PDA

View Full Version : New diesels a lose lose?

L8 APEX
06-12-2007, 10:10 PM
I have been getting some feedback from my customers with 2008 PowerStrokes. They have raised the price about 2 grand for the diesel options. One customer has a F350 King Ranch dually. His old 7.3 PSD got 17-20mpg. He was a little shocked when he found his new dually avgd about 9.5mpg for the first 5 months:hammer:. So with this being found it is not much more efficient than a gas V10. At this point it is a lot closer to the V10 side of the scale. I will try and get some more field verified info on what the new trucks are really averaging. I think the dual turbos and stricter emissions have contributed to this extra cost and loss of fuel economy.

03LightningRocks
06-12-2007, 10:39 PM
If this turns out to be true, I will be hanging onto mine for awhile. I still plan to start racing with FFW again. I will need all the milage I can get dragging the 32" trailer all over the country.

L8 APEX
06-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Same here, I am worried about breaking 100K with this tricky engine. I always said I would not own the 6L after warranty. But the new trucks are not what I want in a diesel. I am damn sure not going to pay 7 grand for a 10mpg diesel:bs. I guess I will feeding my 15mpg diesel for now. I sure do love grumbling around and smoking people out, the new trucks don't do that either...

my2002lightning
06-13-2007, 12:16 AM
My brother Regan just purchased an '07 Dodge 6.7L diesel 4-door 4x4 and claims 15-17mpg. I IMd him earlier to verify these stats. for comparison.

I'm looking fwd. to driving it soon.

Ohmsby
06-13-2007, 07:25 AM
I switched my DD to a gas truck for the first time ever based on these new diesels. I was the first one in line for the new King Ranch but the numbers are chit and the M&R promises to be a nightmare

although if I could get one that shoots flames like in the video:evil

I heard two things from mechanic types. one is that the heat generated by the new emissions in the exhaust is crazy. What about grass fires? Two is that fleet vehicles for big rigs have lost fuel economy by as much as 50%

interesting we cut the emissions but burn twice the fuel:hammer:

STooPiD
06-13-2007, 08:26 AM
I suppose you could just start making your own diesel... I've heard it's not that tricky, and cheaper than dirt. Just get in good with a manager of a restaurant that serves greasy foods. :twitch:

03LightningRocks
06-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Snip................

interesting we cut the emissions but burn twice the fuel:hammer:

Thank the tree huggers for that one.:flaming:

L8 APEX
06-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Also we use more corn for ethanol and E85 so grain prices rise affecting cereal and other foods. All cereal makers are charging more for smaller boxes now:mad:

STooPiD
06-13-2007, 03:29 PM
tree huggin hippy bastards...:nono: anybody find out when we are seceding from the union yet? i missed the memo.

John Armstrong
06-28-2007, 07:53 AM
I have been getting some feedback from my customers with 2008 PowerStrokes. They have raised the price about 2 grand for the diesel options. One customer has a F350 King Ranch dually. His old 7.3 PSD got 17-20mpg. He was a little shocked when he found his new dually avgd about 9.5mpg for the first 5 months:hammer:. So with this being found it is not much more efficient than a gas V10. At this point it is a lot closer to the V10 side of the scale. I will try and get some more field verified info on what the new trucks are really averaging. I think the dual turbos and stricter emissions have contributed to this extra cost and loss of fuel economy.

Need more miles to get it broke in before any fuel mileage increase. On the other hand a 1 ton dually probably will not get the best mileage.

L8 APEX
06-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Some guys on Diesel Stop.com have 50+K on t heir new trucks and the mileage isn't any better. I have 70K on mine and I may have picked up 1 mpg through break in. It damn sure didn't get 10-12 off the showroom floor. I started at 14-15 and went up from there. The truth is the new trucks with regeneration and the extra emmissions are eating more fuel to do the same job. Look on the Cummins boards, their new 6.7 is getting 2-3 mpg less than last years engine.

John Armstrong
06-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Some guys on Diesel Stop.com have 50+K on t heir new trucks and the mileage isn't any better. I have 70K on mine and I may have picked up 1 mpg through break in. It damn sure didn't get 10-12 off the showroom floor. I started at 14-15 and went up from there. The truth is the new trucks with regeneration and the extra emmissions are eating more fuel to do the same job. Look on the Cummins boards, their new 6.7 is getting 2-3 mpg less than last years engine.

I forgot to mention I got tired of my '03 Powerstroke with the 6.0 in it and went to GMC and got myself an '06 Duramax 4x4 CC and very happy with it. I also get 17~19 miles per gallon to and from work, 35 miles one way, on longer trips such at Houston area to San Antonio I get 20~21 miles per gallon running 75 with cruise control on. Trailering my Lightning about 7000~8000lbs with all my race stuff 12~14 miles per gallon.

The only complaint my wife has it is not as spacious as the Superduty and I agree. On the other hand my Duramax tows like a dream.

I have not heard of any problems with the '07 Duramax 6.6 (LMM) yet. The '07 classic has the same engine I do 6.6 (LBZ). General Motors classifies there engines such as LB7, LLY, LBZ and LMM. Strange way to do this but I suppose it works and just hard getting used to. On their older models had cooling issues but beginning on the LLY engine got it resolved.

Here is a link to the Chev/GMC: http://dieselplace.com/forum/index.php the LBZ is considered the 3rd generation and yes you see problems with various people but on the otherhand not as much as on PS & Dodge boards.

The best of the diesel world would be a superduty with a cummins motor and an Allison transmission IMHO.

L8 APEX
06-28-2007, 06:58 PM
The LBZ is a bad boy and yes we were discussing that today that a Cummins, Allison, F250 chassis would rock! GM uses the half ton sheet metal which will not last 300K. Their frame and rear diff are HUGE. The doors will sag etc. Ford has a great cab and door hinges etc. Of course you heard GM sold Allison so it will go to poop shortly. I always liked the Duracrud:icon_wink:. It is super quiet and smooth. The local dealer had a pile of lift pumps or some kind of fuel pumps at one point. He said whenever someone hauled too much they lost that pump. The new regen process dumps perfectly good fuel into the exhaust pipe to burn soot particles, that is a blatant waste of fuel. It is also a fire hazard as we will see once it dries up around here. Even Cummins started having issues with their 5.9 in 04-on. Had one customer his injectors and injector nuts were constantly backing off. He left it completely stock. Of course Johns big C marked its spot like a Harley, loL!

LivinEZ
07-02-2007, 02:33 PM
well all of this will change by what...2012 All cars and trucks will have to get at least 30mpg... of course if they don't change the way the manufacturers calculate fuel economy, it will never really be 30. Maybe 25 - 28 in real world numbers...but better than 15.

L8 APEX
07-02-2007, 03:10 PM
It is not acheivable at any reasonable cost. Power will have to come back down as well. No more 300+hp trucks nad SUV's.

LivinEZ
07-02-2007, 03:29 PM
It is not acheivable at any reasonable cost. Power will have to come back down as well. No more 300+hp trucks nad SUV's.

guess that is just too bad for american manufacturers. Make no mistake that the technology is there...Foreign cars can have the hp and mpg. it is just the oil companies have their hands in too many pockets to keep the technology out of the american market. America is getting fed up with the oil dependency and something has to change. Look at GM...they have high hp with some fuel economy by shutting off have the engine at cruising speed.

L8 APEX
07-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Chevy had the 4,6,8 engines in the 50's over 70 years ago. The foreign brands are not much better. The only time they get better fuel economy is in a smaller vehicle size. My brother has a 2001 Chevy 1500 Z71. He gets 15-17mpg. He is looking at the brand new Tundra by Toyota. The window sticker clearly shows 14-16mpg. So the brand new foreign truck gets worse mileage than his 7 year old Chevy pickup. When Toyota nad Nissan make full size v8 trucks to compete over here they get the same or WORSE economy than the American trucks. Chevy has the best full size truck MPG right now at 19-22mpg in the V8 half tons. Dodge, Nissan, Toyota, Ford full size V8 trucks are all mid teens if the yare lucky. Splain that Lucy:rolleyes:

LivinEZ
07-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Chevy had the 4,6,8 engines in the 50's over 70 years ago. The foreign brands are not much better. The only time they get better fuel economy is in a smaller vehicle size. My brother has a 2001 Chevy 1500 Z71. He gets 15-17mpg. He is looking at the brand new Tundra by Toyota. The window sticker clearly shows 14-16mpg. So the brand new foreign truck gets worse mileage than his 7 year old Chevy pickup. When Toyota nad Nissan make full size v8 trucks to compete over here they get the same or WORSE economy than the American trucks. Chevy has the best full size truck MPG right now at 19-22mpg in the V8 half tons. Dodge, Nissan, Toyota, Ford full size V8 trucks are all mid teens if the yare lucky. Splain that Lucy:rolleyes:

:rll::nono:What ever the cost...it will still happen...IT'S THE LAW AND the foreign guys WILL do it before and cheaper than the american guys.

L8 APEX
08-30-2007, 11:18 PM
11mpg trucks...
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47152
someone has defeated the dpf though....:evil

mikelemoine
08-31-2007, 01:33 PM

The new race is to make trucks ride like luxury cars. Ford boxed the frame, used thicker glass, added sound deadener and "quiet steel" which upped the weight. The new Kenworth big rig fascia thats so popular kills aerodynamics. Chevy's fuel injection system is pretty efficient and I suppose there are probably some small differences such as body panel weight and even the tire style/tread that they can play with to maximize mileage. Guess its all about whether the corporate guys decide the cost of making minor improvements is going to add enough to the bottom line. Also depends on the corporate fleet fuel economy. Ford sells lots of Focuses, Fusions, Taurus and other weenie mobiles so they can slack on truck economy without getting the gub-ment after them.

Meanwhile, Chrysler is stuffing Hemis in everything but the Neon now (hmm-that'd be cool :evil) and GM is giving Tahoe's away with the purchase of an oil change, so they need to make them all as efficient as possible to stay within the fleet required fuel economy. Anyway, if Ford and Toyota sees a backlash in sales because of poor mileage, they will step up. As Terry said, they all have the engineering knowledge, its just a business decision to spend $10 on a tire with a rigid sidewall and a little more road noise, or lose 1 MPG and spend nothing. They should pay more attention to oil prices and adjust their decisions accordingly..

L8 APEX
08-31-2007, 02:03 PM
3/4 ton and higher trucks are not rated for federal fuel economy. Only half ton and passenger cars.