to know if the Bang and Olufsen will work with it.. even it if doesnt (and I am betting that it wont, its odd stuff) that I may go with this anyway just to eliminate the clutter down to two remotes..

Dana

L8 APEX
11-06-2007, 09:20 AM
The one I saw was a Marantz I think.

Silver_2000
11-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Ok, I am intrigued, so I went out there and downloaded the Logitech software, registered, and then went to do the install.. Well, since I dont have a device, I am stalled in the water.. dang it.. I didnt see the 520 on the website either.. was it another 5xx model? anyway, I needs to know if the Bang and Olufsen will work with it.. even it if doesnt (and I am betting that it wont, its odd stuff) that I may go with this anyway just to eliminate the clutter down to two remotes..

Dana
I was able to simulate with no device
check the FAQ on the logitech site to see how

03LightningRocks
11-06-2007, 09:30 AM

Dana

Admit it Dana. You want to be just like me:cool:. I buy Crown C16 from a web sight....you buy Crown C16 from a web sight. I buy a remote...you buy a remote.

:icon_eek:

By the way...the info I found on the 520 says that it is the low end Walmart model. I think it is discontinued. Which ever model you choose, put the Model number and name in a Google search and you will find a big difference in prices. The one I just bought was almost 100 dollars more on the sight Doug posted a link to. I know Doug didn't post the link as a rec. on where to buy, but I thought it might be a good idea to point this out to you...:eek:.

Feel the luv...Dana:d.

dboat
11-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Admit it Dana. You want to be just like me:cool:. I buy Crown C16 from a web sight....you buy Crown C16 from a web sight. I buy a remote...you buy a remote.

:icon_eek:

By the way...the info I found on the 520 says that it is the low end Walmart model. I think it is discontinued. Which ever model you choose, put the Model number and name in a Google search and you will find a big difference in prices. The one I just bought was almost 100 dollars more on the sight Doug posted a link to. I know Doug didn't post the link as a rec. on where to buy, but I thought it might be a good idea to point this out to you...:eek:.

Feel the luv...Dana:d.

Rocks baby, I am feeeeellllling the love right now!! :rll:

I did buy my Crown16 locally though.. I told you this town can really drink everywhere else I have lived under the table... I havent bought the remote yet, but I was buying it to emulate Doug and not you:evil
But here is one for you.. you be wanting to have the wife that digs motorsports and travels to events like mine does... :tu:

Dana

03LightningRocks
11-06-2007, 11:48 AM
But here is one for you.. you be wanting to have the wife that digs motorsports and travels to events like mine does... :tu:

Dana

LOL...being single, I can have the wife that does all that. Then I send her back home to the husband who has to pay all her bills....:rll:.

ZeusSVT
11-06-2007, 11:51 AM
You guys are killing me. I have like three guys leaning over my shoulder at work wondering what the hell I am laughing at. :rll::rll::rll:

dboat
11-06-2007, 01:07 PM
LOL...being single, I can have the wife that does all that. Then I send her back home to the husband who has to pay all her bills....:rll:.

thankfully, you arent talking about mine but rather that time you and :ron: wife hooked up.. :evil

Dana

besides my wife drank you under the table that night... :tu:

03LightningRocks
11-06-2007, 01:33 PM
thankfully, you arent talking about mine but rather that time you and :ron: wife hooked up..

OK...you win:eek:. I think I just puked in my mouth:vomit:.

L8 APEX
11-06-2007, 02:35 PM
OH snap! Dana dropped the great white Yeti card on you, ROcks=OWNED!:rll:

dboat
11-06-2007, 04:01 PM
OK...you win:eek:. I think I just puked in my mouth:vomit:.

:rll::rll: I almost just wet myself.... :rll:

Dana

03LightningRocks
11-06-2007, 04:09 PM
OH snap! Dana dropped the great white Yeti card on you, ROcks=OWNED!:rll:

Oh sh!t....stop now...I be hurting big time...Damn you...damn you all to hell...:rll::rll::rll:.

THE GREAT WHITE YETI CARD!!!!!!!!!! :rll::rll::rll:

We need a smiley for that...:evil.

03LightningRocks
11-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Received my new Harmony remote. Doug is right. This thing rocks. The only item it won't control is my Bose Surround, but now I finally know why. The bose is radio frequency controlled and IR controllers won't work with it. I have had this system for 7 years and just learned that...thanks to the Harmony. The damn thing is so good, it even learned me something...:D.

Thanks for the heads up on this one. It was a pleasure to put all those remotes in a drawer. Now I have to figure out what to do with the 25 or so double A batteries I no longer need.

dboat
11-09-2007, 06:05 AM
Received my new Harmony remote. Doug is right. This thing rocks. The only item it won't control is my Bose Surround, but now I finally know why. The bose is radio frequency controlled and IR controllers won't work with it. I have had this system for 7 years and just learned that...thanks to the Harmony. The damn thing is so good, it even learned me something...:D.

Thanks for the heads up on this one. It was a pleasure to put all those remotes in a drawer. Now I have to figure out what to do with the 25 or so double A batteries I no longer need.

Rocks, drop me a link as to where you got it..

Thanks

SILVER2000SVT
11-09-2007, 07:19 AM

FYI...The upper end models of the Harmony remote control RF in addition to IR.

tiffo60
11-09-2007, 09:09 AM
my mom just got this one, its the easiest remote i have ever operated:icon_mrgreen:

http://www.logitech.com/repository/142/jpg/789.1.0.jpg

03LightningRocks
11-09-2007, 12:55 PM
FYI...The upper end models of the Harmony remote control RF in addition to IR.

That sucks to know.:( I bought the Harmony 880. I am afraid to look, but with my luck the next model up probably would have been RF. I already opened this one and threw out the packaging....they aren't going to want to trade me out.

Oh Snap...Idea!!!!!!! Dana...buy mine so I can get the next model up. I'll only mark it up 10% since we are friends.

BC Lightning
11-09-2007, 01:14 PM
my mom just got this one, its the easiest remote i have ever operated:icon_mrgreen:

have the same one in the Theater room

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/MichaelBic38/IMG_0393.jpg

dboat
11-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Oh Snap...Idea!!!!!!! Dana...buy mine so I can get the next model up. I'll only mark it up 10% since we are friends.

Gee, I would do that except I am not LS1Gold.... :evil

Dana

hey, what about that link?

03LightningRocks
11-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Gee, I would do that except I am not LS1Gold.... :evil

Dana

hey, what about that link?

The link? Oh yeah...the link. Tell ya what. I'll sell you the link for 180 bucks and I will throw in a slightly used Harmony 880 for free.

I take Pay Pal:cool:.

dboat
11-09-2007, 03:33 PM
The link? Oh yeah...the link. Tell ya what. I'll sell you the link for 180 bucks and I will throw in a slightly used Harmony 880 for free.

I take Pay Pal:cool:.

:tex.. nevermind..

Dana

03LightningRocks
11-09-2007, 03:41 PM
http://www.pcnation.com/web/filtersearch.asp?url=&searchtext=Harmony+Remotes

dboat
11-09-2007, 04:13 PM
http://www.pcnation.com/web/filtersearch.asp?url=&searchtext=Harmony+Remotes

Dana

03LightningRocks
11-09-2007, 04:30 PM

Dana

Get the 880...I know a place you can get a really good deal:icon_mrgreen:.

Silver_2000
11-09-2007, 06:37 PM

thats $450 :eek::eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=L10862&GEN0=Y

dboat
11-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Get the 880...I know a place you can get a really good deal:icon_mrgreen:.

I heard about this place but they want an absurd, marked up price for it..

Dana

dboat
11-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Rocks, dont feel so bad.. the next model up costs 329 dollars at that site you sent me too.. that 130 bucks more..

Dana

BC Lightning
11-09-2007, 06:57 PM
thats $450 :eek::eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=L10862&GEN0=Y

:hammer::hammer: its come down in price from when I bought it

dboat
11-09-2007, 07:28 PM

I have now found it even cheaper.. so I just might have to pull that trigger.

03LightningRocks
11-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Rocks, dont feel so bad.. the next model up costs 329 dollars at that site you sent me too.. that 130 bucks more..

Dana

So..are you buying from my competitor?:(

dboat
11-09-2007, 07:56 PM
So..are you buying from my competitor?:(

could be... I havent seen a legit offer from you yet... gimme a decent price and we could talk.. :twitch:

Dana

03LightningRocks
11-09-2007, 08:00 PM
could be... I havent seen a legit offer from you yet... gimme a decent price and we could talk.. :twitch:

Dana

I thought 180 plus shipping was good. Think about the support I give. It's all about the service after the sell. You know I will always be around...who knows if that internet whore sight will even exist in a few months.:evil

dboat
11-10-2007, 09:17 AM
I thought 180 plus shipping was good. Think about the support I give. It's all about the service after the sell. You know I will always be around...who knows if that internet whore sight will even exist in a few months.:evil

yes, that is true... just wondering how much man juice is on it by now...:evil

Dana

03LightningRocks
11-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't know what you do with your remotes...and don't believe I want to know, but my remotes stay nice and clean:cool:.

I'll probably just hang on to this one. The next one up is a dramatic price increase and about all I gain is the possible use of it for my Bose surround system. Not really worth it for the extra 100 bucks and the pain in the ass of shipping this one to you. I have been wanting to upgrade to better surround sound for awhile anyway. This might just give me the excuse I needed.

tiffo60
11-12-2007, 08:56 AM

yup we paid 499 for ours