PDA

View Full Version : Help...This thing is kickin' my ass...

mardyn
05-19-2007, 03:14 PM
As af few of you guys know, I've got a Gen 1 EFI 5.8L engine in my '69 GT350 Mustang. I just can't figure out the oil level deal.

It always reads too high, like the dipstick is too long. I ordered a new dip stick for the engine from Ford... F2TE-6750-DA stamped on the stick, 29.250" inches long.

I just changed the oil, put in two quarts, checked it by the stick and it's atleast two inches over the full mark.

My thinking is that the stick may be going somewhere other than straight down into the pan. Do these engines have a windage tray or some other baffleing in the pan that could be giving me these crazy readings?

I'm gonna' go ahead an run 5.5 quarts (dual oil filters) and assume it's full... does anyone disagree?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

mardyn

Sixpipes
05-19-2007, 04:19 PM
That's the correct dip stick (same as my 93) at 29.5 inches long. No windage tray on a stock set up. Do you have a stock pan? The truck pans are different than a Mustang. :cool:

Mark #2
05-19-2007, 05:03 PM
No expert here on this but if you and Dennis measured the dipstick tube length, that might help.

A short tube would give the same result.

mardyn
05-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Best measurement I can get on the tube, appears to be approx 19.750" to 20.00" from the top of the tube to where it goes into the block. It's supposed to be the stock lightning tube, it appears to be in the correct location/position.

Oh yea, it's the stock pan that came on the engine.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4134/69gt350undercarraige002ta7.jpg

Keep the ideas coming, this thing has been drivng me crazy.

Damn... I just remembered... I've got one of those tricky-dickey flexible optical scopes that I've never used. I might drain the oil back outta' there tomorrow and run that thing up in the pan via the drain plug hole and have a look around. Soemthing has gotta' be screwed up in there.

mardyn

Sixpipes
05-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Looks like you might have a 5.0L dip tube. Mine measures about 22 inches. :cool:

charlie
05-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Just drain it. Put 6 qrts. in and mark the dip stick where the level is. And wala! Your full mark.

Charlie

mardyn
05-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Hmmm. that must be it... My tube must be 2" short, so the stick is going in 2" too far.

'Pipes.. that 22" measurement sure explains things. Thanks

mardyn

Chris94L
05-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I always dump 6qts in mine.. 5.5 sounds like you are running it low especially with dual remote mounted filters

mardyn
05-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I usually run 6 quarts total... I just put 5.5 in today as I'm trying to get a sollution on the incorrect stick/tube deal.

Here's what I'm thinking now. Tomorrow I'll add another 1/2 quart to bring the total up to 6, I'll then check the level by putting the stick in the tube with a 2" spacer. If the thing indicates correctly, I'll shorten the stick by 2" (from the top end) then reattach the T-handle, and I should be good to go.

I appreciate everyone's help and comments.:D

Thanks
mardyn

mustgofaster
05-20-2007, 05:29 AM
With dual filters ,I'd run mine a little closer to 7 qts.

projlightning
06-06-2007, 12:38 PM
I usually run 6 quarts total... I just put 5.5 in today as I'm trying to get a sollution on the incorrect stick/tube deal.

Here's what I'm thinking now. Tomorrow I'll add another 1/2 quart to bring the total up to 6, I'll then check the level by putting the stick in the tube with a 2" spacer. If the thing indicates correctly, I'll shorten the stick by 2" (from the top end) then reattach the T-handle, and I should be good to go.

I appreciate everyone's help and comments.:D

Thanks
mardyn

Did you get this taken care of? If not, I have a dipstick and tube off my 93L you can have. The only thing wrong with it is, the bracket that holds it on the header is missing/broke.

mardyn
06-07-2007, 10:12 PM
I appreciate everyone's help and ideas. I got it fixed.... basically, I just shortened the dipstick length by two inches (from the top end) and it reads perfect now...

Thanks again,
mardyn