PDA

View Full Version : The Three Legged Hog

bluesvt
01-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Went out this morn and shot me this. Only about a 160lb piggy but after I shot it I went over and noticed it only had three legs. Gutted it and will have some awesome meat in two weeks. I know it looks like it was a bad shot but it went at an angle and thats the exit so he dropped. Also got a little education on hogs and about the "amazing" HOGZILLA. In all actuality HOGZILLA is not very impressive. Maybe it's something about Georgia that just likes making a big deal about their pigs. Recently in a Georgia paper a guy shot an 1100lb pig and once again trying to make it a world record. The man I was talking to said that here in Texas a 600lb pig is an everyday thing and about 5 years ago he had an 1100lb and a 1300lb Ferrel hog he processed. They took them to a truck scale to weigh them and he had some pics of both of them in his shop. The noses were touching the floor and feet almost to the roof that was about 12 feet high. I would guess the pigs were 10ft, and the guys did not even care what they had shot they just wanted the meat. I know there are some 500lb+ out on our property due to extremely big tracks I have seen and almost 4 foot high rubs. Just thought I would share that to any of you hog hunters. :tu:

Edit: The big hogs were shot in Thockmorton, TX

bluesvt
01-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Here is stubby.

bluesvt
01-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Another of stubby and some marking on the land of a monster.

StormShadow
01-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Sweet. That dude had a baby arm!

slick-svt
01-28-2007, 08:10 PM
I just bought a new bow and I'm dying to go hog hunting to try it out, I need to find a good place. Any ideas???

wesman
01-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Can't get on board with hog hunting.....no sport in it at all....those are by far some of the dumbest animals I've ever come across.

If someone is in it for meat purposes, more power to you....for sport...it's like shooting a dog.

--wes

gbgary
01-28-2007, 09:57 PM
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2195&d=1170025925

you sure you wanna eat that? lol

those are by far some of the dumbest animals I've ever come across.

--wes

lol...i saw a video of a guy that walked-up behind one, that was making a bunch of noise near his deer stand, and kicked it in the ass.

bluesvt
01-28-2007, 10:54 PM
I just bought a new bow and I'm dying to go hog hunting to try it out, I need to find a good place. Any ideas???
I told Adam we need to hunt out at our land but we never got around to it. The winter is the best time to do it so after skiing I will see what I can do about getting an extra day off and going out there.

Can't get on board with hog hunting.....no sport in it at all....those are by far some of the dumbest animals I've ever come across.

If someone is in it for meat purposes, more power to you....for sport...it's like shooting a dog.

--wes

Domesticated pigs are some of the smartest animals and I find Ferral hogs to be pretty smart depending on age. People say they have poor eyesight but their sense of smell and hearing is excellent. It is pretty hard to find them during the day while just walking around and at night it's a little scary especially running into a few of them and having them attack. I have no experience with an attack but a few guys in Jacksboro have some good stories of why they stopped hunting them due to the risk.

Man until you have had a real pig and not some raised one you have no idea. They have so much flavor and taste awesome! Once the get about 200lbs+ there are some limitations on what you can make out of them due to the meat getting very tough.

my2002lightning
01-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Good job, Kyle! knana FYI, when you field-dress them, take a look at their liver and slice it several different ways with no "marbling" to make sure that they don't have worms of any sort.

I've sampled wild-boar steaks before and was good, but I just can't seem to get past some of the things I've seen and heard of pigs and their "dietary intake" as they are scavengers.

Yes, they do seem to have excellent hearing and smell, but their eyesight is poor. They are largely regarded as vermin and target-practice in the off-season.

I've seen them with ears chewed-off and actually "mule-shoe" hooves. Their hoof was just like a horse and not forked like a deer or cow. It's like some sort of mutation in the species.

What rifle/round did you take "tripod"? What range?

Ronald

bluesvt
01-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Rem 700 sps 30-06 about 50 to 60 yrds. Did not check the liver but thats good to know for next time. Thanks

Tex Arcana
01-29-2007, 03:02 PM
I saw the title, "Three-legged Hog", and for some reason I instantly thought of Terry. :vomit:

99WhiteBeast
01-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Sweet. That dude had a baby arm!

:rll: you're killing me

Beaudee
01-29-2007, 07:22 PM
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2195&d=1170025925

lol...i saw a video of a guy that walked-up behind one, that was making a bunch of noise near his deer stand, and kicked it in the ass.

Thats funny!!!Best way to eat em is make chopped BBQ.

dboat
01-29-2007, 09:14 PM
I'd like to get in on some of that bow hunting action.. got my new Hoyt Trykon XL, ready to go...

actually, a group of us up here are looking for a trip to make to Tx to hunt some boar..

Dana

bluesvt
01-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Thats funny!!!Best way to eat em is make chopped BBQ.

Got some summer sausage, smoked sausage, and breakfast sausage. Butterfly pork chops, steaks and some ground meat for some burgers. Should be ready sometime next week. :tu:

bluesvt
01-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I hope you bow guys have a gun with you on the hunt or someone else that does. This guy got a good one with a bow but I bet if it was coming at you, you better be looking for a tree. :tu:

wesman
01-31-2007, 01:10 AM
I told Adam we need to hunt out at our land but we never got around to it. The winter is the best time to do it so after skiing I will see what I can do about getting an extra day off and going out there.

Domesticated pigs are some of the smartest animals and I find Ferral hogs to be pretty smart depending on age. People say they have poor eyesight but their sense of smell and hearing is excellent. It is pretty hard to find them during the day while just walking around and at night it's a little scary especially running into a few of them and having them attack. I have no experience with an attack but a few guys in Jacksboro have some good stories of why they stopped hunting them due to the risk.

Man until you have had a real pig and not some raised one you have no idea. They have so much flavor and taste awesome! Once the get about 200lbs+ there are some limitations on what you can make out of them due to the meat getting very tough.

Those things are dumb as sh!t...I've been hunting them since I was 12....they'll walk out damn near anywhere and do just about anything. I've been sitting in a deer stand waiting for a real dear(not a Ronald dear...love you :ron: ) and have them sit under my tree, rub on it, and then plop down for a couple of hours and go to sleep....meanwhile I'm up there making all sorts of racket to get them the hell out of there and not scare off the deer.

I can't argue the fact that those bastards are mean as all hell and will chase that a$$ if you miss from the ground, especially if it's with a bow.....been there done that....and I've seen some of you little fellas in the club....some of these hogs outweigh you...bring a buddy with a gun if you're bow hunting.

--wes

bluesvt
01-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Was not disagreeing with you Wes just saying domesticated pigs are extremely smart. I dunno if these are so much dumb as they are stubborn they do not have any real threats around here besides man and the occasional Mt. Lion. A baby walked up on me fishing and took off running but I have walked past many older hogs and they will just stand and stare at you which is a little scary when you have no gun.

dboat
01-31-2007, 09:27 PM
The issue is that feral hogs are territorial and are not scared.. they stick around to protect their area from intruders..

StormShadow
01-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Lemme know when you go back Kyle. I got me a 30-06 now.

L8 APEX
01-31-2007, 11:52 PM
People are the ones that need killin, leave the poor little animals alone!;) . Somebody find that video of the hunter kicking the hog in the ass!:beer:

Beaudee
02-01-2007, 04:50 PM
People are the ones that need killin, leave the poor little animals alone!;) . Somebody find that video of the hunter kicking the hog in the ass!:beer:
http://www.break.com/index/hunterkicksboar.html :d

bluesvt
02-01-2007, 05:28 PM
:rll: Would have sucked if the mom was watching since it did not look like he had a gun.

bluesvt
02-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Lemme know when you go back Kyle. I got me a 30-06 now.

I am going to try to get a day off soon while the weather is the way it is. Prob be in two weeks or so and it will be a Fri Sat and Sun deal. I still have not done any of my stuff but I am not worried about it with hogs you don't need a license either. :tu:

tiffo60
02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
I am going to try to get a day off soon while the weather is the way it is. Prob be in two weeks or so and it will be a Fri Sat and Sun deal. I still have not done any of my stuff but I am not worried about it with hogs you don't need a license either. :tu:

if you go out next fri and sat, i may attend, i have a hog killer that i would like to send a few rounds thru

bluesvt
02-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Tifton you were not invited. J/K :tu: I am leaving to New Mexico tonight until Wed so it would have to be the 16th, 17th and 18th before I can call in sick.You are welcome to attend though. :beer: