PDA

View Full Version : Resto of my black 93...need help

SpeedRaptor
07-24-2007, 08:59 PM
I want to get my truck in shape and get more involved in Talon. I really enjoyed being a part of the 2004 picture (Black 93 with white racing stripes) and attending a couple of meeting.
I want to start with the engine. Plan to put a 351w short block in while having the Lightning block rebuilt. Who would I get that would do the Lightning rebuild right? I would like to up the CI to 393. Would the EFI support that? Also would there be any problens using a regular block during the rebuild?

Any 1st Gen advise you all could share would be appreciated.

Sixpipes
07-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Most any 90s 351W shortblock will work. I recently looked into having a 351W built for my 95 project, but it was way expensive by the time everything was done. I ended up buying a FMS sportsman 351W built shortblock for $3K. Your 93 engine is probably a non roller block, but check the block number to be sure. If you are going rebuilt, it would probably be worth the money to buy a roller block (late 93 to 95 Lightnings). You might check Ebay for a built 393ci shortblock. Not sure about the computer, but you may want to check NLOC to see if your computer will manage the change in cubic inches. You could always convert to mass air if it is an issue. :cool:

99WhiteBeast
07-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Richard,
Long time no see- glad to see you're back.

You should be able to push the cubes and still stay Speed Denisty with some tuning help. There is a user on NLOC with the name SSTOCK who is now a supporting vendor over there who can help.

You will need a twEECer which is a tuning device for the EECIV processors that the G1's use. SSTOCK can then hook you up with the tune for your combo.

charlie
07-27-2007, 05:14 PM
What ever happened to Raymond. He is/was local. I bought my gen 1 stuff from him.

Charlie

99WhiteBeast
07-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Wow that must have been back in the day. He had the tuner business here local for sometime but has not been heard from in some time.

I remember Rob used him once but that was at least 4 years ago. He was very hard to reach and to schedule with

charlie
07-27-2007, 08:51 PM
He was very hard to reach and to schedule with

Yep... That was him.

Charlie

SpeedRaptor
08-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the info. I purchased a roller engine. I will tare it down and take the short block to be given a new identity (393ci):icon_biggrin:. Then I will have to learn the ways of the twEECering. What is the price of a twEECer and tune?

Next will be the paint. Can anyone recomend a person to paint my 93? I had the wheels powder coated in 2004 right before leaving on the HR Power Tour because they were looking bad. The body paint was still ok then, but now it is peeling like a black bannana.:icon_sad: What would paint set me back?

Sixpipes
09-01-2007, 02:18 PM
A good paint job is not cheap $4K-$5K maybe. Tweecer will run you about $400 from Steve (sstock) over on the NLOC Gen I forum.

SpeedRaptor
09-09-2007, 08:08 PM
I got the block to the builder yesterday. Wanted to take to him last sat. But he was racing in Columbus, Ohio last weekend. Oh well , I plan to slow down, be patient and get all I want to do done on this motor.
Original motor is shaking like an off balance washing machine. And has only 90#'s of compression in cylinders 6 and 7. (Would a blown head gasket between those cylinders cause the shaking?) I will go ahead and pull it out. I have a 351w that I built years back that I will drop in to get back on the road until the roller motor is finished.

SpeedRaptor
04-07-2009, 01:41 AM
It is unbelievable how fast time can go by. It was August of 2007 that started the ball rolling on this motor for the my Lightning. But , like a taxi ride in a big city....it is taking a long time to get to the destination due to detours along the way. :) But when I started this motor I said that I wouldn't get in a hurry and I would build it right. Well ....here is the update. Plans have changed it will be a 408w instead of the 393w and turbo or turbo's is in its future. The roller block has been machined except for the decking. The rotating assembly has arrived. :icon_cool:( Eagle 4340 forged crank and 4340 ESP H-beam rods. ) I will be ordering the heads, cam, oil pan, and valve covers in the near to far future. I am glad to be getting back on task and really want to get my Lightning back on the road.

I am surprised that there are so few post from Gen 1 owners. Hope to see an increase in the future. Get to typing!

mustgofaster
04-07-2009, 04:59 AM
It is unbelievable how fast time can go by. It was August of 2007 that started the ball rolling on this motor for the my Lightning. But , like a taxi ride in a big city....it is taking a long time to get to the destination due to detours along the way. :) But when I started this motor I said that I wouldn't get in a hurry and I would build it right. Well ....here is the update. Plans have changed it will be a 408w instead of the 393w and turbo or turbo's is in its future. The roller block has been machined except for the decking. The rotating assembly has arrived. :icon_cool:( Eagle 4340 forged crank and 4340 ESP H-beam rods. ) I will be ordering the heads, cam, oil pan, and valve covers in the near to far future. I am glad to be getting back on task and really want to get my Lightning back on the road.

I am surprised that there are so few post from Gen 1 owners. Hope to see an increase in the future. Get to typing!

Sounds sweet! You are building yous exactly the way I wanted to build mine... Not enough $$$ right now though, so I settled for freshening it up with a couple of minor mods. Looking forward to seeing your beast complete.:tu:

Steve

99WhiteBeast
04-07-2009, 10:10 AM

I wondered why I have not seen the truck around. Good luck on the build process and let us know how it progresses.

BC Lightning
04-07-2009, 02:34 PM
It is unbelievable how fast time can go by. It was August of 2007 that started the ball rolling on this motor for the my Lightning. But , like a taxi ride in a big city....it is taking a long time to get to the destination due to detours along the way. :) But when I started this motor I said that I wouldn't get in a hurry and I would build it right.

That's how I feel, I can't believe how much time has gone by since I started my project, but I want it built right the first time, and if that means it takes longer, well, so be it

Good luck with your build, can't wait to see pics when its all finished

Shiner1
04-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Sounds nasty..:tu:

SpeedRaptor
03-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Update-- :icon_sad: I had to put the Lightning on hold back in July '09. (Life Detour) I got a great deal on a '67 mustang then a week later on a good deal on a house. We are remodeling the whole house ourselves. It is taking longer than we thought. Mainly because we keep adding things to do to it....LoL :confused: Hopefully we will be done in a few months and can start moving in. I have been reading here and on NLOC to get turbo info. I have decided on AFR 205cc heads with 72cc combustion chambers. For fuel control I have been seriously looking at the FAST stand alone systems. I need to decide what cam to use.

Well, hope to have more info soon....... all things take time.:beer:

Here are some pics.

Flats Man
03-29-2010, 07:53 AM
I started my Turbo Build Thread on Feb 16 of 2006 and just now got it tuned! Where does the time go? Good luck with your project! Talon will soon have two turbo Gen 1's! :d

Sixpipes
03-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Nice looking motor parts... I'm using a Crower 303 cam in my rebuild. :cool:

SpeedRaptor
03-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Thanks Guys:).....Flats what cam do you have in your turbo motor? (Any cam input would be appreciated.)

I bought a clear lens set for the Lightning 6 yrs. ago. What to replace it....who sells them now?:icon_eek:

FRDRCING
03-30-2010, 10:51 PM
I started my Turbo Build Thread on Feb 16 of 2006 and just now got it tuned! Where does the time go? Good luck with your project! Talon will soon have two turbo Gen 1's! :d

I will be driving a Turbo Gen. 1 in a few years. I picked up a 93 Project truck about six months ago and plan to put a turbo on it as well. So one day there will be three Turbo Gen. 1's in Talon.

Flats Man
03-31-2010, 06:21 AM
Hey believe it or not, I don't know the specs on my cam. It is kind of a joke between me and the Engine builder. I told him I just wanted a nice little street turbo cam and he said that he would not put in a duker cam and ordered me this one, I do like it though. The Crystal Head lites can be bought on Ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-FORD-F150-BRONCO-6PCS-CRYSTAL-HEADLIGHTS-CORNERS_W0QQitemZ310204553809QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMo tors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4839a1da 51

Thanks Guys:).....Flats what cam do you have in your turbo motor? (Any cam input would be appreciated.)

I bought a clear lens set for the Lightning 6 yrs. ago. What to replace it....who sells them now?:icon_eek:

Flats Man
03-31-2010, 06:33 AM
Well good luck on your turbo project! I think it has taken more patience that any other project that I have done. Start a build thread so that we can follow your build! Have fun!

I will be driving a Turbo Gen. 1 in a few years. I picked up a 93 Project truck about six months ago and plan to put a turbo on it as well. So one day there will be three Turbo Gen. 1's in Talon.

FRDRCING
03-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Well good luck on your turbo project! I think it has taken more patience that any other project that I have done. Start a build thread so that we can follow your build! Have fun!

I will start a build thread here shortly. I have done so much since I started it. The first few post are going to be large.

SpeedRaptor
04-06-2010, 05:07 AM
Since it may be a little bit before I get started back on the roller motor. I thought I might post some pics of the Original engine that is in it and some pics of the truck as I find them.

These are of the engine after I had the valve covers and the wheels powder coated silver in 2004. I had the upper intake done in blue. Was reassembling after replacing a blown head gasket.:icon_mad: The last one is the before pic.

SpeedRaptor
05-02-2010, 11:39 PM
No progress on Lightning.:icon_cry: Broke water line from weight of tractor while mowing. It was 3/4 inch schedule 20 PVC and was only buried 2 to 3 inches deep all the way from the road to house. I rented a trencher and dug 625ft. down the drive and then another 175 to the shop and house. I am replacing all of it with 1in. Pex tubing buried 12 to 15 inches. I have all but 40ft. of the 90ft. from the shop and house left to complete (I have water up to the shop now by closing the isolation valve I installed from shop to house) I added 4 no-freeze hydrants and isolation valves along the way.
I am wanting to get the house done inside so we can move in then I can start fixing up the shop and working on the Lightning. Working and working on this house is tough but the Lighting is the light at the end of the bumpy road.:icon_biggrin:
I know this isn't truck info so let me know if you want me to just wait and post when I make progress on the truck.

Sixpipes
05-03-2010, 09:21 AM
No progress on Lightning.:icon_cry: Broke water line from weight of tractor while mowing. It was 3/4 inch schedule 20 PVC and was only buried 2 to 3 inches deep all the way from the road to house. I rented a trencher and dug 625ft. down the drive and then another 175 to the shop and house. I am replacing all of it with 1in. Pex tubing buried 12 to 15 inches. I have all but 40ft. of the 90ft. from the shop and house left to complete (I have water up to the shop now by closing the isolation valve I installed from shop to house) I added 4 no-freeze hydrants and isolation valves along the way.
I am wanting to get the house done inside so we can move in then I can start fixing up the shop and working on the Lightning. Working and working on this house is tough but the Lighting is the light at the end of the bumpy road.:icon_biggrin:
I know this isn't truck info so let me know if you want me to just wait and post when I make progress on the truck.

A light at the end of the tunnel is valid reason to keep a Lightning around the house. Having four valid reasons is a little tough to justify though. :cool: