PDA

View Full Version : Time to change

Moonshine
09-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Well, I've had too many stories about 6.0 liters crapping out prematurely, so I've decided to switch vehicles. I almost never need the towing/hauling capabilities of a diesel, so there were two big reasons I went to a diesel. 1. Lower fuel costs, as diesel was 20-30 cents less per gallon than gas when I made the decision to buy a diesel. Obviously, that hasn't proved to be the case, as gas has routinely been 20+ cents per gallon cheaper than diesel ever since I placed my order. Reason #2 was the durability/longevity of the diesel, with an anticipated 400k mile service life. The reality appears to be an 80k se4rvice life, followed by major engine work. So, it appears it's time for me to make a change.

At present, I'm not interested in increasing my loan amount or term, so I'm considering either a new Toyota Tacoma, or a slightly used 2005-2006 Tundra. The new Tundra's are really nice, but they are at least $10k more. I can get a new Tacoma or a nearly new Tundra for the same price, and the capabilities/capacities/milesage are virtually identical on both. I didn't think I'd be interested in something as small as the Tacoma, but I drove one and they're really fairly roomy inside. Opinions?

Mark #2
09-25-2007, 06:32 PM
The Tundra's are huge, I would go Tacoma. I have looked at them too.

SILVER2000SVT
09-25-2007, 06:40 PM
I almost bought a tacoma but after I did the math it was only just a little more to get a new Tundra. They still have some major discounts on the Tundra compared to pretty much sticker price on a Tacoma.

With my new Tundra with the 5.7L I'm getting 15-16mpg in hard stoplight traffic and between 18-19mpg hwy at 80mph. Noone can really answer the reliability on the new Tundras yet, but after 3 months I have been very pleased.

Moonshine
09-25-2007, 06:48 PM
I almost bought a tacoma but after I did the math it was only just a little more to get a new Tundra.

Can you provide some more details on how you worked the math, because it's not coming out that way for me. I can get a new car APR of 4.9% on a Tacoma, and they're offering 0% on Tundras. But, I can get a nicely optioned Tacoma for $25k, and a comparably equipped Tundra is at least $10k more. I'd go double cab, V6, 6speed on a Taco, and double cab, 5.7 on the Tundra, 4WD on either. Tow ratings, carrying capacity, and mileage are all just whiskers apart. The only real difference I see is in bed space, and the Taco is pretty small.

L8 APEX
09-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Tacoma is too small you can't fit and ATV or riding mower in the back. I don't know about the old Tundra's I don't think I like them. I would either get a new Tundra or GM truck. GM trucks are getting good mileage and the rebates and financing can't be beat. The F150's had a great promo with 66 months at 0% and 1000 cash rebate. I would probably get a GMC Sierra if I were in the market. I hate the fact diesel is more expensive than gas. Of course pulling Rocks' 32' house this weekend it sure was nice to have a diesel. We got over 10mpg rolling hard. It comes out to be cheaper for me to keep mine at this point.

SILVER2000SVT
09-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Can you provide some more details on how you worked the math, because it's not coming out that way for me. I can get a new car APR of 4.9% on a Tacoma, and they're offering 0% on Tundras. But, I can get a nicely optioned Tacoma for $25k, and a comparably equipped Tundra is at least $10k more. I'd go double cab, V6, 6speed on a Taco, and double cab, 5.7 on the Tundra, 4WD on either. Tow ratings, carrying capacity, and mileage are all just whiskers apart. The only real difference I see is in bed space, and the Taco is pretty small.

Comparing 2wds (really rough calculations):
Tacoma V6 prerunner SR5 25K-28K (MSRP) + tax + interest (3,600) = $32K

Tundra 5.7 DC SR5 30k-32K (MSRP) - 10% (rough invoice) + tax +0% = $31K

The 4x4 tacomas go for as much as 32K and don't even offer leather.

The tundras have a lot more available options so you do see a lot of high sticker prices. Just look at the regular SR5 packages to keep the price down.

What really sold me on the Tundra were the safety features like the stability and traction control and air bags all around for both front and rear passengers all come standard.

Tow rating on the tacoma DC is 3500 lbs compared to 10,400 on the Tundra 5.7L, that's hardly a whisker apart?

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13870

L8 APEX
09-25-2007, 08:21 PM
The GM door panels are hastily molded plastic and the xcab doors shut like butt. The Tundra has a nice door close. GM is rumored to install a 6spd auto in the 08 or 09 half tons. I would hold out for that.
http://cache.jalopnik.com/cars/assets/resources/2006/08/2007_GMC_Sierra_SLE_Ext_Cab_TOP.jpg
http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncategorized/sierrasltinterior2.jpg
http://www.bilerico.com/2007/04/2007%20GMC%2004%205x4-thumb.JPG

jeff56
09-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I've had my 06 Taco for about 15-16 months now and it's a great vehicle - no complaints whatsoever. Depending on your needs, which are probably different considering you've got some property, your only concern would be bed size. For me, it carries my bikes and that's generally it. I'd have to check my paperwork too, as I've forgotten now, but I sure didn't pay any 32 out the door. Go through the internet manager at Toyota of Fort Worth - you won't find a better deal. I bought mine all through e-mail and he gave me a price lower than what I was aiming for right out of the gates. Easiest car purchase I've ever had. I got the off-road package. I'll try to dig up my paperwork if you want some more info on my pricing and the name of the guy I bought mine from. We're having several of our floors redone right now and my desk is crammed into our living room along with all of my other office furniture.

It'd be a big departure for you, as it was me, but that's what I've liked about it. It's a good, reliable vehicle - has everything I need, but not so much that I have to worry over it, etc. Drive it, enjoy it and forget it. I'll probably keep it until it dies on me, which should be a decade or two.

L8 APEX
09-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Don't listen to him B! Jeff is a follower and has low aspirations in life! Real men blow soot clouds on the weak in their ill proportioned vehicles.:evil

diablolightning
09-26-2007, 10:34 PM
My friend baught an 07 1500 crew sierra for @27k it is nice. He got a discount as i did when we baught the 06 f150 SCrew @24k w/ d plan but as far as I can tell with 44k miles on the 06 and 17k with his 07 the ford is nicer. His A/C vents make alot of noise unless pointed in a certain inconvinient direction.the f150 rides alot smother and tows alot smother. His int. raddles quite a bit as the f150 is still quiet. I have driven his and the f150 feels more planted and stable with alot less flex over bumps and rough roads. Overall they are both nice trucks and i wouldn't mind having either, but his truck does get a little better gas milage @16-20 mixed to our f150 15-19 mixed. Like I said i like both and have worked on both, was a tech at a Ford house and then for GM. But as far as personal prefrence I like the Ford.
The TOYs look kinda nice but doen't think I could buy one. They build quality cars and small trucks but I think I'm gonna wait to see what the bigger trucks do as far as wear and tear and ofcourse reliability.:beer:

L8 APEX
09-26-2007, 10:40 PM
A mesican preferring a Ford who could imagine that:icon_eek:

Moonshine
09-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, I did it.

The new Tundras are very nice, but as previously noted, a well optioned one, even with cutrrent incentives, is $10k more than what I was willing to spend right now.

The Tacomas are nice, and with the tow package they're rated to tow 6500 lbs. The interior on the double cab is very roomy, and I could live with everything except the really small bed. As Terry pointed out, the ATV/riding mower/dead critters/deer feeder & corn, sheets of plywood, etc. just won't fit in a shortbed Taco.

So, I found an '06 Tundra Double Cab, 4.7 liter i-Force V8, 4x4, TRD Off Road Package with 21k miles on it. Very clean 1 owner truck, still under warranty. The price was right, so the SuperDuty is gone after 72k miles in 27 months. Odd, I figured I'd keep that SD 10 years, and I actually owned it for less time than any other truck I've ever had.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/092707_001.jpg

The ATV fits fine......with the tailgate down. Just a couple inches shy of being able to close the tailgate with the ATV in it, but those inches just aint there.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG0658.JPG

I gave up some creature stuff, no leather interior, no heated seats, no auto climate control, and just a single disc CD player, but the Tundra is much smoother, quieter, and better riding, plus it has more room in the back seat for gear, dog, passengers. I'm not terribly excited about the Tundra, but it should be a good solid vehicle, and it seems like a good financial decision at present. Payments are lower without extending my term, fuel costs are lower, mileage should be better, maintenance costs are lower, and insurance is cheaper.

David N, I bought it from David Wilmoth, who's at Patt Lobb Toyota in McKinney now, so this is the second vehicle I've bought from him. He said to tell you hey.

L8 APEX
09-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I will try to be positive during this diffcult time, which is very hard for me. I have always tried to make folks aware that the 6L has it's issues and would not recommend owning one out of warranty. But to this day it is still the lesser of the evils short of driving a Duramax with IFS. I don't know what I will do in the next 20K miles. The high price of diesel fuel is BS. When I bought in it was 30-40 cents cheaper than regular 87. I love my truck and I need the towing capacity at the present time. A good rule of thumb for tow ratings is about 75%. Meaning a vehicle will handle well at 75% of its rated capacity. My F250 is rated for 12,5K but it literally blows a gasket over 10K lbs. Max tow rating means weight dist hitch, trailer brakes and maintaining 55mph on flat ground in most cases.
Let me know if you need any accessories for your new ride, floor mats, step bars, bed mat, brush guard etc.. I am probably going by the speed warehouse tomorrow. Or you can go since you have nothing else to do:icon_eek:

jeff56
09-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Cool - looks like the big brother to my silver Tacoma. Get you a pair of these at stubbswelding.com:

http://www.stubbswelding.com/newsko.jpg

Good offroad protection, good side steps and because they stick out several inches, the only way I can get a door ding is if it's a truck taller than mine, which is rare. Got mine coated with Line-X Xtra.

Hope you enjoy it. I gave up a bunch of creature comforts too, but I gained more useability with less stress.

This darkside is getting pretty crowded Terry....

L8 APEX
09-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Infidels!!! If there were a truck god you would be shunned from his roads:icon_eek:. Hmm, if I didn't need a real truck I would probably drive a Toy too:tongue:

L8 APEX
09-27-2007, 10:29 PM
That thing needs wheels and tires! For OE I liked the BFG Rugged Trail. They last a LONG time.

Moonshine
09-28-2007, 09:20 AM
That thing needs wheels and tires! For OE I liked the BFG Rugged Trail. They last a LONG time.

These are the OE tires, so they have 21k on them. Tread depth isn't too great, and it's not a real aggresive tread pattern, but I read some reviews and people seem to like them. They do squall a bit if you corner very hard.

L8 APEX
09-28-2007, 10:17 AM
I don't know what they will hold maybe a 31x10.50. I have seen Long Trail on a lot of them as well. They are a good all terrain street tire. The only good tire for off road is a mud tire and they are a big compramise for the street. Brad and I have owned several sets of BFG Mud Terrain's. They last 40-50K and are awesome off road and tolerable on road. No sliding around corners though and they are scary wet.

David N
09-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Well, I did it.

The new Tundras are very nice, but as previously noted, a well optioned one, even with cutrrent incentives, is $10k more than what I was willing to spend right now.

The Tacomas are nice, and with the tow package they're rated to tow 6500 lbs. The interior on the double cab is very roomy, and I could live with everything except the really small bed. As Terry pointed out, the ATV/riding mower/dead critters/deer feeder & corn, sheets of plywood, etc. just won't fit in a shortbed Taco.

So, I found an '06 Tundra Double Cab, 4.7 liter i-Force V8, 4x4, TRD Off Road Package with 21k miles on it. Very clean 1 owner truck, still under warranty. The price was right, so the SuperDuty is gone after 72k miles in 27 months. Odd, I figured I'd keep that SD 10 years, and I actually owned it for less time than any other truck I've ever had.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/092707_001.jpg

The ATV fits fine......with the tailgate down. Just a couple inches shy of being able to close the tailgate with the ATV in it, but those inches just aint there.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG0658.JPG

I gave up some creature stuff, no leather interior, no heated seats, no auto climate control, and just a single disc CD player, but the Tundra is much smoother, quieter, and better riding, plus it has more room in the back seat for gear, dog, passengers. I'm not terribly excited about the Tundra, but it should be a good solid vehicle, and it seems like a good financial decision at present. Payments are lower without extending my term, fuel costs are lower, mileage should be better, maintenance costs are lower, and insurance is cheaper.

David N, I bought it from David Wilmoth, who's at Patt Lobb Toyota in McKinney now, so this is the second vehicle I've bought from him. He said to tell you hey.

:tu::tu: I tracked him down few months ago when i was looking for a Toyota for my Dad.... He was always upfront and no games....:beer:

Congrats on the new truck..:santa