PDA

View Full Version : Some 50K mile maint..

L8 APEX
11-06-2006, 11:27 PM
I rolled 54K on the way home today.
Sunday I spent some time at the shop pulling maintenance on the truck. There are two general tables to for maint scheduling one being mileage the other being time. I mix and match them to suite my obsessions.. I decided to flush the power steering/hydraboost system with new Mobil1 synthetic ATF. I used about 3qts total for this task.
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Images/Products/atf_synthetic_top.gif

I flushed the brake fluid with Valvoline synthetic Dot4+.
http://www.valvoline.com/images/products/productpages/bottle_bot_057.jpg
The resivour holds a solid quart itself! I used about a quart and a half to do this and the result was a firmer brake pedal. I did what will probably be my final rotation on the tires. I plugged one nail hole and got lucky with one nail not puncturing the tire. I may change the transfer case fluid at 60K just to get some good synthetic in there.

dboat
11-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Terry,

would you recommend that syn brake fluid for an L? I had my brake fluid replaced over a year ago, but didnt know about the syn stuff.. the shop guys thought I was a loon for changing my brake fluid.. :rolleyes:

Dana

L8 APEX
11-07-2006, 09:51 PM
I choose it because it is cheap and easy to find. I can only hope it is less hygroscopic than conventional fluids. The wet boiling point is all I ever go by. I think theirs is in the high 300's which is pretty good. In my Lightning I ran Motul RBF 600 exclusively it was about 590 dry and 421 wet. It was 16 bucks a pint. Looking back I might have gone with Castrol SRF which is all but illegal in the US these days and was $75 a quart. The SRF was about 590 dry 570 wet amazing.. For heavy road racing I would also add a Viper racing derrived brake fluid circulation system:cool: . The Vipers were such a heavy race car they would circulate fluid through the calipers when you were off the pedal. This kept the fluid from boiling during rigorous road racing.

dboat
11-08-2006, 03:48 AM
I choose it because it is cheap and easy to find. I can only hope it is less hygroscopic than conventional fluids. The wet boiling point is all I ever go by. I think theirs is in the high 300's which is pretty good. In my Lightning I ran Motul RBF 600 exclusively it was about 590 dry and 421 wet. It was 16 bucks a pint. Looking back I might have gone with Castrol SRF which is all but illegal in the US these days and was $75 a quart. The SRF was about 590 dry 570 wet amazing.. For heavy road racing I would also add a Viper racing derrived brake fluid circulation system:cool: . The Vipers were such a heavy race car they would circulate fluid through the calipers when you were off the pedal. This kept the fluid from boiling during rigorous road racing.

:tu: thanks