View Full Version : Next two days should be fun!!!!!!!!!

BC Lightning
03-25-2007, 05:04 PM
As you know I sold my Whipple so that I could step up and play with the big dogs, and my 2.6 KB shows that it is on schedule to be delivered Tuesday. I have been finding mods to do the the truck so I changed the plugs from NGK TR6s to NGK BR7's to get them 1 degree colder, and I started the coolant crossover mod that I saw on SVTPerformance, after some trial and error i now know where to drill the hole, and find the right size drill bit, tap and fittings shown in the pic:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_02191.JPG

Also, Terry was kind enough to let me "borrow" his black LFP throttle body, since it will take roughly a month for mine to come in. This TB is bigger than the Accufab and I like the design better, also, where the throttle cables attach to the throttle body, it doesnt look like it sits up as high as the stocker of Accufab, so we might not have to cut the hood, but I'm bringing my dremel just in case we have to, pics:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_02152.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_02162.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_02141.JPG

As far as the coolant crossover mod, it basically is the same principal as what the mustangs guys are doing, and unscrewing the plug in the heads and running a new hose to the existing lines so the driver side coolant has a way of circulating back to the radiator. I have seen alot of pics posted where the back driver side head produced too much heat because the coolant had no where to escape and became extremly hot, here is the link:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372646

Snip: "Reason for doing this:
Mod engines don't have provisions for coolant to exit the rear of the drivers side head to join the rest of the coolant en route to the heater core and then back to the radiator. This causes a known and proven hot spot in the #7 and especailly #8 cylinders, proof due to damage occuring most commonly in these cylinders due to more heat=detonation. This was originally done on the 03 & 04 Cobras and there are kits available if you search around."

I will update with pics once I go back to the North TX safe house

wesman
03-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Very cool michael, once you get the coolant mod done I'd like to take a look at it and possibly do it as well.

Make sure you're there for FedEx on Tues, they won't leave it without someone signing for it.

--wes

BC Lightning
03-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Very cool michael, once you get the coolant mod done I'd like to take a look at it and possibly do it as well.

Make sure you're there for FedEx on Tues, they won't leave it without someone signing for it.

--wes

Will do :tu:

here is a pic of what it looks like when finished, some use T's some use Y's, but something is better than nothing, I'm putting the T closer to the intake and ran a 5/8 hose from driver side to passenger side and will tie into the existing lines instaed of running new hose off the T like you see in the pic

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/coolantmod001fv1.jpg

slick-svt
03-25-2007, 05:49 PM
WOW Terry can I borrow some cool speed parts????? :D

BC Lightning
03-25-2007, 07:42 PM

I owe him the throttle body thats coming in from LFP

FRDRCING
03-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Mike that TB is very nice, cant wait to see how well it out perfroms the Accufab. I still think we should of swaped it to tifftons truck to see it in action;) . And I hope you don't have to cut your hood with the new tb and blower.

L8 APEX
03-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Only if I have had it in stock for three months and you choose to order it off the internet instead and it doesn't show up for a month. Then you can borrow it until/if/when your discount part shows up:tu: .

Fuzion
03-26-2007, 10:56 AM
I really like that black TB... might have to sell my billet Accufab for that one!

02TrueBlu
03-26-2007, 11:35 AM
you sold a whipple to step up with the big boys?? if im not mistaken all of the top fast trucks are running whipples.... i might have to look into the coolant mod though. good deal.

L8 APEX
03-26-2007, 11:56 AM
The order of blowers is:
Eaton,
Ported Eaton,
KB 2.3 (old KB),
KB 2.3 with JLP plenum,
Whipple 2.3's,
Then KB 2.6 big bore,
KB 2.6H model the most powerful supercharger you can bolt on.
Past that you have to get a custom turbo setup to make more peak power. Nothing can touch the low end instant power of a huge belt driven compressor.

charlie
03-26-2007, 06:00 PM
The KB may be better on the low end. But I still want the turbo. Every thing that I have been reading said that the turbo will create more H.P. with lower boost. OK let the :throw: begin . Besides, if I have a little less on the low end, I don't have to worried about traction as much.

Charlie

wesman
03-26-2007, 06:06 PM
The KB may be better on the low end. But I still want the turbo. Every thing that I have been reading said that the turbo will create more H.P. with lower boost. OK let the :throw: begin . Besides, if I have a little less on the low end, I don't have to worried about traction as much.

Charlie

There's not really much to argue here, a large turbo will make more peak HP than a SC. However, power under the curve is going to be on the large SC's side until very high in the RPM range.

Keep in mind with a turbo you're going to have to be able to rev to get the true benefits, ie you need the parts to support higher rpm's to see the true benefits.

I wouldn't mind a turbo or two, I do prefer them over SC's but I still haven't seen much proven on the bolt-on/no fab/tuning aspect on any of the turbo systems out there yet.

--wes

charlie
03-26-2007, 06:11 PM
All Manley bottom end. I found a tuner for the turbo set up. And I ported the s**t out of the lower intake. How much more do I need?

Charlie

wesman
03-26-2007, 06:15 PM
All Manley bottom end. I found a tuner for the turbo set up. And I ported the s**t out of the lower intake. How much more do I need?

Charlie

Bottom end has nothing to do with rpm's.....think more along the lines of airflow. You're going to need to look at the heads, springs etc........mess around and float/drop an exhaust valve and your built motor could be done.

--wes

charlie
03-26-2007, 06:19 PM
I forgot to add the Romeo stage II heads and cams. Yeah I know I'll have to change the cams.

Charlie

wesman
03-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I forgot to add the Romeo stage II heads and cams. Yeah I know I'll have to change the cams.

Charlie

Cams will need to be swapped for a turbo setup, you'll likely need new valve springs for higher RPM applications.

--wes

L8 APEX
03-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Lots of folks talk turbo very very few have done it successfully. I get calls all the time from folks on their turbo setups. Most are on their 2nd or 3rd engine and have drivability and tuning issues out the wazoo. At least with the SC it is a bolt on and go one day proven mod. They will make more power than you can use for the most part with a lot less cost and headache. Turbos come with an assload of custom piping, oil plumbing and severe heat issues just to name a few.

charlie
03-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Well I'm about to find out. I know where there is one right now with none of the issues listed above. He is setting everything up for me. The plan is 800 H.P. to the ground. But we all know how plans go. Especially mine.

Charlie

charlie
03-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Cams will need to be swapped for a turbo setup, you'll likely need new valve springs for higher RPM applications.

--wes

Valves are in place. And I do not plan on shifting above 5500 RPM's

Charlie

wesman
03-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Valves are in place. And I do not plan on shifting above 5500 RPM's

Charlie

If you don't shift above 5500 rpm's you're gonna be surprised about how much of that power you won't be using, especially if it's a big single turbo (lag issues).

Also, it's the springs that get stressed and let go, then drop the valves. Make sure yo look into that.

--wes

charlie
03-26-2007, 07:46 PM
If you don't shift above 5500 rpm's you're gonna be surprised about how much of that power you won't be using, especially if it's a big single turbo (lag issues).

Also, it's the springs that get stressed and let go, then drop the valves. Make sure yo look into that.

--wes

Well I supposedly have the latest and best springs out right now.

And as far as leaving H.P. on the table. We will see.

But thanks for the heads up.

Charlie

Chris94L
03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
5500 is way low...spin it higher