PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Countdown 2007

Mark #2
02-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Sorry Dana, but NASCAR rules in the USA not F1.:D

NASCAR...different voting categories.
Driver?
Post your top three.

Smoke, Johnson, and Gordon, but I will reserve my official post for a week or so.
Kennseth and Earnhart might surface.

I'm thinking Lowes versus Home Depot right now

Sixpipes
02-02-2007, 11:14 PM
My original three drivers were too close to The Kressler's picks so I'm going with 8, 29, 9 in random order. Pretty stupid of me to not put the 48, 24, or 20 in the picture, eh?

tiffo60
02-03-2007, 09:05 AM
I think i saw somewhere that toyota was going to be having there nascar debut at the daytona 500:rolleyes:

Mark #2
02-03-2007, 09:04 PM
I think i saw somewhere that toyota was going to be having there nascar debut at the daytona 500:rolleyes:

Have you watched Speed in the past 4 months;)
It is called
http://www.michaelwaltrip.com/

No NASCAR fans here?

Mark #2
02-03-2007, 09:11 PM
My original three drivers were too close to The Kressler's picks so I'm going with 8, 29, 9 in random order. Pretty stupid of me to not put the 48, 24, or 20 in the picture, eh?

I doubt the 8, but I would like it.
Harvick is a dick and Kasey is a wimp.
So yes to your question.
We also have Montoya and Rudd in the mix?

Tex Arcana
02-03-2007, 10:51 PM
Doesn't matter, the script has been written.

Tex Arcana
02-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Have you watched THE NASCAR CHANNEL in the past 4 months;)
It is called
http://www.michaelwaltrip.com/

No NASCAR fans here?

:d

And no. I prefer REAL racing in REAL cars, like BTC, DTM, and ATC. :D

Mark #2
02-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Doesn't matter, the script has been written.
Please tell...what is the script?
DLP car wins what race?

dboat
02-04-2007, 02:53 AM
Sorry Dana, but NASCAR rules in the USA not F1.:D

You know I never questioned that one.. but we shall see if the Crashcar thread surpasses last years F1 thread of mine..It seems to me that Nascar is becoming its own worst enemy and will soon see interest in its product declining. But I also think that may happen with F1 as well..

Dana

Mika
02-04-2007, 04:34 AM
I'd expect to see 24, 48 and 20 in the mix. 8 might be able to do it if he gets off his daddy's coattails for a bit.

Mika

Tex Arcana
02-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Please tell...what is the script?
DLP car wins what race?

Oh, you know, Earnhart crashes at *just* the right time, Earnhart winning the race on the anniversary of his daddy's death, staged fights between drivers and especially drivers wives/SO's... you know, just like wrestling. :tongue:

TP Derrick D
02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Mark,
You know I'm a NASCAR fan!!! And yes it rules in the US. F1 is at the bottom behind Craftsman Trucks, Indy, Rolex Sports Car & CART. I'm going Roush Racing all the way. Since my man Mark Martin has left I'm moving Matt Kenseth in my #1 spot followed by Greg Biffle & Carl Edwards. Hopefully Jamie McMurry will come on strong and the rookie replacing Mark Martin(David Ragin) will have the legendary #6 respectable. I was hoping Jack would retire the #6 for at least one year in honor of Mark's 19 years in that car and put Ragin in the #97 since he got it on hold and not running it. No Bowtie boys for me.Or Toyota either. I hate a foreign car is even allowed in NASCAR or Craftsman but I guess Toyota will bring in a hold new group of people that normally don't care about NASCAR and American brands. Kinda like what Yao Ming has done in the NBA. This brings back memories(yeah another one) of the threat we had a couple years ago about Ford owners pulling for the GM guys & the Earnharts especially. I forgot who I was mainly having it with, but who ever it was you can see it happens. Roll on #17, #16, #99, #26 ,& #6.

Mark #2
02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Rusty Wallace says
Smoke
JJ
Hardick
Gahne
JR

Moonshine
02-05-2007, 07:48 PM
My three favorites;

Dale Earnhart
Neil Bonnett
Cale Yarborough

I'm thinking it's unlikely that any of them will win the cup this year. :(

Mark #2
02-05-2007, 10:35 PM
My three favorites;

Dale Earnhart
Neil Bonnett
Cale Yarborough

I'm thinking it's unlikely that any of them will win the cup this year. :(
Okay funny guy, this year, this isn't a all time great thread
but Harry Gant is one of my favorites.
Toughest guy ever in the garage and would still be today.:D

How about a senior series in NASCAR, like golf?
10 races a year/~50 laps, no refueling or pit stops, how cool would that be?
Fights are Okay after the race for these guys.;)

TP Derrick D
02-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey Mark, what you thinking about the DEI situation? I'm thinking Teresa probably should realize the Earnhart name and Jr especially is keeping the organization going and in the spotlight. Take away Jr and all the "Earnhart Fans" leave with him along with sponsors and the free ride she has enjoyed start to slow down. IMO she should give him the 40% interest in DEI, his dad built the DEI name and Jr can certainly keep it strong even without her,I just don't think she can keep it strong without him.

Mark #2
02-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Hey Mark, what you thinking about the DEI situation? I'm thinking Teresa probably should realize the Earnhart name and Jr especially is keeping the organization going and in the spotlight. Take away Jr and all the "Earnhart Fans" leave with him along with sponsors and the free ride she has enjoyed start to slow down. IMO she should give him the 40% interest in DEI, his dad built the DEI name and Jr can certainly keep it strong even without her,I just don't think she can keep it strong without him.

The big come to Jesus meeting is today and they are keeping Teresa and Jr out of the same room. Should be interesting, I agree DEI is done without Jr.

I'm thinking Jr will go to Childress and run the #3 car again.

Moonshine
02-07-2007, 01:49 PM
IMO she should give him the 40% interest in DEI, his dad built the DEI name and Jr can certainly keep it strong even without her,I just don't think she can keep it strong without him.

I'd disagree with your assessment. Teresa was always the busniess person end of DEI, and Dale always gave her credit for building the DEI empire (based on his driving talent, of course).

TP Derrick D
02-07-2007, 02:26 PM
I'd disagree with your assessment. Teresa was always the busniess person end of DEI, and Dale always gave her credit for building the DEI empire (based on his driving talent, of course).

yeah Mark I saw the big meeting being talked about and they will be kept apart. I'm with you Mark on Jr reviving the #3, imagine how big that will be for NASCAR and the Earnhart fans!!
Moonshine, what did you expect Sr to say? She may have the "book" sense to keep the "books" straight but that don't keep fans cheering or buying your T-shirts. Take away the head(Jr) and the body(DEI) will fall.Its the Dale Earnhart Sr & Jr fans thats keeping the DEI nation alive not people in the office. Sure she could get another driver but it won't be anywhere near what DEI is now. Look at how far the #43 car has fallen since King Richard Petty retired after 1984.The STP Petty nation is nowhere near what it used to be and Kyle can't win to save their name. And Richard is in the offices also.

TP Derrick D
02-10-2007, 12:25 AM
The big come to Jesus meeting is today and they are keeping Teresa and Jr out of the same room. Should be interesting, I agree DEI is done without Jr.

I'm thinking Jr will go to Childress and run the #3 car again.

Saw on ESPN that Jr has demanded to be majority owner with 51%. Also on PTI today the hosts(Tony Kornhieser & Michael Wilbon) both agree like we said "if Jr leave DEI it will only be a shell of a company". They also agree he should get the 51%,"Thresa will be giving up a lot but she'll lose more if Jr leave."
I don't know all the details but I believe he should get it or at least 50% between him & his sis, to keep him there, happy, and where he belong, carrying on daddys name.But thats just my .02( common sense).

Mark #2
02-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Smoke was great tonight in the Bud shoot out.

Qualifying tomorrow, the Yates Fords were fastest in practice.
I always like Rudd, glad he is back.

I think Toyota is sand bagging in practice, we'll see tomorrow.

DLP car 16th in second practice, not bad.

Mark #2
02-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Michael Waltrip's Toyota intake manifold was confiscated by NASCAR earlier today and now the entire car is impounded, interesting.

I was correct on the Yates Fords, but wrong on the Toyota's, they are struggling, and maybe cheating.

TP Derrick D
02-12-2007, 01:10 PM
I didn't watch all of it just a few laps here and there because NHRA Pomona qualifying was on along with Mavs so I was channel hopping. I did see the end and also the Speed Channel crew talk about the Jr/Teresa Earnhart saga and like me they feel it is in the best interest of the company to let the son carry on his father's legacy.She's pretty much just a figurehead to fans pulling for Earnhart nation.Its basically Jr or nothing for DEI.

TP Derrick D
02-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Michael Waltrip's Toyota intake manifold was confiscated by NASCAR earlier today and now the entire car is impounded, interesting.

I was correct on the Yates Fords, but wrong on the Toyota's, they are struggling, and maybe cheating.

Was watching a little yesterday,today & looking at newspaper....I see 4 suspensions and 1 indef. Man, the NASCAR gods not playing this year. I don't claim to know how widespread cheating there may be but if it is going on I hope they clean it up, even if its my teams and one of them was...Robbie Rieser, chief of Matt Kenesth car....:eek: It will sure hurt himself if Mikey can't play with the big dogs in his new 'Yota.

Mark #2
02-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Was watching a little yesterday,today & looking at newspaper....I see 4 suspensions and 1 indef. Man, the NASCAR gods not playing this year. I don't claim to know how widespread cheating there may be but if it is going on I hope they clean it up, even if its my teams and one of them was...Robbie Rieser, chief of Matt Kenesth car....:eek: It will sure hurt himself if Mikey can't play with the big dogs in his new 'Yota.

Big penalties for Mickey and Toyota, rumor is jet fuel or a Sterno like substance in the intake.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/autonews.asp?articleID=193069

Ohmsby
02-14-2007, 09:13 PM
let the shenanigans begin :nana22007 should be another fun race season

TP Derrick D
02-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Big penalties for Mickey and Toyota, rumor is jet fuel or a Sterno like substance in the intake.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/autonews.asp?articleID=193069

When I heard Sterno, I was like what?... sterno.. as many sterno cans I burned up trying to keep warm & heat MRE's when I was in the Army....who knew. Now his chief got the permanent boot,...the ol' heave ho,...bye bye.., get to steppin'.., see ya later..., u'r outta here.., pink slip..:nono: :banned from the track...drama...,made for movie type stuff...what's next?:confused:

TP Derrick D
02-15-2007, 05:13 PM
I see Mikey did make the field ,in a backup car I guess. Waiting to see how all this effect the race and all the teams involved.

Mika
02-15-2007, 07:15 PM
When I heard Sterno, I was like what?... sterno.. as many sterno cans I burned up trying to keep warm & heat MRE's when I was in the Army....who knew. Now his chief got the permanent boot,...the ol' heave ho,...bye bye.., get to steppin'.., see ya later..., u'r outta here.., pink slip..:nono: :banned from the track...drama...,made for movie type stuff...what's next?:confused:

Just another double standard implemented at the same time as Toyota joins Nascar. If it was one of the good ol' boys team, nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Oh well. They cheated, they got caught. Life goes on. Hopefully it'll be good racing.

Mika

dboat
02-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Just another double standard implemented at the same time as Toyota joins Nascar. If it was one of the good ol' boys team, nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Oh well. They cheated, they got caught. Life goes on. Hopefully it'll be good racing.

Mika

Mika, this stuff never happens in F1, now does it.. they are all above board 100% of the time.. :rolleyes:

Dana

Mika
02-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Mika, this stuff never happens in F1, now does it.. they are all above board 100% of the time.. :rolleyes:

Dana

Ed Zachary. Honda never got caught in '05;).

Mika

TP Derrick D
02-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Mika

I don't know about double standards or what have you since I'm not in the garages but if the evidence they have points to cheating I sure hope being a Toyota had nothing to do with it, besides Michael Waltrip is considered a good ol boy ..from Owensboro,Kentucky. pretty much only the guys thats not from the southern states or isn't a 2nd gen driver will be considered non-good ol' boy. thats why Jeff Gordon had such a hard time with the southern NASCAR crowd..From Cali,..don't do Skoal,..got a TV face,...and a winning team right out the box,..

Tex Arcana
02-17-2007, 12:08 AM
:rolleyes: Just more proof that ratings are more important than actual racing. :tongue:

Sixpipes
02-17-2007, 04:39 PM
OK. For all you redneck racing fans. I have started a racing league at Yahoo sports. The racing league is called TALON Racing League (ID#40649). Go to the link to find it. It is very easy to join and it costs nothing. Just need a Yahoo user name. As you would expect, the format is simple. Just pick drivers from each of the three groups and activate drivers each week based on the track etc... Password is lightning.

http://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com/auto (http://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com/auto)ci

I
Very simple and it is free. Just requires
Very ng

League (ID# 40649)

TP Derrick D
02-18-2007, 01:05 PM
OK Mark, where ya' at? today is the day...Daytona man-n-n-!!!Checkered flag man-n-n-n!!(:nana2) Did you watch the trucks Fri. nite? I saw some of it clicking back and forth but I did see 90% of the final 25 laps. The Roush Racers couldn't hold the top 3 spots and Travis couldn't hold on at the end. Didn't see the Busch race but I saw on ESPN that Kevin Harvick won. This morning I've been in "class" going back & forth between ESPN,ESPN2 & Speed, watching NASCAR Now,Daytona Memories,and RaceDay also flipping over to see a touch of HorsepowerTV,MuscleCar & Trucks!. Saw a lot of the 70's & 80's Daytonas that seemed liked yesterday.At the time it was happening didn't realize it would later be big time history. Hey Sixer, where you been man, I thought you were a big NASCAR fan and would be in on this yapping.:)

Mark #2
02-18-2007, 01:26 PM
OK Mark, where ya' at? today is the day...Daytona man-n-n-!!!Checkered flag man-n-n-n!!(:nana2) Did you watch the trucks Fri. nite? I saw some of it clicking back and forth but I did see 90% of the final 25 laps. The Roush Racers couldn't hold the top 3 spots and Travis couldn't hold on at the end. Didn't see the Busch race but I saw on ESPN that Kevin Harvick won. This morning I've been in "class" going back & forth between ESPN,ESPN2 & Speed, watching NASCAR Now,Daytona Memories,and RaceDay also flipping over to see a touch of HorsepowerTV,MuscleCar & Trucks!. Saw a lot of the 70's & 80's Daytonas that seemed liked yesterday.At the time it was happening didn't realize it would later be big time history. Hey Sixer, where you been man, I thought you were a big NASCAR fan and would be in on this yapping.:)
Sixer set up a league, so we could keep a real score.

Sixpipes
02-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey Sixer, where you been man, I thought you were a big NASCAR fan and would be in on this yapping.:)
Not sure I'm a BIG NASCAR fan, but it is The American racing series. I've always thought it ludicrous that the series features V-8 rear wheel drive cars when you can't buy a Fusion, Monte Carlo, and now Camry with those features. Kudos to Dodge for using a car that you can buy in V-8 rwd. There are a lot of things wrong with the series, but it is very entertaining and I love listening to commentators that butcher the English language on a regular basis. NASCAR fans are the most loyal racing fans in the world and also the most laughable, but it is great theatre. :nana2

Sixpipes
02-18-2007, 03:03 PM
And I bet every redneck NASCAR guy watching Kelly Clarkson do the pre-race stuff is carrying some serious wood right now. :evil

Silver_2000
02-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Here is a sample of the conversation between juan pablo and his pit during recent run up to the green

and a screenshot of the Nascar Pitcommander

TP Derrick D
02-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Not sure I'm a BIG NASCAR fan, but it is The American racing series. I've always thought it ludicrous that the series features V-8 rear wheel drive cars when you can't buy a Fusion, Monte Carlo, and now Camry with those features. Kudos to Dodge for using a car that you can buy in V-8 rwd. There are a lot of things wrong with the series, but it is very entertaining and I love listening to commentators that butcher the English language on a regular basis. NASCAR fans are the most loyal racing fans in the world and also the most laughable, but it is great theatre. :nana2

My bad Six, I thought you were BIG Time NASCAR ,I guess I got that impression after LFest 1 when we were talking about & trying to find the Talladega 500 on the way back. I'm into it but I won't paint my house, name a dog(if I had one)after my fav driver,walk around in NASCAR clothes during non-race months or do any of that crazy stuff.I'm with you on the cars, I always believed a race car was 2 doors also. I did drop a letter to Ford(when we did the letter writing to save the L)saying that they need a 2 door version of their cars to keep the young crowd interested in Ford cars. All their cars are "old folks" 4 door cars. I even mentioned the small 3.9 V-8 they used in the T-bird along with the lo-po 4.6. But oh well I got a lot of ideals that means nothing to anyone but me. I do think NASCAR is slowly branching out tho, so slow(not a bad thing)that the unwilling to change NASCAR crowd don't even notice it. Look at where tracks are located now,15 years ago they were only in the southern states,the drivers are no longer all"good ol' boys from the south"...Juan Pabelo will bring a new & much,much,much needed segiment of people to help escape that old Skoal spitting image. Now if only Bill Lester would be in more than just 1 cup race along w/truck.If they truly want to be big as the NFL & NBA they got to reach all segiments of society....talk about rolling in the $$$$$....NHRA is way ahead of NASCAR in diversity just not in promoting itself.....man got :0fftopic but I know its cool with you, we see eye2eye.....wish we along with a couple others wasn't so far apart we could have our own Monday morning crew chief-ing ....oh by the way, I mentioned in the letter to Ford that the 2 door V-8 version could be promoted as "NASCAR Editions" and the reg 4 door as street versions....I did get a letter back saying they got my letter.

Mark #2
02-18-2007, 04:32 PM
I love listening to commentators that butcher the English language on a regular basis.

Coopetition

I am glad they went to the bigger fuel cells, but the cars are so ill handling so far, not much racing going on.
They are all just hanging on.

The Bud commercials have been great.

TP Derrick D
02-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Man, they are tearing them up now, I just hope my former Roush man Mark Martin holds on for the checkered even in a Chevy but its sponsored by the US Army so its G2G,too bad he couldn't get it in the #6 Ford. If not him maybe Matt Kenseth since he's 3rd, if he can get baby Busch out the way. At least Jr, Smoke,Gordon or JJ, won't win

TP Derrick D
02-18-2007, 07:22 PM
oh well mark couldn't hang on. Harvick kicked in the afterburners, he had his car rollin' and on the outside. He just blew by everybody. I got to get used to all the sponsor,driver & manufacture changes. I'm so use to certain sponsors & numbers with a certain manurfacture & with a certain driver .

Mark #2
02-18-2007, 08:06 PM
oh well mark couldn't hang on. Harvick kicked in the afterburners, he had his car rollin' and on the outside. He just blew by everybody. I got to get used to all the sponsor,driver & manufacture changes. I'm so use to certain sponsors & numbers with a certain manurfacture & with a certain driver .

I wanted Mark to win too.
I dislike the different paint jobs, sponsors at every race on the cars.
Easy to find the DLP car, it is the same every week.:D

Lyfisin
02-19-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure I ever watched a complete NASCAR race before yesterday, but parts of it were kind of annoying.

The skill of those drivers to drive around such a packed area at close quarters for so long was pretty impressive. I was amazed the first wreck didn't happen until so far into the race given there were 43 cars.

Martin was somewhat disappointed the race wasn't yellow flagged when the accident happened, however it obviously wouldn't have affected the outcome of the race. And I'm not saying Martin was disgruntled. He took it pretty well and I believe it was the right call.

What I don't particularly care for is that these guys needed 'help' winning either by teammates blocking or pushing. It didn't appear Harvick would have even been close if not for his teammate behind him. In the final moments Harvick seemed to have won with his car and his skill at least.

There's certainly going to be a lot of car rebuilding for next week. :eek:

Sixpipes
02-19-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure I ever watched a complete NASCAR race before yesterday, but parts of it were kind of annoying.

The skill of those drivers to drive around such a packed area at close quarters for so long was pretty impressive. I was amazed the first wreck didn't happen until so far into the race given there were 43 cars.

Martin was somewhat disappointed the race wasn't yellow flagged when the accident happened, however it obviously wouldn't have affected the outcome of the race. And I'm not saying Martin was disgruntled. He took it pretty well and I believe it was the right call.

What I don't particularly care for is that these guys needed 'help' winning either by teammates blocking or pushing. It didn't appear Harvick would have even been close if not for his teammate behind him. In the final moments Harvick seemed to have won with his car and his skill at least.

There's certainly going to be a lot of car rebuilding for next week. :eek:

I guess the only thing I would point out is that Kenseth and Harvick are not team mates. And had Kyle Busch (not Martin's team mate either) not spun coming out of turn 4, Martin probably would have won the race. :cool:

tiffo60
02-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Tony Stewart was doing one heck of a job, to get put all the way back in the pack and still make it back up to the leader position before he got loose and busch polished him off

Ohmsby
02-19-2007, 12:00 PM
upside down on flames finish:nana2

Lyfisin
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM
I guess the only thing I would point out is that Kenseth and Harvick are not team mates. And had Kyle Busch (not Martin's team mate either) not spun coming out of turn 4, Martin probably would have won the race. :cool:

I didn't know that, but that's good to hear. I guess Kenseth was just on his tail because he wanted to win. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

How did Busch's accident make a difference? Did he take out a teammate of Martin's who was nearby? I remember hearing Martin's audio talking to his teammates that they had a shot if they worked together.

Sixpipes
02-19-2007, 12:12 PM
I didn't know that, but that's good to hear. I guess Kenseth was just on his tail because he wanted to win. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

How did Busch's accident make a difference? Did he take out a teammate of Martin's who was nearby? I remember hearing Martin's audio talking to his teammates that they had a shot if they worked together.

Two cars hooked up are better than one from an aerodynamic perspective. When Busch spun, it left Martin by himself and allowed the 29/17 car train on the outside to overhaul him at the finish. Martin was beating himself up pretty good immediately after the race, but after he saw Busch had left him by himself, he seemed to feel not quite as bad. Like I said in another post, good theatre, but there are a lot of nuances (not sure I should use that term when talking about NASCAR) in the NASCAR racing culture. :cool:

Lyfisin
02-19-2007, 12:43 PM
I need to find more videos at the end of the race, but there's a link on this page in the bottom right that says "Harvick wins his first Daytona 500 (javascript:void(0);)"

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=blount_terry&id=2770638

What I remembered was the two guys were all alone, by the time the cars started crashing, but obviously it all happens very fast and it doesn't take much time to get separated from anyone slowing down.

This comment from ESPN (same page as above) is what I was talking about regarding teammates, and what I saw live on the race.

"That brought a red flag and led to the overtime finish. Harvick was sixth on the restart, but zoomed forward with help from teammate Jeff Burton" (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/driver?seriesId=2&driverId=70)

Again, I couldn't find a supporting video, but wasn't Burton the one riding Harvick's tailgate on that final lap pusing him up the outside? Listening to Harvick talk, without that help, he wouldn't have been in a position to win. Even given that though, anyone behind Harvick, assuming they wanted to win, would be on his tail as well.

I think Martin had a teammate a couple cars back, but he couldn't block out Harvick. I guess he didn't see him coming in time to move up high.

What was surprising was how fast Harvick was coming up. Since there was someone right behind Martin as well, I would have thought he would have had the same speed, although he was at the bottom of the track. Harvick was just blowing by everyone up high on that last lap.

I'll look for a link that shows the race just prior to the crash.

Lyfisin
02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
There's some great video at NASCAR.com (big surprise) where Harvick talks about how he got his burst of speed. There's also a great comment from the announcer about a point I had forgotten about where Martin's car got loose and he had to let off just a tiny amount where Harvick was able to keep his momentum.

At the point of the crash, from what I could see, the two cars were all alone and just raced it out. I didn't get the feeling that someone was closer to Harvick than there was to Martin, but as I said, it all happens so fast...

If you go to nascar.com and click videos at the top, there is a great video showing the last lap called "Harvick noses out Martin in a photo finish"

Martin's audio and Harvick's comments were where I drew my comments about team racing from. Maybe it wasn't as bigga deal as I thought.

StormShadow
02-19-2007, 01:33 PM
I enjoyed the upsidedown-on fire- Ricky Bobby-finish

Sixpipes
02-19-2007, 01:56 PM
There's some great video at NASCAR.com (big surprise) where Harvick talks about how he got his burst of speed. There's also a great comment from the announcer about a point I had forgotten about where Martin's car got loose and he had to let off just a tiny amount where Harvick was able to keep his momentum.

At the point of the crash, from what I could see, the two cars were all alone and just raced it out. I didn't get the feeling that someone was closer to Harvick than there was to Martin, but as I said, it all happens so fast...

If you go to nascar.com and click videos at the top, there is a great video showing the last lap called "Harvick noses out Martin in a photo finish"

Martin's audio and Harvick's comments were where I drew my comments about team racing from. Maybe it wasn't as bigga deal as I thought.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070219/capt.dbr13202190056.nascar_daytona_500_auto_racing _dbr132.jpg

Pic showing Kenseth (Roush Ford) getting caught up in the mess behind Harvick and Martin. Although Harvick was alone at the finish, Kenseth definitely helped him win the race. The favor will be returned somewhere down the road (NASCAR etiquette). :cool:

Lyfisin
02-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Kenseth definitely helped him win the race. The favor will be returned somewhere down the road (NASCAR etiquette). :cool:

Maybe returned twice since it was Daytona he helped him win. :)

Mark #2
02-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Technology in NASCAR?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070228/ap_on_sp_au_ra_ne/car_nascar_fan_tastic_technology;_ylt=Ag6j3ZN2huul AHx1694jq3kh2.cA

The NASCAR "train"s momentum is huge, we'll see if the COT derails it, but I doubt it. The number of people that NASCAR advertising reaches is amazing (it's the mirrors).;)

Now Baseball owners are even buying into the league, not sure what will slow it down?
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2766019&campaign=rss&source=RPMHeadlines

TP Derrick D
03-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Technology in NASCAR?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070228/ap_on_sp_au_ra_ne/car_nascar_fan_tastic_technology;_ylt=Ag6j3ZN2huul AHx1694jq3kh2.cA

The NASCAR "train"s momentum is huge, we'll see if the COT derails it, but I doubt it. The number of people that NASCAR advertising reaches is amazing (it's the mirrors).;)

Now Baseball owners are even buying into the league, not sure what will slow it down?
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2766019&campaign=rss&source=RPMHeadlines

A couple weeks ago when I saw that Jack Roush had teamed up with the owner of the Bo Sox I was like Nah Man!!!! since I'm a big Roush fan and not so much the Red Sox but I guess its not bad since Roush will continue to run the operation. guess it could have been Jerry Jones from a couple years ago when he tried to join with one of the Shebby teams either Richard Childress or the 24/48 owner...dang I know his name its slipping my mind right now.
I like the NASCAR/Shebby commercial with the old street rod Impalas as a backdrop to the new NASCAR Impala SS with Jr and I'm not a Jr or Chebby fan but the commercial is cool as he!!.

Mark #2
03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
A couple weeks ago when I saw that Jack Roush had teamed up with the owner of the Bo Sox I was like Nah Man!!!! since I'm a big Roush fan and not so much the Red Sox but I guess its not bad since Roush will continue to run the operation. guess it could have been Jerry Jones from a couple years ago when he tried to join with one of the Shebby teams either Richard Childress or the 24/48 owner...dang I know his name its slipping my mind right now.
I like the NASCAR/Shebby commercial with the old street rod Impalas as a backdrop to the new NASCAR Impala SS with Jr and I'm not a Jr or Chebby fan but the commercial is cool as he!!.

I like that one too, "I'll trade you".
The new Jr Bud commercials are great, I like the Mad Max "just because I have Bud on the car it doesn't mean I have Bud in the car you sand mutant something or others

TP Derrick D
03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
I like that one too, "I'll trade you".
The new Jr Bud commercials are great, I like the Mad Max "just because I have Bud on the car it doesn't mean I have Bud in the car you sand mutant something or others

Yeah, when I saw that commercial,the 1st thing I thought of was Mad Max also. Got to give it to ole' Jr & his publicity team,they have done some good commercials. I even liked the one where he say goodbye to the girl at the plane and realize he had "her" lipstick and then he speed to meet her when the plane land and she tells him its not hers. Then he zooms by and blow the Iguana off the rock.

Tex Arcana
03-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Technology in NASCAR?
COT derails it?

omfg, I finally broke down and read the COT article (the only one I've seen that shows pics and discusses technical aspects of the car) in the AutoWeek CRASHCAR guide; and I SWEAR that thing looks like a mid-90's Monte Carlo, right down to the front bumper. :hammer:

So, instead of becoming truly relevant to the name of the series (Stock Car), they build something that bears no real resemblance to anything on the road today--in fact, is a step backwards into the past! What's next, a body based on the 1940's sedans that started the series?? :rll:

I'm sorry, folks, but I honestly hope this will actually hurt NASCAR, because it seems that "Yankee ingenuity" is no more, and we have to take our cues from other series outside the US. :( And, if NASCAR is going to remain relevant to vehicles on the streets today, they *need* to take a page out of, at least, Australian SuperCars' playbook, and run what amounts to door-slammers with real live street motors; and bring back the "Race on Sunday, Buy on Monday" slogan.

Mark #2
03-04-2007, 02:21 PM
One of my favorite races of the year is the Busch race in Mexico City starting now. It is always an entertaining race, all kinds of drivers in the race. Montoya should be fun to watch.

Silver_2000
03-04-2007, 05:04 PM
One of my favorite races of the year is the Busch race in Mexico City starting now. It is always an entertaining race, all kinds of drivers in the race. Montoya should be fun to watch.

You are right its a good race

I hated to see JP hit his team mate - but his back tires were locked trying to avoid it