PDA

View Full Version : Change your Router password - merged

Silver_2000
02-16-2007, 10:35 AM
If you have a Internet router from any vendor and are still using the default password - its time to change it

Hack lets intruders sneak into home routers (http://news.com.com/Hack+lets+intruders+sneak+into+home+routers/2100-7349_3-6159938.html?tag=nefd.top)

This is bound to be used by a bad guy soon and could cause $$ problems easy
Lets say you have a paypal card or a ebay account or a bank account

The hacker puts up a web page that changes your routers DNS server to his
His DNS redirects ALL the above sites to duplicate sites of his own making
If its done well
Your PC wouldnt know

You logiin to the right looking site with the right URL and everything - except its his site - he know has your username and password and goes to the right site to get your $$

or a website could be setup easily to just scramble your router settings taking you offline ...

Doug

gagspa
02-16-2007, 11:20 AM
That is the first thing I did once I set mine up. I think that Password was the initial password.

Moonshine
02-16-2007, 03:18 PM
We did change mine, didn't we?

Silver_2000
02-16-2007, 03:34 PM
We did change mine, didn't we?

Dont know - Depending on the install I didnt always change the password as long as the customer was using strong encryption.

Try it open web browser and go to 192.168.1.1

If its a linksys the default is empty username and admin as the password

Call me if you have trouble

Doug

Moonshine
02-16-2007, 04:11 PM
It is a Linksys, and we did change it. Was thinking we had, but wanted to confirm. Thanks.

Tex Arcana
02-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Seems there's a new vulnerability that doesn't require a virus or worm: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2095313,00.asp

Cliff's notes: hackers can pharm your password for your router/wireless router, change your DNS server, and fake your bank sites to steal your bank login data. :(

Tex Arcana
02-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Seems there's a new vulnerability that doesn't require a virus or worm: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2095313,00.asp

Cliff's notes: hackers can pharm your password for your router/wireless router, change your DNS server, and fake your bank sites to steal your bank login data. :(

Doug, it looks like my original post made it, go figure. :rolleyes:

Thanks for moving it to the right place, and thanks for spreading the awareness.

Now to convert everyone to Linux... :d

99WhiteBeast
02-17-2007, 03:48 PM
I must have changed mine but can't remember what it was- a blank user name and 'admin' in the pw field gets me no where. I gues that's a good thing:rolleyes:

Tex Arcana
02-17-2007, 08:33 PM
I must have changed mine but can't remember what it was- a blank user name and 'admin' in the pw field gets me no where. I gues that's a good thing:rolleyes:

Typically, they go something like "admin/password", so try logging in with "admin" first.

Failing that, depending on what model/brand you have, you might want to consider doing a hardware reset, then redo your settings, including a good login/password combo with letters, numbers and spaces. I usually used the title of a book, one I like alot that's long, and I can either remember, or find on the bookshelf easily. :)