PDA

View Full Version : What's in your diesel?

L8 APEX
01-16-2007, 09:07 PM
A TALON diesel buddy stopped by today and complained about a slow diesel pump at the Exxon station. He said he only got 5 gallons to get him by to the next stop. A few miles down the road the water in fuel light came on. This got me curious so I went out in the cold arse parking lot. I crawled under my truck and drained the seperator which has 14K miles on it. No real sign of water so Donnie gets curious and I go drain his. His seperator was full of fuzzy diesel and water. Here are the two samples side by side, mine is on the right. There is over a half inch of water in the bottom of his cup and it is slowly settling out. The diesel looks like lemonade, ick!
This goes to show how important it is to buy quality diesel from a station that moves a lot of fuel. Another important thing is to find a station that changes the filters in the pumps themselves. You can usually tell this by how fast the pump dispenses fuel. A super slow pump is likely clogged with water and debris. I buy my fuel from Loves and Flying J truck stops when possible. I have found the staitons in town like the mom and pops sell a lot of gas but very little diesel and their diesel usually sucks. I get diesel for my shop heater at the Chevron down the street and it is icky fuel. There is a collection of gunk in the bottom of my race jug from their pump. Whenever I first pump diesel I pull the nozzle out a little and visually check it for a respectable color etc..
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/6072/medium/CIMG7229.JPG

99bolt
01-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Thats the worst I've ever seen it. The good thing is, the water in fuel warning hasn't come back on.

PoorSvtman
01-16-2007, 10:07 PM
whats the difference in the red diesel.. i know the red has sulfur or something.. but whats the difference realy? We put the red in all our vehicles at work

Chris94L
01-16-2007, 10:23 PM
whats the difference in the red diesel.. i know the red has sulfur or something.. but whats the difference realy? We put the red in all our vehicles at work
Isn't red "farm diesel"? which is pretty much off highway use only?

BC Lightning
01-16-2007, 10:24 PM

no difference, we used red dyed diesel in all of our truck and mowers at DBU, its colored for farm use and I guess state vehicles and such, I was told that if you had red diesel in your tank and you got caught you could be fined

PoorSvtman
01-16-2007, 11:09 PM
no difference, we used red dyed diesel in all of our truck and mowers at DBU, its colored for farm use and I guess state vehicles and such, I was told that if you had red diesel in your tank and you got caught you could be fined

well there is a differance just did a quick google.. basicly the red dyed has more sulfur in it but could be wrong... im off to bed, put in 40 hours at work in 3 days im pooped

L8 APEX
01-16-2007, 11:16 PM
No difference in the fuel, the red dye just marks it as non tax fuel. There is no road tax paid on red diesel so it is about 39 cents a gallon cheaper. I am suprised the city runs non-taxed fuel on the road. I think they run regular taxed gasoline?

PoorSvtman
01-16-2007, 11:19 PM
No difference in the fuel, the red dye just marks it as non tax fuel. There is no road tax paid on red diesel so it is about 39 cents a gallon cheaper. I am suprised the city runs non-taxed fuel on the road. I think they run regular taxed gasoline?

I work for the state tho, not the city.. state dose what they want lol...