PDA

View Full Version : TV opinions-please

99WhiteBeast
01-31-2007, 10:37 PM
I know this will be open up some debate but my 12 year old 35" Sony Trinitron has seen its better days. It has served me well and would consider another Sony.

My initial thoughts are in the 36" to 42" flat panel format.
I don't have HD service and don't plan to spend the extra to get it in the foreseeable future.

This will be the family TV where we have surround sound and would watch DVD's.

I would like to keep it at a reasonable amount as this gets into my mod money plans for this Spring.

RSVT
01-31-2007, 10:46 PM
steve, if i were you i would check pawn shops first and ask them what is the bottom dollar on it, and maybe you can get a deal, i work @ a pawn shop myself and got a 52" flat screen tv for $600, and im about to get a 44" HDtv flat panel for the same price, i looked it up and retails for $2200 @ best buy, so go check out pawn shops first

L-Fever
01-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Steveo, check your email. I like the Panasonic plasmas.

L8 APEX
01-31-2007, 10:59 PM
HD is a must I watch HD broadcast eclusively. I only get 4,5, and 8 on the rabbit ears, I feel like my grand parents.. The DVD's, and gaming is also much better. Make sure to get a unit with a high contrast number. I have a Samsung and it has a 3000:1 contrast. Costco sells them as well as online vendors. Stay away from the cheapo's with lower contrast numbers. Mine is only 780P but is very crisp compared to the old school. I have seen the Sony Bravia 42 which is 1080P rated 4000:1 contrast and it is even better:bows .

Ivanhoe_Farms
02-01-2007, 12:09 AM
HD is a must I watch HD broadcast eclusively. I only get 4,5, and 8 on the rabbit ears, I feel like my grand parents.. The DVD's, and gaming is also much better. Make sure to get a unit with a high contrast number. I have a Samsung and it has a 3000:1 contrast. Costco sells them as well as online vendors. Stay away from the cheapo's with lower contrast numbers. Mine is only 780P but is very crisp compared to the old school. I have seen the Sony Bravia 42 which is 1080P rated 4000:1 contrast and it is even better:bows .

By 2008 all stations will be broadcasting in HD and will require an HD tuner or converter box to receive the signal. At present the Satellite systems do not exceed 780P.

If you are going to buy a new TV and want real quality look at the Mitsubishi 6 color systems. They come in 780P and 1080P. The HD TVs are dropping rapidly in price, and the longer you can wait them out the better.:cool:

BC Lightning
02-01-2007, 09:55 AM
I have had all the "top" name brand TVs and I will only buy Samsung DLP or better now

Best Buy has been running some good deals with 6, 12 or 18 months no interest plus warranty. I bought a 42" plasma for under $1,000 but it is in my room and will only play DVDs and HD cable, and I have a 61" Samsung DLP for gaming uses and have read where those prices have dropped considerably.

A great mod to have for your TV is the Logitech remote control, plug it up to your computer through a USB cable, download all the model numbers for your tv, vcr, dvd, x box 360, PS3, surround soud, etc and can control them all with one remote controler

Silver_2000
02-01-2007, 10:12 AM
I know this will be open up some debate but my 12 year old 35" Sony Trinitron has seen its better days. It has served me well and would consider another Sony.

My initial thoughts are in the 36" to 42" flat panel format.
I don't have HD service and don't plan to spend the extra to get it in the foreseeable future.

This will be the family TV where we have surround sound and would watch DVD's.

I would like to keep it at a reasonable amount as this gets into my mod money plans for this Spring.
all the locals are broadcasting in HD now - so you dont need to upgrade your cable or whatever to get and use HD - rabbit ears will get a few signals - assuming the TV has an HD tuuner

gagspa
02-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Amazon has a 56" Samsung 1080p DLP for less than $1700 shipped to your door. That is what I will be buying as soon as I can convince the wife that I need it.

Link (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL-S5687W-1080p-DLP-HDTV/dp/B000F2P2XI/ref=pd_ys_qtk_rvi/102-7922053-8836912)

BC Lightning
02-01-2007, 12:13 PM
all the locals are broadcasting in HD now - so you dont need to upgrade your cable or whatever to get and use HD - rabbit ears will get a few signals - assuming the TV has an HD tuuner

Comcast/Time Warner came and put a HD card in the back of my TV to get HD channels

L-Fever
02-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Comcast/Time Warner came and put a HD card in the back of my TV to get HD channels

The cable cards are cool, but you don't get the nifty guide and dvr functions that the hdtv dvr cable box gives you.

Lyfisin
02-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Steve, Since you know the size you are looking for, I'd just recommend spending some time reading reviews on the web. Especially if you can find feedback from people who actually own them.

Regarding HD, it is pretty impressive, but while I have it, I don't go "Wow!" every time I change to a channel that has it. After a while, for me, it's just TV. Last Sunday I watched the entire NFC Championship on the non-HD station. I didn't realize it until the game was over. The picture is far and away better on HD, but I didn't even notice because I was watching the game, not the pixels.

It won't be a problem for you, but I live too far from Cedar Hill to pick up almost any HD signal, and I have a much better antenna than rabbit ears. :(

What mods are you looking at getting?

Mark #2
02-01-2007, 03:49 PM
How about from someone that builds them?
720p sets are exceptional deals right now.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705753&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050039&id=1138085296581

99WhiteBeast
02-01-2007, 06:04 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705753&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050039&id=1138085296581

Mark,
That one made my short list and is on sale for under 1K. :cool:

Tex Arcana
02-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Steve, Since you know the size you are looking for, I'd just recommend spending some time reading reviews on the web. Especially if you can find feedback from people who actually own them.

Regarding HD, it is pretty impressive, but while I have it, I don't go "Wow!" every time I change to a channel that has it. After a while, for me, it's just TV. Last Sunday I watched the entire NFC Championship on the non-HD station. I didn't realize it until the game was over. The picture is far and away better on HD, but I didn't even notice because I was watching the game, not the pixels.

It won't be a problem for you, but I live too far from Cedar Hill to pick up almost any HD signal, and I have a much better antenna than rabbit ears. :(

What mods are you looking at getting?

Maybe you can answer a question for me: when you were watching the non-HD broadcast, was it in wide-screen, or was it the 4:3 ratio stretched to fit your screen?

Mark #2
02-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Mark,
That one made my short list and is on sale for under 1K. :cool:
We have been working 24/7 for can't say how many years now to get the 1k 720p set in production. This is a good deal. I may even buy one.

L-Fever
02-01-2007, 08:59 PM

Does this tv have a lamp that will need replacement after so many hours? If so, how much does that cost you?

Lyfisin
02-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Maybe you can answer a question for me: when you were watching the non-HD broadcast, was it in wide-screen, or was it the 4:3 ratio stretched to fit your screen?

It was 16:9 Standard (as opposed to 16:9 Zoom).

Mark #2
02-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Does this tv have a lamp that will need replacement after so many hours? If so, how much does that cost you?
Yes, most rear projection TVs, not just DLPs have lamps in them now.

The industry is moving toward LEDs and Lasers, but the current bulb replacement estimates are at ~2 years at a cost of ~$150.

We have TVs running 24/7 for the past 4 years with no bulb replacements.
Warranties are usually available for 1 or 2 free bulbs.

When you replace the bulb you are back to full brightness unlike Plasmas that die over time, never buy a plasma (burn in during gaming, PC use, etc).

If you search the web there are many studies on DLP/LCD/Plasma/LCOS etc.

DLP is hands down the best value over 50 inches, in the 40s, LCD direct view can compete, but the pixel speed is slow for sports.

Once again trying not to be too biased:D

L-Fever
02-01-2007, 10:32 PM
The first generation plasmas had burn in issues and other problems. I've had my 8th generation Panasonic plasma for over 2 years without any burn in issues or loss of brightness. My tv has an expected lifetime of 60,000 hours. Here is a good link to information on plasma tv's:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

I'm biased as well, I spend my money on the best picture and greatest viewing angles, which in my opinion, when you view any other tv side by side compared to a plasma, the plasma wins hands down. I tell people to go compare the different tv's in person and buy the one that you like. We all have different tastes.

Mark #2
02-02-2007, 09:55 AM
The first generation plasmas had burn in issues and other problems. I've had my 8th generation Panasonic plasma for over 2 years without any burn in issues or loss of brightness. My tv has an expected lifetime of 60,000 hours. Here is a good link to information on plasma tv's:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

I'm biased as well, I spend my money on the best picture and greatest viewing angles, which in my opinion, when you view any other tv side by side compared to a plasma, the plasma wins hands down. I tell people to go compare the different tv's in person and buy the one that you like. We all have different tastes.

Copied from your link

DLP manufacturers list the backlight bulb hours at around 80,000 hours. What's more, this bulb can be replaced for as little as $200 in some cases. Certain DLP TV displays require a technician to change their bulbs, and this will cost you more than the lamp itself. In other cases, though, the DLP is configured in a way that makes it easy for a layperson to replace burned-out bulbs. It all depends on the make and model of your DLP.

And, since DLP is a mirror and light technology, once the bulb is replaced, the DLP should perform as well as it did when it was brand new.

Plasma, by contrast, uses a small electric pulse for each pixel to excite the rare natural gases argon, neon, and xenon (a k a "phosphors") to produce the color information and light. As electrons excite the phosphors, oxygen atoms dissipate. These rare gases actually have a life and fade over time. Manufacturers of plasma have estimated the life of these phosphors to be about 60,000 hours. The life of the plasma display itself is usually determined by half-life of the phosphors. So at 30,000 hours the phosphors will be at their half-life, and the viewer will be seeing an image that has half the brightness capability that it did when originally purchased. This should be a good point at which to consider its life over. The gases in plasma TVs cannot be replaced. There is no phenomenon of "pumping" new gases into a plasma display.

Sixpipes
02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Decided on a Samsung 61" DLP 1080 and will be purchasing as soon as my annual bonus check get here.

Anyone need a 53" Sony XBR for their game room? :cool:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/xbr.JPG

L-Fever
02-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Copied from your link

DLP manufacturers list the backlight bulb hours at around 80,000 hours. What's more, this bulb can be replaced for as little as $200 in some cases. Certain DLP TV displays require a technician to change their bulbs, and this will cost you more than the lamp itself. In other cases, though, the DLP is configured in a way that makes it easy for a layperson to replace burned-out bulbs. It all depends on the make and model of your DLP.

And, since DLP is a mirror and light technology, once the bulb is replaced, the DLP should perform as well as it did when it was brand new.

Plasma, by contrast, uses a small electric pulse for each pixel to excite the rare natural gases argon, neon, and xenon (a k a "phosphors") to produce the color information and light. As electrons excite the phosphors, oxygen atoms dissipate. These rare gases actually have a life and fade over time. Manufacturers of plasma have estimated the life of these phosphors to be about 60,000 hours. The life of the plasma display itself is usually determined by half-life of the phosphors. So at 30,000 hours the phosphors will be at their half-life, and the viewer will be seeing an image that has half the brightness capability that it did when originally purchased. This should be a good point at which to consider its life over. The gases in plasma TVs cannot be replaced. There is no phenomenon of "pumping" new gases into a plasma display.

Enjoy your dlp and I will keep watching my plasma. Like I said, everyone has different tastes.

gagspa
02-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Mark, will a technician be needed to change the bulb on the Samsung DLPs?

Mark #2
02-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Mark, will a technician be needed to change the bulb on the Samsung DLPs?

Probably not, but it is model specific.

Go here:
http://product.samsung.com/DLPlight/DLPguideindex.html

Tex Arcana
02-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Decided on a Samsung 61" DLP 1080 and will be purchasing as soon as my annual bonus check get here. Anyone need a 53" Sony XBR for their game room? :cool:

ygpm

Mark #2
02-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Decided on a Samsung 61" DLP 1080
Thanks for the support, I hope it exceeds your expectations.:tu:

Silver_2000
02-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Probably not, but it is model specific.

Go here:
http://product.samsung.com/DLPlight/DLPguideindex.html

:tu::tu: for end user support docs

TP Derrick D
02-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Copied from your link

Mark,you the man!!!
Thanks for the info. I was wondering the difference but never asked since I'm not really in the market yet. I purchased two 51" box type HDTV's when we moved in our new house 4 years ago. So while I will buy a DLP flat panel when I need to ,right now the "old school's" will do. Plus the Panasonic looks good in my wall unit.

Silver_2000
02-04-2007, 08:36 PM
The millions that bought HD for the game are getting screwed

The ABC cameras all all covered in water and the clarity has suffered

- Hey CBS - Google "lens hood " for next year :evil

Doug

L-Fever
02-05-2007, 10:39 AM
The millions that bought HD for the game are getting screwed

The ABC cameras all all covered in water and the clarity has suffered

- Hey CBS - Google "lens hood " for next year :evil

Doug

Those were some of the best hd water spots that I have ever seen! :D

L-Fever
02-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Taken from here:
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108443-2.html?tag=arw

Plasma life span: The life span of plasma TVs is another area that's improved dramatically over the last few generations of the technology. Partly in response to claims made by LCD TV makers, plasma manufacturers now claim their panels last an extremely long time. Most plasma makers today claim that their 2005 models have a life span of 60,000 hours before the panel fades to half brightness. According to a 2005 Nielsen study (http://dw.com.com/redir?oid=4520-7874_1-5108443-2&ontid=7874&siteid=1&edid=3&lop=txt&destcat=ex&destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enielsenmedia%2Ecom%2Fne wsreleases%2F2005%2FAvgHoursMinutes92905%2Epdf) (PDF), the average household watches 8 hours, 11 minutes of TV every day. Even if the real figure is closer to 30,000 hours, and the plasma is the only TV in the house, that works out to more than 10 years before the set reaches half-brightness--about what you'd expect from a direct-view CRT.

I think I'll be ready for a new Plasma or whatever technology has the best picture quality after 10 years! IMO, the plasma has the best picture out there right now. If you are going to pay a lot of hard earned cash for a great HDTV with the best overall picture quality, I would invest in the technology that has the best picture(plasma), again, just my opinion.

Copied from your link

Mark #2
02-05-2007, 02:33 PM
There are hundreds of articles written every year about DLP vs. LCD vs. Plasma. Direct view LCDs and Plasmas are from a pure physics standpoint "dying" technologies, just like conventional CRTs.

How long it takes and what happens in brightness, color point, and contrast ratio maybe completely acceptable for the application.

Everyone please go research all you want and make your buying decisions.

RSVT
02-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Steve are you still looking for a tv, i have a Toshiba 52" wide screen DLP @ the pawn shop i work at, its priced @ $1499.99, thats not bad for that size, jus givin you a heads ups

Mark #2
02-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Prices are dropping very quickly
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705735&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050031&id=1138085317109

Silver_2000
02-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Prices are dropping very quickly
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705735&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050031&id=1138085317109

$1700 for a 50" 1080p is getting pretty reasonable

BC Lightning
02-08-2007, 02:14 AM
$1700 for a 50" 1080p is getting pretty reasonable

and financed with 6-18 months no interest...........hmm, I might be getting another new TV :rolleyes:

Silver_2000
02-08-2007, 10:05 AM
and financed with 6-18 months no interest...........hmm, I might be getting another new TV :rolleyes:

I just need to find a piece of furniture to hold it that has a swivel so I can point it to my desk in the next room

TP Derrick D
02-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Steve are you still looking for a tv, i have a Toshiba 52" wide screen DLP @ the pawn shop i work at, its priced @ $1499.99, thats not bad for that size, jus givin you a heads ups

RSVT,
You're pretty new here and I don't think I know you but what pawn shop you work at? I keep my eye open for good deals from time to time. Anywhere near south Arlington/north Mansfield?

L-Fever
02-08-2007, 12:12 PM
This is a great deal on a great 42" HDTV plasma.

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?zipz=11001&x=TH42PX60U&w=1

6 cent ground shipping!

TP Derrick D
02-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Steve-O, check your e-mail. sent you one about 10:45pm Feb 9th.

TP Derrick D
07-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Mark,
Since you're the man and expert on this ,thought I'd hollar at you for a minute. I'm looking to buy my 1st flat panel but just a small one for my grandson 13th birthday. Either a 23" or 26" to fit inside the TV space and still close the door on the dresser thing in his BR. Also it will be replacing the 20+ year old 19" Sharp thats on its last leg. When I was looking at laptops I went to Urbanlaps as recommended by Doug and found them selling 23" Dells,as well as other sites on e-bay with refurbished ones. Just not sure what the numbers 480,720,& 1080 along with the letters "p" & "i" behind them mean. Probably could go to Frys/Circuit City and ask but they may say anything they think I want to hear just to sell it. I'm just looking for a basic flat panel for him but I'm learning the terms as I go because I'm hoping to replace the 23 y.o. Curtis Mathes upstairs later this year with a big screen flat panel.

Mark #2
07-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Some good reading here:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,125816-page,1/article.html

For small Sharp, Samsung, and LG, all make good LCD panels.
I like the LG panels as they tend to have a higher contrast ratio.

Anything over ~46" go DLP 1080p 3D ready.

03LightningRocks
07-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Derrick,

I know you where asking Mark a question, but I thought I would pass on something I found out with my last 2 TV purchases. You can buy them online for about 30 percent less than at a bricks and morter store. I saved around 600 bucks on my 60" DLP at Butterflyphoto.com http://www.butterflyphoto.com and around 400 bucks on a plasma 42 inch on Amazon.com. Both had great delivery and even offered to set the TV up when they arrived at my home. No tax is gravy. Amazon delivered free and the savings at butterflyphoto was after the shipping costs. Just get the model number of the TV your interested in and search it on the net. It has worked great for me twice now...:tu:.

GoldLS1
07-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Love my TV.... Sony 60" SXRD. Great pic with some tweeking.

TP Derrick D
07-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Derrick,

I know you where asking Mark a question, but I thought I would pass on something I found out with my last 2 TV purchases. You can buy them online for about 30 percent less than at a bricks and morter store. I saved around 600 bucks on my 60" DLP at Butterflyphoto.com http://www.butterflyphoto.com and around 400 bucks on a plasma 42 inch on Amazon.com. Both had great delivery and even offered to set the TV up when they arrived at my home. No tax is gravy. Amazon delivered free and the savings at butterflyphoto was after the shipping costs. Just get the model number of the TV your interested in and search it on the net. It has worked great for me twice now...:tu:.

Hey thanks Rocks, I asked Mark because I know thats what he do for a living, kinda like asking you about AC, just don't want a bunch of answers from Jacks that don't know any more that I do but behind a keyboard they smarter & faster than everybody on Earth. I been surfing regular e-bay but now that you gave me other places to surf, I'll see you there.