PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather issues

L8 APEX
01-16-2007, 12:58 AM
I had to use the trailer while the temps were below freezing shortly after our ice storm. All of the locks were frozen over with rain. The cable I run through the wheels for storage was also as stiff as a board. So I used my BernzOmatic mapp gas click torch to defrost said items. Then when I was done with the trailer and put it back in storage the damn locks were frozen again. So back to the flaming. I wonder how folks in colder climates lock stuff up when locks are so freeze prone.. I also had to heat the cable to make it flexible again. It was only 25 degrees out I couldn't imagine real cold weather. The back door was also frozen shut I barely broke it open.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/6088/medium/CIMG7226.JPG

Lyfisin
01-16-2007, 07:56 AM
I wonder how folks in colder climates lock stuff up when locks are so freeze prone..

IIRC, we had some kind of spray stuff in a can that would melt the ice. It probably wasn't great for the paint, but my rusted out 65 Buick LeSabre didn't seem to mind much. :tongue:

Silver_2000
01-16-2007, 09:09 AM
yeah you learn to keep locks well lubed with water exclusion lube and to NEVER use the emergency brakes because the cables rust up and if you try them you will get them on but they wont release