Silver_2000
11-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Please use Firefox as much as possible
AND make sure you have antivirus installed- updated and running

there are a number of IE related downloader scripts infecting sites lately

Doug

Lyfisin
11-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Here's the link for anyone that doesn't have it.

Mod - EDIT - Link to Firefox is at the bottom of the pages here - Talon Gets a buck for the install

It really is a great browser. Anyone using Opera?

Tex Arcana
11-20-2006, 07:48 PM
I would suggest, for the Windows users, Sygate Personal Firewall, which can be found here (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sygate_Personal_Firewall_Free_d3356.html) Works much better than the Windows-supplied firewall, and is configurable.

Tex Arcana
11-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Here's the link for anyone that doesn't have it.

Mod - EDIT - Link to Firefox is at the bottom of the pages here - Talon Gets a buck for the install

It really is a great browser. Anyone using Opera?

I've used it in the past, and it was a really good browser, very fast and had few issues with it. :tu:

bluesvt
11-21-2006, 02:42 AM
I would suggest, for the Windows users, Sygate Personal Firewall, which can be found here (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sygate_Personal_Firewall_Free_d3356.html) Works much better than the Windows-supplied firewall, and is configurable.

Error 1904 or something, do I even need this stuff? I tried to download and got the error and froze. :stupidc

Silver_2000
11-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Error 1904 or something, do I even need this stuff? I tried to download and got the error and froze. :stupidc

Make sure you also have a router on your broadband connection

Doug

Silver_2000
11-21-2006, 11:52 AM

Im surprised that symantec hasn't screwed this product up yet

if you install the firewall it will BLOCK EVERYTHING unless you click to allow it - so unless you know the names and functions of the applications that access the web its a waste of time - because 90% of users will unblock everything to keep their system from locking up and to make sure stuff works

Doug

Silver_2000
11-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Well in my research it appears that Sygate Personal firewall is all but gone

The pogram doesnt exsit on Symantecs site - and if you install the free version and try to buy the real version it sends you to a page on symantecs site that says
http://www.symantec.com/images/errors/notfound/us.errors.looking.something.gif
The page you were looking for was not found. The link may be outdated, or you may have typed the address (URL) incorrectly. You may find what you are looking for in one of the links below.

seems odd they would give up that revenue if they intended to keep it alive

Doug

Tex Arcana
11-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Well in my research it appears that Sygate Personal firewall is all but gone

The pogram doesnt exsit on Symantecs site - and if you install the free version and try to buy the real version it sends you to a page on symantecs site that says

seems odd they would give up that revenue if they intended to keep it alive

Doug

It's an older version, but it works fine. Go figure, no clue why they do it this way, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Also, like you said, if you know waht the application is (and the software gives you the option to look at what and where the app is), you can hit the checkbox to always allow it. Personally, I like to know what's sending and recieving, so I don't typically check the box unless it's my antivirus update or somesuch. It also does a very good job of blocking intrusions.

98Cobra
11-21-2006, 07:26 PM
It's an older version, but it works fine. Go figure, no clue why they do it this way, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Also, like you said, if you know waht the application is (and the software gives you the option to look at what and where the app is), you can hit the checkbox to always allow it. Personally, I like to know what's sending and recieving, so I don't typically check the box unless it's my antivirus update or somesuch. It also does a very good job of blocking intrusions.

Firewalls like that suck for anyone who plays online games though...just a warning...

Tex Arcana
11-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Firewalls like that suck for anyone who plays online games though...just a warning...

Good catch on that, tho it can be disabled for game, or configured to allow your gaming. I don't game online, so it's not an issue for me.