PDA

View Full Version : Newby with 2007 Roush 427R Mustang

Big Mac
03-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Hi Everyone,

A buddy of mine who owns a Ford Harley and Lightening recommended this site to me for the wealth of knowledge and information concerning performance enhancements for supercharged vehicles. I just picked up a 2007 Roush 427R Mustang, and would like any suggestions any of you have to tweak the performance on my vehicle without voiding my factory warranty. I'm a mechanical idiot so get out the crayons if you must :o .

All input is appreciated! Below is a link to a pic of my new car.....thanks to all.:)

http://gallery.roushperfmarketing.com/index.php?id=157

tiffo60
03-20-2007, 11:16 AM
car is beautiful:beer: , and now days the dealers can void the warranty for dang near anything if they choose, so I say live with out fear and let the modding begin, and if something goes wrong, return it to stock and take it in to get it fixed:evil

tiffo60
03-20-2007, 11:19 AM
you should come to the dyno day saturday and see what it really puts down:d , theres a thread titled Dyno day with all the details

toddwarren
03-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Welcome aboard Big Mac! That is a great looking car!:D

WA 2 FST
03-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Hey David,

Welcome! I'm a good friend of TW's. The car looks cool. That has to be a cop magnet. ;)

I don't have a lot of advice on your car b/c frankly I haven't researched the new Mustangs much, and I know yours isn't an ordinary Mustang anyway. Is that thing faster than the new Shelby GT500? What's the powerplant in it?

tiffo60
03-20-2007, 12:07 PM
What's the powerplant in it?

i found this straight from the roush website

The 427R horsepower package is highlighted by the intercooled ROUSHcharger* system which adds 115 horsepower and 65 lb-ft of torque to the base Ford 4.6L, 3-valve V8 powertrain system. The additional power upgrade comes via a ROUSH-engineered ECM calibration which has been specially-tuned to work in harmony with the different exhaust system used on the vehicle.

TXLIGHTNING
03-20-2007, 03:02 PM

The 427R horsepower package is highlighted by the intercooled ROUSHcharger* system which adds 115 horsepower and 65 lb-ft of torque to the base Ford 4.6L, 3-valve V8 powertrain system. The additional power upgrade comes via a ROUSH-engineered ECM calibration which has been specially-tuned to work in harmony with the different exhaust system used on the vehicle. Needs to boost that thing up some. I think they run 6Lbs boost on the Roush Charger.

WA 2 FST
03-20-2007, 03:19 PM
But from my understanding, its a stock engine with stock compression. I'd run it up to ~8-9psi, but that would be it on a 10:1+CR motor.

bluesvt
03-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

A buddy of mine who owns a Ford Harley and Lightening recommended this site to me for the wealth of knowledge and information concerning performance enhancements for supercharged vehicles. I just picked up a 2007 Roush 427R Mustang, and would like any suggestions any of you have to tweak the performance on my vehicle without voiding my factory warranty. I'm a mechanical idiot so get out the crayons if you must :o .

All input is appreciated! Below is a link to a pic of my new car.....thanks to all.:)

http://gallery.roushperfmarketing.com/index.php?id=157

IT'S A "LIGHTNING" not Lightening. :rolleyes: Just had to throw that out there. Sick car though and welcome to TALON. :beer:

TXLIGHTNING
03-20-2007, 05:07 PM
But from my understanding, its a stock engine with stock compression. I'd run it up to ~8-9psi, but that would be it on a 10:1+CR motor. My thoughts exactly. 9psi MAX. :tu:

TXLIGHTNING
03-20-2007, 05:25 PM

The 427R horsepower package is highlighted by the intercooled ROUSHcharger* system which adds 115 horsepower and 65 lb-ft of torque to the base Ford 4.6L, 3-valve V8 powertrain system. The additional power upgrade comes via a ROUSH-engineered ECM calibration which has been specially-tuned to work in harmony with the different exhaust system used on the vehicle. Also from the website. ROUSHcharged 4.6L powertrain system
Additional components include ROUSHcharger, intake manifolds, intercooler & radiator, air induction system, ROUSH calibrated ECM and many others) Produces 415hp / 385lb-ft.

Big Mac
03-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Ironically, the website isn't entirely accurate on the actual specs of the 427r (they end up quoting Stage III specs:rolleyes: ). The 427R has 427 horse and 391 ft. lbs of torque. The exhaust system is the difference between the Stage III and the 427R. :cool:

Here's a review (which includes the correct specs).

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060925/FREE/60915003/1004

02TrueBlu
03-21-2007, 01:23 PM
nice car man

Tex Arcana
03-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Awesome car, and welcome. :beer:

L8 APEX
03-21-2007, 06:21 PM
If they are using stock 4.6 rods I would leave it alone where it is. Ford used forged aftermarket rods in the Cobra's 03-04 because the stock 4.6 rods would not hold up under the Eaton...

02BOLT
03-21-2007, 07:05 PM
David, Congrats on the 427R. Those are sweet cars. There's not much out there right now for the Roushcharged cars in the way of pulleys and such. The 427R's and Stage 3's are pullied for 5 psi stock. Roush is supposedly on the cusp of releasing a smaller blower pulley and accompanying tune, but from what I'm reading, it will only be worth a pound or two of boost and around 25 HP at the flywheel, but it is supposed to retain the factory warranty. Most of what I've read has those cars putting anywhere from the high 350's to low 370's to the wheels in stock form. The broad range can be attributable to a myriad of variances in dyon location or operation etc...

I have heard of some guys picking up some decent gains with a more aggressive custom tune(around 400 RWHP or so). That's with the stock pulley. If you go that route, stick with a reputable tuner, and make damn sure you check the A/F ratio on a rear wheel dyno prior to burning rubber with the new tune, or you'll hurt the factory hypereutectic pistons.

The Eaton that comes on those cars is the "little" M-90. It's a good little blower for what it is intended to do, which is supply miles and miles of reliable, fun driving at a moderate horsepower level. The M-90 will be maxed out at about 8 psi. Spin her any harder than that and she'll just be making heat.

I would go with a set of 4.10 gears(3rd gear in the factory 5 speed is considerably taller than the previous T-5/T-45 trannies), and long tube header exhaust set-up. The 4.10's will enable the car to pull harder in 3rd and 4th gears; otherwise you'll trap in 3rd gear in the 1/4 mile. That's just me though, I'm pretty hard core where performance is concerned. The factory 3.55 supplied gear will still offer plenty of fun.

If you want max power with the warranty then check with Roush Performance to see when they're gonna release that pulley set-up. If you go to the lower gear, then you will need some kind of a tuner to corrrect the speedo.

The website that seems to have the most Roush enthusiasts is www.fnsweet.com (http://www.fnsweet.com) Seems like a pretty knowledgeable group of folks over there, and very nice. Goodluck with that ride, and have fun.

FRDRCING
03-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Nice Car

my2002lightning
03-22-2007, 12:29 AM
David,

That's one sharp looking Mustang! :cool: I really like the front-end styling and overall stance over the standard-issue Mustangs.

Congrats and welcome to TALON.

Ronald

http://gallery.roushperfmarketing.com/images/0157_100_0859.jpg

BC Lightning
03-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Grand Prarie Ford has a Roush 427R Mustang as well as 2 Saleen S331 F-150s if anybody wants to see them up close

:ron:
I drove by in my L and a salesman asked if I wanted to upgrade to a faster S331 F-150 than my Lightning, I laughed and opened the hood, I plan on going back once I get the 2.6 KB bolted on

the front end looks real clean and aggressive, the back half looks real plain and boxy

TP Derrick D
03-22-2007, 03:27 PM
David, very nice car!! I read about it in Muscle Mustang & Fast Fords and 5.0 Mustangs. Hey man look, its no secret I am a big time Mustang man, and its also no secret I hold the Roush,Saleen,Shelby GT500,Terminators & more in very high regards(ask Wa 2 Fst) I,like Rob(02Bolt)take performance to the next level so I will be honest with you. I seriously don't think this is the site you looking for for Mustang info. I don't know your age but you might try DFW Stangs(i didn't like it because its a bunch of young kids(to me) thats just getting into it and think they know everything.The S197 platform is the hottest thing in the performance market right now with at least a dozen or more looks & drivetrains to choose from. Most of the guys here know about Lightnings but don't know about Mustangs. Many just talk to be in the conversation. If you are serious i can hook you up with my Mustang crew. I would also suggest you invest in the 2 magazines I mentioned above.They are the "Holy Bible" when it comes to Mustangs and will give you plenty info & websites. oh yeah about me...I have every copy of MMFF since 1993, every copy of 5.0 Mustang since 1997 as well as other mags I cancelled. I have been deep into Mustangs since 1987 and owned one since 1989(was overseas before that)currently got a '95 GT supercharged & stroked that have had several transformations since 1997 when i bought it. Prior to that had my '89 GT for 8+ years until I sold it after buying the '95. I also own a 2000 Lightning for 6+ years. I also do True Steet but not past 2 years....anyway there you have it...good luck
Hey Michael, G.P Ford & Westway in Irving is the local authorized dealers for Saleen & Roush. Five Star is local dealer for Foose. Westway & GP Ford is linked together somehow according to one of the salesmen a couple years ago.

WA 2 FST
03-23-2007, 12:29 AM
With all due respect, I'm not in my first rodeo when it comes to giving advice on hot-rodding Mustangs. Frankly, its not rocket-science regarding what you can/can't do when using forced induction. It makes no difference whether its GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc.

I find it rather affirming that the Roush engineers basically say the same thing that I did... no more than 8+psi on this puppy.

I don't think you were being disrespectful Derrick, and I also enjoy(ed) reading a decade's worth of MMFF (which I think has gotten away from the hardcore tech stuff in recent years). But there is plenty of crap advice they give that is technically-oriented. I'd be happy to put my EEC-IV (and even EEC-V) tuning skills up against those guys any day with the proper tools.

What we don't want David to do is get some bad advice and go blow up his new hot-rod. We both agree on that. That rules out most of the local tuners, IMHO.

Tex Arcana
03-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Grand Prarie Ford has a Roush 427R Mustang as well as 2 Saleen S331 F-150s if anybody wants to see them up close

:ron:
I drove by in my L and a salesman asked if I wanted to upgrade to a faster S331 F-150 than my Lightning, I laughed and opened the hood, I plan on going back once I get the 2.6 KB bolted on

the front end looks real clean and aggressive, the back half looks real plain and boxy

Pics?

kainzien
03-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Sweet car... I love that color..

TP Derrick D
03-25-2007, 05:44 PM
With all due respect, I'm not in my first rodeo when it comes to giving advice on hot-rodding Mustangs. Frankly, its not rocket-science regarding what you can/can't do when using forced induction. It makes no difference whether its GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc.

I find it rather affirming that the Roush engineers basically say the same thing that I did... no more than 8+psi on this puppy.

I don't think you were being disrespectful Derrick, and I also enjoy(ed) reading a decade's worth of MMFF (which I think has gotten away from the hardcore tech stuff in recent years). But there is plenty of crap advice they give that is technically-oriented. I'd be happy to put my EEC-IV (and even EEC-V) tuning skills up against those guys any day with the proper tools.

What we don't want David to do is get some bad advice and go blow up his new hot-rod. We both agree on that. That rules out most of the local tuners, IMHO.

Wes,I know you have experience with hi-po cars, thats why I like chatting with you. I feel you know & take it serious.I know you know how I feel & think of the Saleen/Roush Stangs thats why I call your name a lot. I believe we on the same page(just you not admitting that you a GM guy :D ).If you and I got together we could exchange facts/history on Mustangs & other hi-po cars. You have just moved on to GM and thats OK, I just like messing with you about it because we got it like that. I certainly don't want David to damage his ride because its a Roush, I didn't want him to get the idea that this is the BEST forum for Mustang info although a few of us could give info the majority can't and its not dissing its just the truth, like the best L info won't be found on DFW Stangs. You know it was said on here that (Stang) tuners were trying to tune L 's like Stangs and they are different so it don't work. Well I fell the same way and vice versa,although it may be an occasion where a tuner can do both. We certainly don't want the impression that L tuners can tune both, but Stang tuners can only tune Stangs and not L's.

bluesvt
03-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Well I fell the same way and vice versa,although it may be an occasion where a tuner can do both. We certainly don't want the impression that L tuners can tune both, but Stang tuners can only tune Stangs and not L's.

So let me get this straight. Lightning tuners can only do Lightning. Mustang tuners can only do Mustangs. Very few can do both. WHAT? :rolleyes:

BC Lightning
03-25-2007, 07:11 PM
So let me get this straight. Lightning tuners can only do Lightning. Mustang tuners can only do Mustangs. Very few can do both. WHAT? :rolleyes:

what he is trying to say that some mustang tuners tune Lightnings with mustang variables, they dont take into consideration the difference in the load, a 4500-5000 pound truck will require a way different tune than a 3500-4500 pound car, look at HPP, speedworks, etc, they have had nightmares with trying to tune L's, and have blown them up on the dyno

so for the most part, yes they cant tune both,

its better to data log to tune our trucks and not on a mustang dyno, the amount of load is different between a dyno and the road

WA 2 FST
03-25-2007, 07:20 PM
It's all good, Derrick! Have a good one.:tu:

bluesvt
03-25-2007, 07:21 PM
what he is trying to say that some mustang tuners tune Lightnings with mustang variables, they dont take into consideration the difference in the load, a 4500-5000 pound truck will require a way different tune than a 3500-4500 pound car, look at HPP, speedworks, etc, they have had nightmares with trying to tune L's, and have blown them up on the dyno

so for the most part, yes they cant tune both,

its better to data log to tune our trucks and not on a mustang dyno, the amount of load is different between a dyno and the road

Seems like ignorance to me. If they don't know, then don't even try it. :hammer:

BC Lightning
03-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Seems like ignorance to me. If they don't know, then don't even try it. :hammer:

I agree, but with different vehicles comes more revenue

IMO to be successful at tuning different vehicles they need to have SCT, or someone trained to come to their shop or go to them to learn how to tune, this could save a lot of trial and error time and increase profit