PDA

View Full Version : Roller Rocker arms?

mardyn
11-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Anybody running the Ford 1.7 roller rockers on their Gen1... I've got 'em on mine and it just doesn't run right. Not sure if it's the rocker arms or not, but it only wants to go to about 5K rpm and seems to run out of steam. EGTs on each individual cylinders are all over the place at idle... Just wondering if anybody else has tried them.

mardyn

Sixpipes
11-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Gukimuchi17 had 1.7s on his old set up and it ran pretty good. I find it hard to believe that just the change from 1.6s to 1.7s would cause a significant problem. The Gen I does usually run out of juice at 5K in stock form (redline is 5K), but that is not that unusual for a normally aspirated motor. Cams, heads, or forced induction will certainly help solve the problem, but if you have a fairly stock truck, what you are describing seems normal to me. :cool:

WA 2 FST
11-11-2006, 11:28 PM
How many miles on the truck? Are the valvesprings stock? If so, you may be experiencing some valve float with the more aggressive rockers.

I ran 1.7s on my '94, but it didn't a lot of miles on it. When I put the MAF conversion on it and tried to spin it up past 5300-5400rpm, I would get valve float...feels a little like you're hitting a soft rev-limiter. So with older valvesprings (I'm just assuming the springs are stock and you have high miles on the truck) this may be your problem.

mardyn
11-18-2006, 05:50 PM
The engine is my car... probably has about 30K miles on it. The rocker arm deal is a reach I know... very little difference between the 1.6 or 1.7s, It's just got a bug in it somewhere that I've be unable to locate :confused: and I'm starting to get a bit frustrated...

Thanks for the info.

mardyn

charlie
11-18-2006, 06:42 PM
First question. Did you shim it right?
Is there any unusual valve train noise?

Double check all vacuum lines. (loose, leaking, in the right place)
Also check all the electrical in the areas you where working in. (Old plastic brakes easy.)

Charlie

mardyn
11-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Valve train is quiet, no noticable clicks or ticks, I'm gonna' pull the upper intake off and do some further inspection on the injector harness and cannon plugs... something has got to be loose somewhere. The damn thing is just too erratic, one minute it's fine, the next it's missing like hell.

mardyn

Turbo93l
12-13-2006, 02:25 PM
I run 1.6 RR with a 5.0 HO cam, great combo!