PDA

View Full Version : Tainted Pet Food recalls

wesman
03-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Not sure if everyone here was aware of this issue. I know several members here have dogs/cats. It seems to be the canned/wet foods that are affected.

Dog deaths increase despite pet food recall
At least 100 dogs in the United States have been killed in recent weeks by toxic pet food despite a recall of the products, scientists said today.

Some 19 brands of Diamond, Country Value and Professional dog foods have been recalled. But many pet owners are not aware of the recall, researchers at Cornell University said Friday.

Dogs have refused to eat the food and, in some cases, their owners have enticed them with gravy and other lures without knowing they were killing the animals.

"Entire kennels have been wiped out, and because of the holiday these past few weeks, the dispersal of recall information was disrupted," said Sharon Center, a professor of veterinary medicine who specializes in liver function and disease at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell.

Toxic food damages the liver
The dog food is tainted with deadly aflatoxins that waste the liver away. The bad food could be present in a dozen other countries, too, the researchers say. About two-thirds of dogs that show symptoms from the toxin have died.

The dogs seemed to know their food was deadly.

"Some dogs were stealing food from the kitchen counter," Center said. "Others just stopped eating the food and begged for treats. Unfortunately, some owners used gravy and other mixers to entice their dogs to consume what they thought was safe, quality dog food."

Only about two dozen deaths have been firmly linked to the tainted pet food. But Center and her colleagues know the toll is far higher.

"Every day, we're hearing reports from veterinarians in the East and Southeast who have treated dogs that have died from liver damage this past month or so," Center said. "We're also concerned about the long-term health of dogs that survive as well as dogs that have eaten the tainted food but show no clinical signs."

Surviving dogs may develop chronic liver disease or liver cancer, she said.

"Despite our understanding of this complex toxin, we have no direct antidote," Center said.

Symptoms arise over days or weeks. Early signs include lethargy, loss of appetite and vomiting. Later, look for orange-colored urine and jaundice, which is a yellowing of the eyes and gums. Severely affected dogs produce a blood-tinged vomit and bloody or blackened stools.

More information is available at a Cornell Web site.

Here's a link to the recalled dog food:

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

Here's the cat food list:

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

tiffo60
03-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Im glad I only feed my dog dry food, Hope there isnt anyone around us affected by this.

SILVER2000SVT
03-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I only feed my dog dry food as well.

On the Iams site they said that so far only cats have been affected but that it's easily possible for dogs to be affected by this too.

Silver_2000
03-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Interesting that 3 or 4 HIGH end brands are all made by same company
Including Iams eukanuba and Nutro brands
In total 49 brands are all made by same company

Cartel
03-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Whew good thing I only use dry dog food too.

WA 2 FST
03-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Only dry here as well. I would go ballistic if something happened to either of our 1-2yr old dogs. I feel like I just lost my old dog (it was 2 years ago)... no way I could lose one of the "new" puppies.

wesman
03-19-2007, 12:27 PM

Yeah, it seems to be common for many products these days.

Notice that when the big peanut butter debacle happened it was Peter Pan and the store brand that was affected. So, they were both made by the same company and likely had the same ingredients.

--wes

TXLIGHTNING
03-19-2007, 12:52 PM
In total 49 brands are all made by same company Same thought that I had.

umclightning
03-19-2007, 04:06 PM

They just recalled eukanuba so I guess all the others will soon b recalled

SVTJoseCuervo
03-19-2007, 04:07 PM
only dry food here too..well 2-3 times a month canned food

Aggie Mom
03-19-2007, 05:03 PM
About a month ago I got the puppy Akasha spayed and her blood profile was all out of wack. Her liver enzymes where high and her glucose levels were also pretty high. The vet changed her diet and put her on dry diabetic dog food. I still had some of the soft puppy food I was giving her and it matches the recall codes for IAMS. I stopped feeding it to her once the vet changed her diet last month, but I wonder if that was the reason for the messed up blood work. The article says it affects the liver. Her last blood test was normal. She only eats dry food now. Thanks for posting this.

wesman
03-19-2007, 05:15 PM
About a month ago I got the puppy Akasha spayed and her blood profile was all out of wack. Her liver enzymes where high and her glucose levels were also pretty high. The vet changed her diet and put her on dry diabetic dog food. I still had some of the soft puppy food I was giving her and it matches the recall codes for IAMS. I stopped feeding it to her once the vet changed her diet last month, but I wonder if that was the reason for the messed up blood work. The article says it affects the liver. Her last blood test was normal. She only eats dry food now. Thanks for posting this.

Glad you brought her in and got it taken care of. It seems that a lot of owners just think things will get better on their own and it's often the pet who suffers for it.

I've only used soft foods when my dogs were pups, dry food after that. Luckily my dogs haven't had any of these issues.

--wes

wesman
03-19-2007, 05:15 PM
http://nuclearworldconflic.cm/iran.html

Does anyone else see this virus link ????

--wes

Yes - removed

Silver_2000
03-19-2007, 05:39 PM

Please stop posting links like that - Its not nice .....

It may be you are infected with something

my2002lightning
03-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Wes! We feed Junior (my red-heeler cowdog) Pedigree, Kibbles and Bits along with tablescraps.

I called my brother and told him about this as they feed their full-size poodle Lilly the Iams.

Thanks,

Ronald

Silver_2000
03-19-2007, 05:49 PM
I think its ONLY the wet food so far - canned and pouches...

It makes you wonder if all the food is the same - if the high end stuff and the store brand is all made by the same company and apprenatly on the same production line to allow this kind of cross contamination... Whats the point of buying the $$ food

I only feed dry food with a can as a treat 3 or 4 times a year

L8 APEX
03-19-2007, 05:52 PM
We have always been a dry food family. Wet is only as a special treat or topping on the dry. When it rains it pours with these food things..:tex

Silver_2000
03-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Does anyone else see this virus link ????

--wes

Yes - removed

reported to the host

wesman
03-19-2007, 08:08 PM
reported to the host

thanks Doug,

I'm on a Mac so no worries, but some of the unknowings on PC's could get fubarred by it. I suspect our friend umc is infected and doesn't even know it.

--wes

FRDRCING
03-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Good thing my dog's only get dry food. The can stuff stinks.

BC Lightning
03-19-2007, 09:07 PM
My dad only sells dry science diet out of his clinic :tu:

Silver_2000
03-19-2007, 10:33 PM
thanks Doug,

I'm on a Mac so no worries, but some of the unknowings on PC's could get fubarred by it. I suspect our friend umc is infected and doesn't even know it.

--wes
Yeah if you google the url its posted all over the forums and guest books ...

If he posts it again - well have to ban him - its the closest we have to a internet condom