PDA

View Full Version : Dial #SMOKE

L8 APEX
02-18-2007, 10:13 AM
This is the new state number to report a vehicle emitting excessive smoke. They will start by mailing the registered owner a letter with tips on how to maintain their vehicle. Eventually it will lead to fines and re-inspections for reported violators:evil

Wht95Lightning
02-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I wish I'd known about this yesterday. Driving from Texas City back to DFW I must have seen at least a dozen beaters fogging for squitos on I-45. :nono:

WA 2 FST
02-18-2007, 01:52 PM
There are a number of reasons this is just BS. #1... how many times will false reports be made just b/c another driver irritated the one who reports the "offending car." Seriously... Driver A cuts off Driver B, who then calls #SMOKE and says Driver A's car is a gross polluter. #2... enforcement of any real merit will be extremely complicated and time consuming. You cannot fine someone for something an officer of the law (or govt) did not witness.

There is no accountability (that I've heard of) in place for false reports.

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing this debate. I understand pollution is bad. I also understand that by and large commuter vehicles are targeted b/c we are the "small guy" with no real clout on an individual basis.

As it relates to global warming, I am so friggin' sick and tired of these leftist yahoos and the bunk they are spewing. It is a _known fact_ that the average temps in N. America were higher before the 1920s than they are today. Chances are good it was warmer before the industrial revolution as well.

Start a car, kill a tree. Plant another one. Go hug it. Move on.

Lyfisin
02-18-2007, 02:27 PM

Good T-Shirt material. Is that a Wes original?

WA 2 FST
02-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Good T-Shirt material. Is that a Wes original?

Actually it is. :) Want to help me market those?

Might be some money to be made with the hot-rodding crowd. :tu:

mikelemoine
02-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Hehe. I still keep saying if they would just synchronize the traffic lights and offer incentives for businesses to allow flex time to reduce peak traffic loads, we'd save tons of fuel. I bet it would be more cost-effective than chasing individuals down and we'd reduce dependence on foreign oil. Anyway my two cents...:hammer:

There are a number of reasons this is just BS. #1... how many times will false reports be made just b/c another driver irritated the one who reports the "offending car." Seriously... Driver A cuts off Driver B, who then calls #SMOKE and says Driver A's car is a gross polluter. #2... enforcement of any real merit will be extremely complicated and time consuming. You cannot fine someone for something an officer of the law (or govt) did not witness.

There is no accountability (that I've heard of) in place for false reports.

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing this debate. I understand pollution is bad. I also understand that by and large commuter vehicles are targeted b/c we are the "small guy" with no real clout on an individual basis.

As it relates to global warming, I am so friggin' sick and tired of these leftist yahoos and the bunk they are spewing. It is a _known fact_ that the average temps in N. America were higher before the 1920s than they are today. Chances are good it was warmer before the industrial revolution as well.

Tex Arcana
02-19-2007, 05:58 PM

Don't forget about 400-odd million years ago, when the average daily temps were about 140degF. :eek: And the Antarctic was a tropical paradise. :d

Tex Arcana
02-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Hehe. I still keep saying if they would just synchronize the traffic lights and offer incentives for businesses to allow flex time to reduce peak traffic loads, we'd save tons of fuel. I bet it would be more cost-effective than chasing individuals down and we'd reduce dependence on foreign oil. Anyway my two cents...:hammer:

Two cents well-spent. :cool:

Now to convince the boss-berts.:hammer:

microsuck
02-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Sorry, diesel smoke isnt illegal. It just happens. Thats why we dont have to do the emmissions portion of the state inspection. Just the $10 safety inspection.:D

L8 APEX
02-20-2007, 11:12 PM
There is a section in the traffic code against excessive or hazardous smoke. I could see this being applied to a diesel if a cop wanted to do so. Diesels were to be added to emissions inspections in 08 I think. I will stay with a prior year as long as I can. For the most part the OBD 2 system is sufficient enough IMO for pass/fail. The new diesels have all kinds of EGR's, soot traps, regeneration systems etc.. A very sad time for diesels.

Report Smoking Vehicles
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/images/smog.gif

To report a smoking vehicle visit
www.smokingvehicle.org (http://www.smokingvehicle.org/)
or call toll free
1-800-453-SMOG (7664)

Remember, even though your vehicle may not be subject to the emissions based testing program, your vehicle does receive an emissions component check and a gas cap test, during the annual safety inspection. Air quality is a concern for all Texans, so do your part in keeping Texas' air clean.
1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) Parking - (beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
10. Exhaust System
11. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. License Plate Lamp (1)
16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
17. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models) (mea-sure if 1959 model or earlier)
18. Head Lamps (2)
19. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
20. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
21. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

dboat
02-21-2007, 03:48 AM
Andrew,

tried to PM you.. clean out that box.. :D

Dana