PDA

View Full Version : Gawddam Jeep...Anyone know how to change a fuel pump in a Grand Cherokee?

tliss
01-08-2007, 10:59 PM
I freakin hate Jeeps! The fuel pump in my Grand Cherokee is not keeping the line primed. It runs fine but starting is a beyotch. Been told eventually the dry starts might cause pump failure or worse. Need to replace the pissin pump without getting cornholed by the dealer (they were talking $800+ for the pump and filter + labor) and least out of pocket possible (really sick of sinking money into these pieces of sh!t). I have not found any instructions on how to do this, so I do not know if I can do this myself. Anyone know about this?

Tom

my2002lightning
01-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Tom,

PM sent. I have approx. 20K miles on the '05 Liberty Limited - bought new - and she runs fine with no issues.... so far.:cool:

Ronald

I freakin hate Jeeps! The fuel pump in my Grand Cherokee is not keeping the line primed. It runs fine but starting is a beyotch. Been told eventually the dry starts might cause pump failure or worse. Need to replace the pissin pump without getting cornholed by the dealer (they were talking $800+ for the pump and filter + labor) and least out of pocket possible (really sick of sinking money into these pieces of sh!t). I have not found any instructions on how to do this, so I do not know if I can do this myself. Anyone know about this?

Tom

tliss
01-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Tom,

PM sent. I have approx. 20K miles on the '05 Liberty Limited - bought new - and she runs fine with no issues.... so far.:cool:

Ronald

My wife's is a freakin POS...want to get rid of the damn thing. Carbon buildup has brought the motor to it's knees twice in three years (once under warranty, once out of warranty) and it has had three recalls (two for front ball joints) and two accidents. Grand Cherokee has been a little more reliable but still soaking too much cash into that sinking ship. If I could trade them both for two new vehicles and not break the bank I would. Hell, at this point I would rather ride my bike to work than buy another DC vehicle....

Tom

TP Derrick D
01-09-2007, 03:57 PM
My wife's is a freakin POS...want to get rid of the damn thing. Carbon buildup has brought the motor to it's knees twice in three years (once under warranty, once out of warranty) and it has had three recalls (two for front ball joints) and two accidents. Grand Cherokee has been a little more reliable but still soaking too much cash into that sinking ship. If I could trade them both for two new vehicles and not break the bank I would. Hell, at this point I would rather ride my bike to work than buy another DC vehicle....

Tom

Tom, between you & I, yeah right, a friend of mine just got rid of his Jeep SRT-8 because he said it was a p.o.s!! thing about it he just had to have it. So he traded his Explorer in on it last year now he's back in an Explorer so i'm giving him he!! about trying to get back into the Blue Oval family especially after he sold a really hot street Stang to get a Vette,sold it, then an Explorer
and traded it for the SRT @ $50,000. I told him he could have gotten a low mile Harley & a used low mile Explorer for that. Damn that SRT-8 looked good tho.

99WhiteBeast
01-09-2007, 04:04 PM
What is it- a liberty or GC?

Pumps are in the fuel tank- its not going to be easy but way cheaper than $800:eek:.

Have you thought about Terry taking a look?

tliss
01-09-2007, 04:34 PM
What is it- a liberty or GC?

Pumps are in the fuel tank- its not going to be easy but way cheaper than $800:eek:.

Have you thought about Terry taking a look?

I wanted to see if he'd jump in and say he could do it or not. It's on the GC. I figured it was in the tank...giant pain in the ass....

Tom

Mark #2
01-09-2007, 05:57 PM
I wanted to see if he'd jump in and say he could do it or not. It's on the GC. I figured it was in the tank...giant pain in the ass....

Tom
Pick up the carpet in the rear and see if there is an access panel to the top of the tank, some vehicles have one.

mikelemoine
01-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Hey Tliss, I hear ya. I leased a 99 GC Limited brand new (first year w/ 4.7L) and the fuel pump did the same thing within the first 5K miles. The dealer said they had seen that quite a few times before. I had that sucker in the shop many times for differential noise (changed front and rear diffs/axles), dead pwr window motor in the first month and of course the fuel pump. While it was a POS with too many problems, I still liked it. My wife's had 2 Liberty's since and never had an issue with either (except ball joint recalls). Funny thing was we drove my GC to turn it in (lease up) and pick up the first Liberty, and the GC went into limp mode on the way to the dealer. I only had second gear! Glad it had 35912 miles on it so the warranty had an hour or so left, I handed the keys over and said good riddins! I was worried about buying another Jeep, but "it was cute" so the wife had to have it (we all know cute's more important than reliability, right?).

BTW, Try turning your key on and waiting a second before turning over to let the pump repressurize. Then it should start ok for the time being. Might have to cycle the key twice before cranking, depending on how bad you leak down. That got me by until my new pump came in anyway. Might also be worthwhile to talk to your dealer, there may be an out of warranty program on the pump since it's a common issue. They must have fixed it in the Liberty, have over 80K and never a hiccup...:hammer: (knocking on wood). Hope this helps....Mike

Tom